Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Discover Media retrofit

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Gateway is behind the climatronics panel.
    You can't upgrade this to 7N0 unless you also want to upgrade the CCM to 3AA version (includes immo) and rewiring the steering column.

It's not important to do this however as VCDS can still access via address 5F directly, and all devices still work.

Of course DAB needs an antenna. Buy one if it's important to you. Either a windscreen filament type, or you can get one that replaces the splitter in the D pillar from the rear glass antenna. Not much advantage to going to all this effort as the problems with DAB reception still exist (limited range, not retransmitted in tunnels etc.)

Clock sync needs newer cluster.

Brightness is being controlled by the cluster ambient light sensor. Again, new cluster. Or you can change the adaptation channels in 5F for dimming control to set it to max (x/y values)

Coding needs to be set correctly for number of speakers, amplifier etc. The Dynaudio splashscreen is just that. Has no bearing on whether it is correctly configured or not. Amp coding in byte 11 needs to be 05. This is not labelled in VCDS. Other bytes are labelled.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Thanks again Kamold for your wealth of knowledge and quick response! Little bit of a field report from my side:

Spent an hour in the car with vcds and aside from updating the boot screen to show ‘R’ I had no joy sorting out the dimming issue

If a new cluster will solve this and transmit the time then I’m keen to source one. Qtn is what unit would I need and does this lead to needing other parts replaced too? I’m not bothered about 3D/colour etc as my headunit doesn’t have Nav

Thanks again! As a side note also built my dynaudio amp harness this weekend and can’t wait to make progress there

My firmware version is MST2_EU_VW_PQ_P0367T
    Is there a later version? If so, what does it offer and where do I get it from?

Not having much luck on google.
    GTI | MY08 | Blue Graphite | DSG | Leather | Bi-Xenon | RNS510 |

Yes there is 478 however you need to modify the unit to allow firmware upgrade out of family.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Been doing a little bit of reading and apaprently there are specific USB port needed for Carplay to function with these MIB2 PQ units?

Not an issue in isolation, as I have found a seller who bundles said usb port with the unit, but I am at a bit of a loss as to where intall said plugs on a 2008 R36?

The Carplay USB ports are far longer than what looks like would fit to replace the the center console aux port, and we dont have the spot for it above the shifter like a MK7 Golf. Is there a super obvious spot for it in the glove box or somewhere else that Ive missed?
    2004 MK4 R32 - Reflex Silver - KW V3 - AdvanSport V105 - Colour Matched RCN210
    2012 up! 3Door - Tornado Red - More details soon…

Yes it needs to be a min revision E to support carplay.
    Best place in the R36 is replacing the centre console Aux port. The carplay port you leave under the console and then run a USB cable up to a USB port like this:
    USB Audio Cable Adapter CD Player Radio Wire Cable for VW Golf Passat POLO GTI Tiguan for Audi for Skoda|Cables, Adapters & Sockets| - AliExpress

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Yes it needs to be a min revision E to support carplay.
    Best place in the R36 is replacing the centre console Aux port. The carplay port you leave under the console and then run a USB cable up to a USB port like this:
    USB Audio Cable Adapter CD Player Radio Wire Cable for VW Golf Passat POLO GTI Tiguan for Audi for Skoda|Cables, Adapters & Sockets| - AliExpress
    oh that’s perfect, thank you very much

Users Country Flag
    Aside from where they indicate feature differences (i.e DAB vs Sirus vs NA vs EU), are there any major differences between the DM/CM part numbers/revisions i.e 5C0035680B vs 5C0035680F or 5K7035200D vs 5K7035200L ?

Afaik the numbers listed above are all non-dab variants of the DM/CM units, but otherwise i'm not sure what the difference is.

Is it a firmware update/compatibility limit sort of thing? Or maybe just changes in manufacturer?

I’ve been attempting to find an index/table that lists out each revision with features/differences to no avail

Yes it's newer software. With DM you can upgrade from 680B/C/D/E to the same software version as 680F/G with some hacking of the firmware etc. B/D/F are non-DAB. C/E/G are with DAB.
    680F/G have an APP button which is a shortcut to App Connect that otherwise requires you to press Menu and then select App connect. The newer software doesn't add functionality (apart from some very limited car menu functionality) it just has some different skins.

You don't want a 680A they don't have App Connect.
    CM it's DAB or non-DAB (and of course the NAR units with Sirius)

Users Country Flag

Thank you very much for that information, that's cleared up most of the questions I had (for now at least )

At the moment, the 5C0035680F/G models are looking like the best bet depending on whether DAB is going to be worth finding a G variant and wiring the antena.

I'd rather not fiddle around with firmware more than is required for install (CP/feature activation) if it can be avoided, having been there and done that with the Mirror link only RCD330 187 Unit in my old Jetta, and the AA/CP/ML RCD330 187B in my own TDI wagon…

Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast