Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Golf 7.5 LCD digital instrument replacement - advice appreciated

Users Country Flag

Yeah we are really punished by not having proper right to repair laws here.
    I would happily pay for proper access. I have enquired multiple times to VW Aus and always had zero reply.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Replacing the LCD will cause zero issues. It has no coding or CP. It's just a display.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DonDubber View Post
    Don, is fitting a replacement LCD screen to the original J285 likely to cause Brake Module issues? I have previously had the car battery disconnected for several days continuously when fitting/wiring front & rear dash cams, and all J285 fault lights (steering, ACC, parking sensors, etc) when reconnecting the battery thankfully disappeared after a 1km drive around the block several times. I then was able to use OBDeleven to easily clear the stored fault codes as well, with no continuing issues.
    Removing the battery leads is not the issue - as I say, I have NO idea why it sometimes happens. I would be embolden by @ Kamold advice below:

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Replacing the LCD will cause zero issues. It has no coding or CP. It's just a display.
    Nevertheless, for added security and because it's an easy task, make sure that you have a copy of an up-to-date SCAN that shows the module long-code strings. (VCDS scans does this as default - but if you are using OBD11, you need to enable the freeze-frame data option)

Don
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks guys for the further advice above, and yes I'll do a backup scan with OBDeleven before I start any disassembly. Should I also disconnect battery?
    I've located a supposedly identical replacement screen on AE (404 page) for about $270 delivered in OZ, with a free return possible if I chicken out at the last moment

PS: the AE reference is: 404 page (apparently my copy & paste directly from AE site doesn't work)

Didn't work again - log on to AE and search for item 1005005856183934

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12