Page 105 of 111 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1104

Thread: Firmware updates for RNS510 units in Australia/NZ

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Where are you in QLD I have a V8 sitting in a drawer.

Kamold will come along and help you i guess
    Right near Brisbane CBD. Cheers that would be great if I can get the unit up and running

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Loading firmware, not maps.
    Burn at slowest speed available using session at once with cdburnerxp or imgburn.
    Use good quality cds like TDK gold etc
    Use another burner

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Loading firmware, not maps.
    Burn at slowest speed available using session at once with cdburnerxp or imgburn.
    Use good quality cds like TDK gold etc
    Use another burner

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Thanks Kamold. So does it sound to you like the CD/DVD has not been burnt correctly? I'm currently using Verbatim CD-R and DVD-R. I only have a Mac so can't use the programs you have suggested.

Alternatively do you have a known good disc that you could post to me? I'll happily cover costs.

Edit: Burned using a different program and have managed to proceed to loading the software. Will post details here soon. Fingers crossed!
    Last edited by mcdoofus; 30-04-2021 at 05:23 PM.

It's not quite so much as a 'known good disk'...the units themselves are quite fickle.
    On some units a disk might work and on another it can't be read.
    The recommended just gives you the best fighting chance of it being read successfully.
    If you can't find someone locally who has one sure I can send you one to try.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    It's not quite so much as a 'known good disk'...the units themselves are quite fickle.
    On some units a disk might work and on another it can't be read.
    The recommended just gives you the best fighting chance of it being read successfully.
    If you can't find someone locally who has one sure I can send you one to try.
    Ive got a V8 that worked so will post it down to Brissy and he can pick it up.

Using a MAC is not the best thing to do it on either Ive found
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 30-04-2021 at 07:31 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Hillybilly you're conflating map and firmware disks.
    His issue is his unit won't start, and asks for a firmware update. The disks he has tried have not been able to start the firmware load.
    He needs someone to burn him a 5238 firmware disk with a PC to attempt to recover it.

Users Country Flag
    Hillybilly you're conflating map and firmware disks.
    His issue is his unit won't start, and asks for a firmware update. The disks he has tried have not been able to start the firmware load.
    He needs someone to burn him a 5238 firmware disk with a PC to attempt to recover it.
    No as he wants a map as well and I have both a V8 and a 5238 disk here in an envelope he can have
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    No as he wants a map as well and I have both a V8 and a 5238 disk here in an envelope he can have
    Ok just lacking some clarity. Once he has the unit operational again yes he'll need to reload maps.
    Hopefully can sort him out.

Users Country Flag
    Great news!! I managed to get the 5238 firmware loaded yesterday and it completely fixed my dead unit. I'm going to post some instructions for anyone trying to do this process on a Mac because everything I'd found was for PC only.

If you're on a Mac, download a program called Express Burn (current link is https://www.nch.com.au/components/burnmaci.zip but you should be able to find it on Google if that link doesn't work). This is a free version that you can download, you don't need to pay for the Plus version.

I had previously tried to burn using Finder in OS X, as well as another program called Burn. None of the discs I burnt with those programs loaded in my unit and it simply shut down after displaying "PLEASE INSERT SWL-CD".

By default Macs burn ISOs in a different way to PC, so you'll need to use a specific configuration in Express Burn. I used Verbatim DVD-R from Officeworks ($10 for a pack of 10) and an Apple Superdrive DVD burner.

- Download the appropriate ISO file from the first page of this thread (I used AU_FW_5238_90_5_5.iso for my 2009 MK 6 Golf)
    - Open Express Burn on your Mac
    - Go to the ISO tab at the top of the screen
    - Select 'Write ISO'
    - Select your downloaded ISO file and click Open
    - Choose the slowest write speed possible in the popup window
    - Click 'Burn'

Then once the disk has burnt you will be able to follow all of the other instructions as per the first page of this thread. Kamold can I suggest adding the above instructions to the first page of the thread for any Mac users like me who get stuck at the burning DVD stage?

Massive thanks to Kamold and Hillbilly for their help. The dealership told me a replacement unit would be thousands of dollars, and recommended I spend $500 on a new off-brand head unit. You have saved myself and countless others thousands of dollars, so I'd like to make a small donation to the charities of your choice. Please send me a PM or reply in this thread with your chosen charity and I'll make a donation.

Users Country Flag

Awesome to hear it's all working now! Kamold is a genius when it comes to these things

All my discs for the RNS510 were burned on a Mac with a super drive and I never had any issues, although I'm back on a PC now and have no idea what application I used to use on the Mac (but I don't think it was Burn).

As for a replacement, as much as I love my RNS510, CarPlay/Android Auto is now a thing and units which support that are so much better in most regards. There is even a (mostly) plug and play OEM offering in the RCD330Plus, something I keep considering as an upgrade for my own Golf. Our Multivan has always had a Pioneer head unit and a couple of years ago I updated that to a CarPlay capable unit, best thing I could have ever done. I've just ordered a Wireless CarPlay dongle too so will see if that saves me having to buy a whole new headunit to achieve that wireless lifestyle

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Page 105 of 111 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107 ... LastLast