Support VWWC

Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Discover Media retrofit

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Composition media is a similar unit but without navigation. You can still use navigation on your phone via Carplay or Android Auto.
    Its kinda like RCD510 compared to RNS510.
    I have never seen an RCD330G so I can't offer much in the way of commentary. They seem to be a cheap and cheerful way to get access to Carplay/Android Auto if you get the correct unit.
    5C0035680B is non-DAB Discover Media.
    5C0035680C/E are DAB capable units.

The OEM units support external amps properly just by changing coding and adaptation whereas the RCD330 needs a line out converter as far as I am aware.
    Component protection and feature activation are the tricky parts.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Do you know the parts number for the composition media units? Are they also in both split and integrated version, and they also need to have component protection turned off?
    132TSI Tiguan Allspace

Yes Composition Media is available as a PQ platform (2DIN form factor like RNS510) or as an MQB 2 part system (screen separate from glovebox unit).
    They have component protection also.
    There are sellers on Ebay selling the RCD330G and calling them 'Composition Media' which is not correct.
    One part number is 5K7035200D but there are others.
    The obvious difference is the Composition Media and Discover Media are big blocks like the RNS/RCD whereas the RCD330G has a much smaller body than the screen:

RCD330G
    Discover Media retrofit-s-l500-jpg
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Does this support nav guidance on the cluster?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

Yes same as the rns510- with the internal nav.
    When you are using Google or Apple Maps it does not. Just shows the compass.
    So the rcd330g and Composition Media do not supply directions in the MFD, only Discover Media.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Well done mate, that looks great. Hard work paid off in the end.

When can I bring my car over? Discover Media retrofit

Any time mate, there's always a cold beer waiting if you're prepared to make the drive

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Any time mate, there's always a cold beer waiting if you're prepared to make the drive

Haha thanks mate, might take you up on that the next time I'm up there.

Users Country Flag
    Thanks for sharing!

Will consider this in a Mk5 in a few months.....purely for MFD integration.

Currently got a RCD330G-187B and loving it.....still needing reverse camera.
    Last edited by jopecasa; 09-09-2017 at 11:36 AM.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Yes Composition Media is available as a PQ platform (2DIN form factor like RNS510) or as an MQB 2 part system (screen separate from glovebox unit).
    They have component protection also.
    There are sellers on Ebay selling the RCD330G and calling them 'Composition Media' which is not correct.
    One part number is 5K7035200D but there are others.
    The obvious difference is the Composition Media and Discover Media are big blocks like the RNS/RCD whereas the RCD330G has a much smaller body than the screen:

RCD330G
    Discover Media retrofit-s-l500-jpg
    Thanks for that. So I'm actually going to look into this now, as I managed to brick my Audiosources headunit (yay?).

Looks like there are a few discover media units starting to pop up on ebay etc from overseas that claim to be unlocked. Would it be better/easier to just get one of those units, or try to get an original unit and do the hardware unlock ourselves? I'm no stranger to soldering etc. I assume the only other thing to consider would be getting aussie maps - is that something you could help with? Is there anything else to consider?
    MY10 Golf Mk6 103TDI DSG Candy White | Revo Stage 1 ECU Tune | 18" Talladegas | GTI Front/Rear/Exhaust | R LED Taillights | GTI Steering Wheel | VW Discover Media | Focal IFVW Front Speakers | Mk7 Climatronic Panel |

Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast