Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dash Cams

Users Country Flag

Dash Cams

Following on from my sale thread here I figured this could do with a new thread.

First up, many thanks to ope126 who suggested I just had the wrong camera, I've returned that one now and ordered a different one.
    Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
    {SNIP}
    A huge recommendation for estore009 on ebay. I've bought a few things from them over the years and they have been awesome to deal with including the return I just did. Very very awesome service.
    estore009 items - Get great deals on Dashboard Car Camera DVR, Portable Scanner items on eBay Stores!

Quote Originally Posted by RedMk2Gti View Post
    How do you rate the quality of these Chinese stuff ? Aaron
    I recently bought one of these, inspired by facebook
    https://www.cardashcampro.com/produc...-black-or-blue.
    It's working, but quality is poor. I'd wonder how long it'll last
    It depends on the model and the supplier, there seems to be HUUUUUUGE ranges in quality for these things. I did a pile of research years ago before I got the camera for the Van (also from estore009) and ended up with the G1W. It was dirt cheap and actually works very very well (and has done for years). Research is the key here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    If you want a good reliable camera with all the bits here is what you want BlackVue | World's Leading Dash Camera Manufacturer Not cheap but does what it says.
    The BlackVue are very well regarded as one of the best, not without their issues of course, but at a price.

I've always been guided by these guys who have lots and lots of great information:
    https://dashcamtalk.com/

To ensure it fits this time I've gone away from the VW specific ones to a more generic unit. I was all ready to pull the trigger on an A118 before I realised the replacement A119 was available in a neater package. So I have this making it's way to me now. It's reliability is a little unknown but the A118 was decent (any issues appear to be resolved through firmware upgrades) and the newer model is in a neater package

The only thing this *doesn't* have is a WiFi connection that other models might have, but not something you need.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/282132719...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Dual camera isn't an option for me (in a convertible and all ), and I made sure to leave a pull cord behind when I was attempting the last install so all the hard work is done. I should be able to install this one in minutes all things going well.

So what do other people use and recommend?

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    I run Blackvue in our Polo and Touareg (daily drives). Picture/audio quality is first class. Coupled with the PowerMagic Pro, event recording while parked is a great asset. Until a service technician just pulls the power lead out of the unit.

But...all good. Very happy with the image quality, unit build quality (survives Perth summer days).
    MY16 Touareg 4.2Lt V8 TDI/Pure White LED lightbox/REDARC Brake Controller/ Racechip/iDrive Throttle controller
    2008 GOLF .:R32/5DR DBPE DSG/SUNROOF/RNS510/PRIVACY TINT/CONTI SC3s/MILLTEK CATBACK NON-RES/9W2 BT/"MYR-032"

Users Country Flag
    We had 2 Blackvue in our cars and both aren't working anymore, they didn't last even 2 years.

I had a good run with Navman Mivue 358 dash cams bought 2 of them 4 years ago and both still work. The Mivue 680 that I got 3 weeks ago has also safety camera alerts, headlights warning and the driver fatigue alert.
    In Car Camera, Dash Cam Units: MiVue | Navman Australia

Users Country Flag
    Transporter you might have to reinstall the Firm ware. One of mine the other day. Kept telling me Check the SD card you need a clean install blackvue has all the down loads for all models. Easy to do
    Last edited by ian; 25-08-2016 at 09:34 PM.

Users Country Flag

Users Country Flag
    and....format the micro sdcard monthly.
    MY16 Touareg 4.2Lt V8 TDI/Pure White LED lightbox/REDARC Brake Controller/ Racechip/iDrive Throttle controller
    2008 GOLF .:R32/5DR DBPE DSG/SUNROOF/RNS510/PRIVACY TINT/CONTI SC3s/MILLTEK CATBACK NON-RES/9W2 BT/"MYR-032"

Users Country Flag
    What the hell is that link ?
    Virus scanner went nuts !
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag
    If you want Blackvue Downloads they are ALL here https://www.blackvue.com/downloads/

This is the parent company site in Korea. The above one is a reseller.

My 3 are still going fine after 3 years. A frequent problem with them can be a bad installation for power and it seems they get a bit upset.
    Mine were cutting in and out a couple of weeks ago so I had a tidy up of the wiring behind the dash and redid a couple of connectors and they have been Ok since

Only 2 minor problems In the 400 the LiPo battery died so i pulled it to bits and fitted another one $3 on Ebay.
    Same thing with the 500 the tiny battery for the memory died. Bit tricky to desolder and re solder a new one in but its ok now for $2.85

All 3 are running much higher capacity cards than they should but work fine 128Gb in the 500 64Gb in the other 2.

Next best would be a mini 0805/6

For reviews look here A good non biased review https://dashcamtalk.com/best-dash-cams-of-2016/

And here BlackVue DR650GW Reviews - ProductReview.com.au

As far as the Navman ones look here Navman MiVue Reviews - ProductReview.com.au
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 26-08-2016 at 09:37 AM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by FJ Steve View Post
    and....format the micro sdcard monthly.
    Why format the memory card??

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag

When you a problem with the Blackvue its usually a firmware issue . its the easist way to get youe unit back working Format the card reinstall the Firmware Get rid of anf glinches in the recording

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast