Thread: Dash cams

Users Country Flag

Dash cams

For sure it can’t be the 5 best dash cams for 2019, though I like the last one in this video.

Last edited by Transporter; 15-11-2019 at 08:27 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Yes the Waylens might be good but nearly all the rest are unknown Chinese stuff and as far as Garmin goes Yeah right
    The BV DR650 is at least 3 years old and has been superseded by at least two models. The 119 is also an Ok camera

As for the Waylens one Read here

Waylens Secure360 Review | DashCamTalk

https://www.amazon.com/Waylens-Secur...ews/B07DLLD95C

Waylens Secure360 WiFi Car Security Dash Camera Review | Digital Trends

Maybe a flawed design with good intentions

As for the Garmin

Garmin Dash Cam 55 | ProductReview.com.au

I wonder sometimes about these Youtube reviewers as some spruik rubbish and even one Commercial installer advocates stuffing wires down the side of fuses to power them

There is no perfect dashcam but basically the Streetguardian, Viofo, Blackvue and one Thinkware are noted as being probably the best camera brands
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 16-11-2019 at 09:41 AM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    We have two of the Viofo A119's, one is still working perfectly although the newer one seems to have issues with it's GPS unit. I'm not sure if I've had a couple of poor power supplies which have dies or if the GPS unit is killing the power supplies, but if I plug poewr directly into the unit it works flawlessly (albeit with no speed or location data (and no time sync).

For the cost of these units I'm considering just buying a new one and being done (maybe the dual camera version this time). It's really getting to the point where I don't know why everyone wouldn't want a dash cam installed.

I'd like to see car manufacturers do one of two things. Either:
    A) Include cameras as standard in the car which can be used for this purpose with the addition of a memory stick.
    or
    B) Include a power socket (USB?) near the head lining to make installation pretty idiot proof. (same story for phone mounts, I'd like to see a power socket in the A Pillar given the insanely common use case).

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    We have two of the Viofo A119's, one is still working perfectly although the newer one seems to have issues with it's GPS unit. I'm not sure if I've had a couple of poor power supplies which have dies or if the GPS unit is killing the power supplies, but if I plug poewr directly into the unit it works flawlessly (albeit with no speed or location data (and no time sync).

For the cost of these units I'm considering just buying a new one and being done (maybe the dual camera version this time). It's really getting to the point where I don't know why everyone wouldn't want a dash cam installed.

I'd like to see car manufacturers do one of two things. Either:
    A) Include cameras as standard in the car which can be used for this purpose with the addition of a memory stick.
    or
    B) Include a power socket (USB?) near the head lining to make installation pretty idiot proof. (same story for phone mounts, I'd like to see a power socket in the A Pillar given the insanely common use case).
    One small problem is that not all dashcams run on USB and /or 5v would need to have both that and 12v

They will come standard eventually no doubt and would be best if wired so that they can record to a HDD somewhere in the car as it then would have a much longer recording capacity Also have battery pack to allow a longer parking mode
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan