Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Discover Media retrofit

Users Country Flag

Discover Media retrofit

This has been a few months in all to get this project to completion but it has been worth the effort

Discover Media retrofit-dsc07738-jpg

This is the double DIN factory unit from the 2016 Tiguan, Caddy, Beetle, T6 Transporter and Scirocco.
    Will fit into any PQ platform car eg Mk5/Mk6 Golf, B6/B7 Passat, CC, Scirocco, Caddy, Transporter etc. Anything that currently has an RCD510, RNS510, RCD300 etc.
    Whilst it is the same interface and features as the Mk7 Golf, B8 Passat etc it is packaged differently (the MQB cars have the screen as a seperate module to the head unit which is located in the glovebox).
    It has a 6.5inch screen, integrated Bluetooth, Navigation, supports 2TB SDcards for music. Apple Carplay, Android Auto and Mirrorlink.
    The navigation supports custom POIs with audible alerts.

The main sticking points were in getting the unit modified to remove the Component Protection lockdown timer (this is a hardware modification of the mainboard) and getting the Australian maps activated.
    Took a few months of back and forth with the supplier in Europe sending genuine Aussie map sdcards, getting advanced info from Aus delivered cars etc etc

Required supporting upgrades:
    There are a number of components that need to be upgraded to function with the newer Discover Media unit compared to the older RNS510 (if you have them).

Gateway
    Needs to be a 7N0 series, minimum revision of BC.
    In my case I used a 7N0907530AN (upgraded to BL software 1682 as long as hardware is 056)

Rear View Camera
    I had the highline camera 3C0907441 (bending guidelines).
    New MIB compatible highline controller is 7N0907441B.
    This camera module requires parametization in order to correctly display the image at the right angle. The only offline parametization available is for a CC which results in the camera looking down at too sharp an angle.
    What is required is parametization from a Tiguan which is only available with ODIS online. Then calibration data must be loaded to the module either via directly dumping the EEPROM contents or running the calibration procedure in ODIS.
    The existing camera itself in the tailgate does not require replacement.

New wiring harness:
    New 2015 VW Tiguan 5N0 - High Line Camera Cable Set - for module 7N0907441B
    or
    Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com

Alternatively you could use an RGBS to composite video converter, and you'd also need to swap the pins of the camera connector at the head unit end to match the MIB.

If you don't already have a camera, you can now just use any aftermarket composite camera. Make sure you use a digital delay timer to keep the camera powered for at least 10 seconds after disengaging reverse.

Park Distance Controller
    Original module 3C8919475 HW07 SW007.
    This works fine for PDC display on its own however it won't allow the reverse camera image with the PDC overlay on the left hand side.
    This needs to be replaced with a newer 5K0 919 475 E. This also requires an adapter wiring harness as the connectors changed.
    I initially had a problem with the new PDC in that it wasn't beeping as early as it should. It would correctly detect obstacles and show them on the screen but wouldn't engage the audible alerts early enough.
    This was fixed by loading the 1k8 Jetta parameters (variant 2) using VCP

Dynaudio Amplifier
    New amplifier 3AA035466 from a Passat CC
    Original (also retrofitted) amp was 3C0035456F
    This is a simple plug and play swap.
    *UPDATE*
    This is not needed (tested and confirmed), there is now coding which will allow the original amp to work (see below)

If you have a car with immobilizer in the cluster (ie Golf, Tiguan etc) and a 3D colour instrument cluster with software version ABOVE 0705, you will need to get a quadlock harness adapter than includes a CAN filter to prevent component protection message exchange between the MIB unit and the instrument cluster.

When I first installed the unit it was not correctly configured for an external amplifier. There is both coding and adaptation channels which need to be set:

Address 5F, long coding, byte 11 - change from 01 to 03 (or 05 for original Dynaudio amp)

Address 5F, adaptations:
    ENG122229-ENG117764-Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2-Amplifier_0x2D,not activated ==> change to activated
    ENG122229-ENG117765-Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2-Amplifier_0x2D_msg_bus,not activated ==> change to "Databus Infotainment"
    MAS00950-Audio Parameter,0

ENG117919-Startup_Screen_Sticker_HMI ==> 00 02 for Dynaudio

This correctly configured the unit for an external amplifier and allowed the balance/fader to work correctly.
    Last edited by kamold; 30-01-2020 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Additional details
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Was great seeing your system in action the other day. Definitely something I wanna do in the near future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Golf R 7.5 Tornado Red| DSG | Dynaudio | Driver Assist | Sunroof

Users Country Flag
    Wow, a lot of work has gone into this.
    Daily: 2010 Tiguan TDI | Candy White | Manual | 4MOTION | New York Wheels | Comfort Pack | Tinted Windows | Discover Media | MkVI MFSW | Mk7 Climatronic | RVC | Fog Lights | ECB Nudge Bar | Hella 160 Driving Lights | Rola RBXL135 Cross Bars | To Do: Colour MFD
    Toy: 2008 GTI Pirelli | Sunflower Yellow | 3 Door | DSG | Pirelli Wheels | RNS-510 | 9W7 Bluetooth | RVC | Rear Sensors | Fog Lights | To Do: Mk7 Climatronics, MkVI MFSW, Colour MFD

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
    Wow, a lot of work has gone into this.
    Yep probably 9 months all up I reckon to get a fully working, activated unit together. Can now have them made at will
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Yep probably 9 months all up I reckon to get a fully working, activated unit together. Can now have them made at will
    So, is this a service you will be offering?
    Daily: 2010 Tiguan TDI | Candy White | Manual | 4MOTION | New York Wheels | Comfort Pack | Tinted Windows | Discover Media | MkVI MFSW | Mk7 Climatronic | RVC | Fog Lights | ECB Nudge Bar | Hella 160 Driving Lights | Rola RBXL135 Cross Bars | To Do: Colour MFD
    Toy: 2008 GTI Pirelli | Sunflower Yellow | 3 Door | DSG | Pirelli Wheels | RNS-510 | 9W7 Bluetooth | RVC | Rear Sensors | Fog Lights | To Do: Mk7 Climatronics, MkVI MFSW, Colour MFD

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Yeah I have 2 extra units at the moment 1 DAB and 1 non DAB.

How much would it be to put one of these into a Passat B7?
    132TSI Tiguan Allspace

Users Country Flag
    Just a question if I may regarding playing music off the SD card, we receive our new VW this week and I'm curious before I start playing if you can random play the entire card, random play at folder level including all sub folders (artist and album), play just one folder (album) or randomise any combination of this?

I guess i might be part number 5C0035680C, approx $2100 for the unit only.
    Last edited by iampivot; 22-08-2017 at 07:32 PM. Reason: added part number, removed link
    132TSI Tiguan Allspace

Users Country Flag

Nice one Kamold Would you mind giving a breakdown of the part numbers etc if we wanted to do this ourselves? The hardware modification for the component protection sounds like it's the trickiest part.

How does it compare with the Composite Media (~$1k with component protection removed) and RCD330 Plus (~$200-300) units?
    MY10 Golf Mk6 103TDI DSG Candy White | Revo Stage 1 ECU Tune | 18" Talladegas | GTI Front/Rear/Exhaust | R LED Taillights | GTI Steering Wheel | VW Discover Media | Focal IFVW Front Speakers | Mk7 Climatronic Panel |

Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast