Support VWWC

Page 1 of 111 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Firmware updates for RNS510 units in Australia/NZ

Users Country Flag

Firmware updates for RNS510 units in Australia/NZ

The (semi) definative guide to firmware versions for the RNS510 in Australia/NZ

NOTE: For RNS510 owners in Europe, please see this guide:

Also this is definately NOT suitable for North America units.

DISCLAIMER

User accepts all responsibility for modifying their RNS510.
    Loading firmware will possibly delete your map data and music. You have been warned.
    Please read all the warnings here before continuing.

Additional warning:
    DO NOT attempt to load firmware 4120 on a unit with HW radio version 0003 or below (check in test menu under version information). You could permanently damage your unit!

Firstly, I am not a guru. I have compiled this information from some excellent sources, namely Maverick at my-gti.com and josi from vwnavi.com. I welcome all suggestions for improvements/corrections to this guide. Don't flame me, suggest what needs changing and I will edit this guide. This is designed to help users new to firmware loads so they don't have to trawl through all the info spread across multiple forums/threads.

How do I find out what revision of hardware my RNS510 is?
    There are two methods (well three):
    1. Interrogate the unit with VCDS
    2. Use the 'secret menu' on the RNS510 to have it tell you itself
    3. Take the unit out and look at the sticker on the outside.

Refer to Accessing the Setup Menu on RNS 510 head units with firmware version 2660 / 2662 / 2664 / 2666 / 2668 | my-gti.com for how to enable the secret menu if it doesn't work by just holding down the setup button for 20 seconds.

See the following link for a list of known part numbers:
    RNS510 Part numbers

Updated May 2015: All RNS510 units with a hard drive can safely install 523x firmware. There is no need to install incremental versions. For example, if your unit is running 1100 firmware, you can just install 523x, no need to install 2760 or 3810 or similar.
    If you have a new SSD-drive unit you should already have 6000 series firmware installed, no need to update. For all other units, 5238 is your best option.

Firmware 523x - Link
    Alternate link

Refer to this thread on gpsunderground for some more detail, or for some model specific fixes eg Toureg RVC etc
    http://gpsunderground.com/forum/volk...downloads.html

Want more space to store music? Consider replacing the hard drive with a larger Solid State drive using JohnC's excellent guide here:
    RNS-510 HDD replacement/SSD swap DIY

Installation instructions:

1. Firstly, have your VW map DVD on hand ready to install. You will need this to reload the mapping data onto the RNS510 hard drive.

2. Download the .iso file from the links above. Burn to a CD at the SLOWEST possible speed using a program such as imgburn. The RNS510 units are notorious for being very picky about cd media. If your firmware load fails, its more likely than not that it just can't read the CD. Try again with a different brand of CD, try a different burner, or use a DVDR. NOTE: I have had good success with burning using xpcdburner onto TDK CDR media using Track At Once recording method.

3. Unlock the car. DO NOT put the keys in the ignition. Turn on the RNS510 and let it start up. Insert your firmware CD and follow the instructions on the screen. The unit will reboot a few times. The whole process can take an hour.

4. Insert your map DVD and load the maps. In order to use custom POIs you need Aus/NZ map DVD version 4.1 or above.

5. Consider a custom load screen RNS-510 Custom Boot Screens

6. Load up custom POIs via the SDCard slot using this thread (for firmware 3xxx and above only):
    Collection of POI's

Notes:
    This firmware image file has been modified to use a custom partition scheme. The default scheme wastes a lot of the usable space. The default scheme is 50/25/25.
    Custom scheme is 90/5/5 where 90% of available space is used for music, 5% for maps and 5% for custom Points of Interest.
    If you install a larger HDD, the ratios stay the same, the sizes of each partition just increase.
    For default ratios, refer to the link above to gpsunderground.

Video In Motion and 'secret' menu have been enabled in all images. Watching a DVD whilst in motion is illegal in most countries.

Refer to Unofficial 272x software and SWL recovery CD for 'recovery' firmware if the load fails and your unit becomes unresponsive.
    Alternative link (VWWC)
    Last edited by The_Hawk; 24-09-2020 at 11:28 AM. Reason: New firmware version
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_R View Post
    +rep (if that was possible here)
    Ah, but it is now Ryan!

(And rep added kamold - awesome work!)
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Darn - I made all my helpful posts too early...

I mean that's great!

Users Country Flag
    All went smoothly, as expected with kamold's great contributions. Thanks again to JohnC for the links and boot logo. I'll give it a road test tomorrow.
    Last edited by dencar; 27-03-2012 at 06:35 PM.
    Golf MY11 GTD | Candy White | 5-door | DSG | ACC | RNS-510 | Park Assist

Users Country Flag
    Thanks to kamold, FW upgrade went fine as did map 5. Now I just need to sort out the custom boot screen

---------- Post added at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 AM ----------

Just got the boot screen on, happy now. Thanks karmold and JohnC

can i use the 38X on the next device?
    possible to use the 4XX on this unite?
    Part No SW: 1T0 035 680 B HW: 1T0 035 680 B
    with Can bus F?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    As it says in the guide, you should use 38xx firmware.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    As it says in the guide, you should use 38xx firmware.
    thank you mate for the answer
    after i used the 38XX on my device, unfortunatly i can't copy music to the HDD,
    when i check the capacity its shows is empty, when i go to Media it said no media availble, when i connect SD card it detect it but the HDD is gree and can't copy anything to it,
    sorry for my bad english! isnt my first language,

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Did the HDD work prior to the firmware load?
    If it did, go into the hidden setup menu by holding down setup for 20 seconds.
    Then get the HDD information and post here, may get a better idea of what the issue may be.

Page 1 of 111 1231151101 ... LastLast