Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Discover Media retrofit

After reading through much of this and related threads about retrofitting the RCD330 Plus, I'm left wondering what the advantage is of Discover Media over RCD330 Plus given RCD seems easier to plug and play install and then use an adaptor cable to resolve the reverse camera issue.

Thoughts?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by pnoake View Post
    After reading through much of this and related threads about retrofitting the RCD330 Plus, I'm left wondering what the advantage is of Discover Media over RCD330 Plus given RCD seems easier to plug and play install and then use an adaptor cable to resolve the reverse camera issue.

Thoughts?
    TL;DR it depends on the level of integration you’re after, and what you’ve got currently installed.

If you’re coming from an RCD500, and RCD510 with basic bluetooth or lower/equivalent mk6 units , the RCD330’s are a good upgrade, especially for the money and features.

If you have an RNS510 with the nicer BT modules, then you lose features/RCD330’s are a downgrade in some areas.

Empirically the Discover/Composition Media units have :

• A CD Drive
    • Built in GPS Navigation (Discover only)
    • MFD Integration
    • Native MFSW Support
    • DAB Radio Support (model dependant)
    • RDS Support & Station Icons
    • Dual Fakra Antenna Input
    • Media playback album art
    • PDC display support

over the RCD330 units.

Where as the RCD330 units :

• Lack a CD Drive
    • Only have Navigation through CarPlay/AndroidAuto
    • No MFD Integration
    • MFSW for MK6 only (MK5’s work with a Harness adaptor, but for Volume Only)
    • No DAB Radio
    • Single Fakra Antenna (Worse radio reception)
    • No RDS or Station Art
    • No media playback art
    • No PDC display support

Both unit's support :

• Carplay/AndroidAuto/MirrorLink (Depending on HW/FW versions for the RCD's, and if those features have been activated on DM/CM)
    • Playback of common music formats from SD/USB/AUX/iPod
    • A composite video input for RVC
    • Bluetooth for Phone Calls and Media Playback

Neither units (to my knowledge) support :

• DVD Playback
    • Native Video Playback
    • Media playback/media copy to Internal Storage (tho both accept large SD Cards)

Subjectively many people report the Discover/Composition Media as :
    • sounding better,
    • being a little more responsive, and
    • being less prone to hardware failure.

In saying that, I have an RCD340 187B in my MK6 TDI Golf wagon (CP&AA) as well as a RCD330 187A (no CP or AA) in my MK5 TFSI Jetta.
    They are great value units for getting basic Bluetooth/USB/SD music into 2005 onwards VW’s, especially with the CarPlay/AndroidAuto variants thrown into the mix.

Having 'been there and done that' with the RCD330's, I have a Discover Media DAB unit heading my way (huge shout out to kamold for the help with that one).

I’d recommend an aftermarket backup camera, as there are plug and play options out there that don’t require timer boxes or converters and camera’s have come a long way from the 10+ years that MK5/MK6’s VW’s shipped with.
    2004 MK4 R32 - Reflex Silver - KW V3 - AdvanSport V105 - Colour Matched RCN210
    2012 up! 3Door - Tornado Red - More details soon…

Still no solution for working DynAudio menu?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by awef_spb View Post
    Still no solution for working DynAudio menu?
    Afaik, the dynaudio menus in these units relied on data channel communication with a newer amplifier module, and those amplifier modules need some sort of advanced coding/parameterization to work in older cars B6/B7 in Passats or MK5/MK6 in Golfs.

I'm not 100% sure on that, but last I looked into that was about the answer I found.
    2004 MK4 R32 - Reflex Silver - KW V3 - AdvanSport V105 - Colour Matched RCN210
    2012 up! 3Door - Tornado Red - More details soon…

Quote Originally Posted by greyhamism View Post
    Afaik, the dynaudio menus in these units relied on data channel communication with a newer amplifier module, and those amplifier modules need some sort of advanced coding/parameterization to work in older cars B6/B7 in Passats or MK5/MK6 in Golfs.

I'm not 100% sure on that, but last I looked into that was about the answer I found.
    found only this info

DynAdio menu works with 3AA035466B Multivan software | parameterization

and do not work with 3AA035466 / A with CC parameterization

anyone try to install custom ZR software with MQB sceen menu?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Discover Media retrofit-dynka-jpg   Discover Media retrofit-ltucncr8ijqqfi0dp6rbsk2yjgq-1920-jpg  

Last edited by awef_spb; 14-02-2022 at 05:30 AM.

So I'm using my discover media for a while now in my mk6 golf. My original unit was a rcd510 dab+. I decided to sell my rcd since its lying in the attic so I needed to hook it up once more. The problem I'm experiencing is that it won't accept any coding. I want to change the coding to non-dynaudio so it's easy transferable to another car. That's one issue, the next is that the unit will boot up, connects to the phone, responds to the steering wheel but will not make any sound. Before placing the DM, this unit worked to the very last minute and was then sent to the attic. Am I overseeing something? I reconnected the media-in and bluetooth module to the rcd like it was before. I can't remember changing any code rather than the ones in 5F. But the rcd is not in 5F, instead it's in 56. What can I try? Removing the media player and Bluetooth from the gateway installation list and re-add them? Disconnect the battery for a certain period? Did the car "forget" the unit when it was replaced?
    Help appreciated.

thanks, Jos.
    Last edited by jmd; 20-03-2022 at 04:41 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Does anyone with the DM retrofit and Dynaudio have any issues with the original microphone and echos in calls?

I am having a problem where the other end of my phone calls can hear themselves back thought my mic, I think it might be caused by the Dynaudio DSP not turning off during calls creating a delay.

I have played with the mic gain in adaptation channels, nothing seems to affect it.

Thanks,
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Make sure voice enhancer is turned off.
    I have Dynaudio and don't have any echo issues.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Oh, I think it's an AndroidAuto issue, will test and confirm.
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon

Users Country Flag

It's not AndroidAuto, going to test with another phone before I try any more drastic fixes.

Was your mic the stock unit that used to be paired with the RNS and split to the Bluetooth module?

Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast