Support VWWC

Page 1 of 106 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: DNS series head unit (new generation dual core RNS-510 alternative)

Users Country Flag

DNS series head unit (new generation dual core RNS-510 alternative)

This thread is about the new generation dual core DNS series units. It is an upgrade of the previous ANS series units. The ANS series thread is below:
    ANS-810 / ANS-510 (PROPER RNS-510 alternative)

A pre-production batch was sent out to approximately 15 customers who opted in. Several issues have been identified which are to be fixed in the final production unit. A group buy is currently running and for now, please find all details on the unit here:

Group Buy / EOI new generation DNS head units (RNS-510 alternative)

This thread will be filled with detailed product information after the group buy closes. At the moment the purpose is to direct queries and feedback here as it would be more appropriate than the Parts for Sale section, and also because I'm unable to add much more to the OP in the group buy thread due to character limit.

Firmware and useful links will be placed in this and the following reserved posts - I will expand them as necessary.

Current Status

The bugs / issues listed in the bugtracker spreadsheet below are now rather out of date. The main issue awaiting resolution at the moment is the SD / navigation clash issue where songs may stutter or refuse to change to the next track, when navigation is running in the foreground. The current status is that if the issue is not fixed, or has a set fix date by the beginning of May, I will switch navigation software to Sygic, which does not have this clash issue, and wrap up the group buy.

Bug tracker / tips / useful info

The below is a spreadsheet compiled by the customers who received the pre-production units. Note because it is a public document there are issues in there that may already be resolved in new firmware versions, or issues that may duplicate / be related to other issues. Huge thanks to all that contributed to this spreadsheet, especially moda who cleaned it up and gathered useful information.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...=sharing#gid=0

Note down the bottom there are 4 worksheets. The last worksheet can be ignored. The first worksheet is the bug tracker, second worksheet is the firmware update procedure, and the third worksheet is a compilation of tips and tricks.

Latest firmware - NOTE PLEASE FLASH MCU FIRST!!!

Latest Firmware (BSP + MPU + MCU) June 2014 Read new instructions in spreadsheet
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...May14V0.17.rar

Latest Firmware (BSP + MPU + MCU) May 2014
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...May14V0.13.rar

February firmware with TEST MCU for DNS-810 ONLY:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...10_only%29.zip

Update instructions per spreadsheet above, second worksheet.

Changed features since announcement

Mirroring module

Previously it was announced by Audiosources that two-way Android mirroring (i.e. with controls via the unit) was going to be a feature of the unit. It turned out that they created an optional module for this feature, but instead of two-way communication it is only one way (i.e. display only, still need phone to control). The flip side is that this module is also compatible with iPhones. This module is $55, with $5 extra for a Samsung adapter.

To those in the group buy who expected mirroring to be a feature rather than an add-on module at additional cost, the module is offered at $45 instead.

Screen

Previously the screen was announced to be capacitive. However this has now been changed back to resistive due to driver compatibility issues with WinCE. The resistive screen is of good quality (the factory RNS-510 is also resistive).

Delayed features

The features / modules previously announced below have been delayed and will come in the future. Software features will simply be applied by a future firmware update.

Full three-line MFD display (currently only one line)
    MFD navigation display
    ID3 tag-based music library (currently folder-based, but is capable of shuffling across folders)
    better iPhone integration (currently basic and missing memory of song / position on shutdown)
    OBD2 module
    trip recorder
    DAB+ module

White screen / monsun.exe error

Some who received the pre-production unit have come across a white screen error. Others come across monsun.exe error while playing SD. It is unclear if the two are related at the moment, but the white-screen error has been tracked to a faulty resistor which will be replaced in the final production unit. Those with the pre-production unit experiencing issues will be able to exchange for a final production unit on release. International customers will need to send the unit back to Audiosources and local Australian customers will send it back to me.

monsun.exe error is under investigation and should either be related to the resistor fault or software memory leak. In the latter scenario a firmware update would fix the issue. However the technicians have not been able to replicate this yet, so anyone who is able to replicate it please let me know and describe in as much detail as possible how the issue occurs, including if GPS is running in the background, if route guidance is on (i.e. during a trip), and what song / file type is being played, how big the file is, how long the unit has been on for etc.
    Last edited by DkN; 16-06-2014 at 05:42 PM.
    TR 08 Golf GT TDI, Custom Code Phase 1, Milltek Exhaust, Whiteline RSB + ALK, APR Carbonio Intake

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    FAQs

Below is a list of FAQs which I will compile as questions are raised. Feel free to suggest what to add in here as I'm sure I will miss a few.

How do I change the skin from VW to Skoda?
    You need to access the hidden menu. The procedure for this is in the Google Spreadsheet in the first post. Basically just go to Aux-In and then press and hold the middle of the far left of the screen. You can choose the boot and loading screens here. To change key colour, go to the normal menu by pressing the hardware Menu button, choose Display and change the key colour to green.

The radio antenna connector doesn't fit properly into the back of the DNS unit!
    The DNS FAKRA port is the joined dual FAKRA type. Generally if you have a pre-2009 VW your car will instead have two separate single FAKRA connectors. To ensure best radio reception you will need this adapter:

Radio Adapter Cable Twin Fakra White Jack TO 2FAKRA Waterblue Plug FOR VW RCD510 | eBay

In case the eBay link gets broken, the adapter looks like this:

DNS series head unit (new generation dual core RNS-510 alternative)-pic_1z0051551a-jpg
    Last edited by DkN; 24-11-2014 at 02:47 PM.
    TR 08 Golf GT TDI, Custom Code Phase 1, Milltek Exhaust, Whiteline RSB + ALK, APR Carbonio Intake

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    reserved 2

Users Country Flag
    I think it was mentioned before somewhere, but are there confirmed plans for DAB radio?

Users Country Flag
    I've found some sort of small issue since the update, sometimes when playing radio all works well but as soon as you start the car the radio never returns, never happened before, 2 times since the most recent update. I'll add it to the Google doc if it isn't already in there.
    Mine: -MK5 Golf 2.0TDI[Deiselgeek sigma 6 shifter + H&R 50mm lowering springs + GTI Tartan interior + Audi 18x8 A6 wheels(Dark Steel)]
    -MK1 Golf The re-spray/re-build
    In the family: -MK5 Jetta 2.0TDI, -9N3 Polo TDI, -6R Polo TDI, -Mitsubishi S^$&box van
    A pattern seems to be forming...

Its in there I believe, my unit has had that issue since the start

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    What am I meant to do when I get the screen pointer calibration coming up after the splash screen, and I cannot get rid of it? This is after applying the first step of the last update, powering down. Taking the SD out, and powering up again.

Last time I updated and this happened it eventually went. I tried driving, soft resets, on off on off, etc. Unit is unusable right now.
    www.TheRapidWrench.Melbourne
    The convenient, professional and affordable mobile bicycle mechanic that comes to you!
    My RS build thread

Tap the screen where the crosshairs to go through the calibration process.

Randomly got a monsun error today (on latest firmware) while playing SD.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

The unit works great, as long as you aren't trying to multi task. Once you bring in the GPS and try to do SD playback the unit starts to act out. GPS will work fine, but SD playback comes to a crawl, takes literally 2 to 3 minutes to advance to the next track, even the menu selections can start to delay trying to select a different input option.

I wonder if these issues are more related to the old windows ce platform not being a true multi tasking operating system.

Its like having windows XP running on a brand new system. The operating system doesn't know what to do with the resources so you're limited with what the operating system can do vs what the hardware is capable of. Toss windows 7 on there and the system comes to life, as the operating system was designed to work with the hardware.

I bet this unit would fly on a android based platform vs a dated windows platform.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kwalsh24; 26-12-2013 at 01:09 AM.

Users Country Flag

I got the monsun.exe error yesterday twice. While driving from Adelaide to Melbourne. Didn't use anything except the SD for hours before it happened.

Sent from my galaxy spaceship
    Mine: -MK5 Golf 2.0TDI[Deiselgeek sigma 6 shifter + H&R 50mm lowering springs + GTI Tartan interior + Audi 18x8 A6 wheels(Dark Steel)]
    -MK1 Golf The re-spray/re-build
    In the family: -MK5 Jetta 2.0TDI, -9N3 Polo TDI, -6R Polo TDI, -Mitsubishi S^$&box van
    A pattern seems to be forming...

Page 1 of 106 1231151101 ... LastLast