Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: BlueTooth related questions (all BT questions go in this thread only)

Users Country Flag

BlueTooth related questions (all BT questions go in this thread only)

I own a 2010 Jetta 147TSI. When I purchased the car new I had the dealer fit bluetooth to the vehicle. It appears to be a very basic model as all I can do is answer and reject calls via the multi-function steering wheel. I don't have voice activation or music streaming available.

The bluetooth identifies itself as VW UHV. According to the VW Bluetooth manual that came with it the model should have A2DP streaming however I have tried many times to get it to work with no success. I have a MDI connection to the RCD510 anyway so it has never been a huge issue.

The dealer invoice lists it as simply "Volkswagen Bluetooth" and it cost $727.10. Looking at the bluetooth options on this site, I believe that it is most likely the 9W2 bluetooth which is installed.

I want to upgrade to the 9W7.

I have two questions however.

1/ Does it sound like it is the 9W2 bluetooth module installed?

2/ Where is it located? I have looked under the passenger and drivers seats for the box but it is not located there.

Any insights you have are appreciated!

Most likely it will be inside your dash between the aircon and RCD510 head unit. It's the easiest place to put it and is where most dealer fitted "basic" units get put. My 2011 Tiguan had a dealer fitted bluetooth unit and it was located there. I've since replaced it with a 9w7 - mainly for all the phone functions available via RCD510 and white MFD.

I had a Novero HT-3 which as it turns out is not BAP compatible (for white MFD) and only supports the older DDP protocol (works with red MFD). If unsure try checking Telephone Retrofitting - Ross-Tech Wiki

Anyway it may be that the bluetooth unit you have does support A2DP streaming, however the comms protocol (DDP/BAP) is not supported in your car..... so it's either going to be a coding issue OR your bluetooth hardware isn't compatible with your head unit.

Probably the easiest solution is to open up your dash and find the bluetooth unit you've installed and then work out if it is compatible with your MFD or not (refer to Ross Tech or the manufacturer for specs/details).

If you have a white MFD (which is what comes with most later model VW's) then if your bluetooth unit is a DDP unit you won't get any of the higher end features (only phone button on steering wheel to answer/hang up calls). This is what happened in my case and I suspect may be the same with yours.

Suggest you go onto youtube for a video on how to pull apart your dash and then give it a go. Just be careful not to scratch anything up and you should be fine. Once you've done it a few times you'll be a pro.
    Last edited by tigger73; 30-09-2012 at 04:57 PM.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the info. Give me 5 minutes with a screwdriver and I'll put a professional saboteur to shame. I better check out some youtube videos!

9W2 had music streaming but no phone book function on the sat nav/MFD.
    9W3 had phone book but no music streaming
    9W7 has both features, while the latest 2012 versions (indicated by last letter in model number) add a few smaller music streaming settings such as displaying song info in the car, and allowing you to skip tracks via the HU, steering wheel.

VW dealer often sell another model that sticks on the dash and is rubbish in comparison.

Users Country Flag
    Sounds like a 9w2 unit. A 9w7 identifies it self with "VW Phone" I have a 9w2 unit and it has the same ID as yours "VW UHF"
    The easiest way to check which BT unit you have is find someone who has a VCDS cable and do an Autoscan this will tell you what unit you have without taking your dash a part. I reckon it will be a real bird's nest behind there with both a MDI and a BT unit installed there! A Jetta in not as easy as a Tiguan to access

I am of the opinion that you will have to replace the whole kit as the loom from the BT module to the radio will probably be different (Tigger73 confirm?) also not sure if the 9w7 unit has an option for an external GSM aerial connection or will work without one? again Tigger to confirm

Your A2DP not working may be due coding of either the RCD 510, the BT (Byte 0 Bit 0 has to be activated on my 9w2 unit) unit or the MDI unit over riding the function. Very difficult to isolate the problem without knowing what type of BT unit it is!
    Last edited by Bambazonke; 02-10-2012 at 10:28 AM.

Users Country Flag

BlueTooth related questions (all BT questions go in this thread only)

Please post all BT related Q & A into this thread. We don't have to have 100's of BT related threads. It will be easier to find the answer you're looking for.

You can also use stickies as there may be the links to some informative threads from the past.

Thank you for complying.

Personally I've found it harder to find information in 50+ page threads compared to finding smaller specific threads but hopefully everyone who's made a main thread can keep the first post updated with concise info to make it easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambazonke View Post
    Sounds like a 9w2 unit. A 9w7 identifies it self with "VW Phone" I have a 9w2 unit and it has the same ID as yours "VW UHF"
    The easiest way to check which BT unit you have is find someone who has a VCDS cable and do an Autoscan this will tell you what unit you have without taking your dash a part. I reckon it will be a real bird's nest behind there with both a MDI and a BT unit installed there!

I am of the opinion that you will have to replace the whole kit as the loom from the BT module to the radio will probably be different (Tigger73 confirm?) also not sure if the 9w7 unit has an option for an external GSM aerial connection or will work without one? again Tigger to confirm

Your A2DP not working may be due coding of either the RCD 510, the BT unit or the MDI unit over riding the function. Very difficult to isolate the problem without knowing what type of BT unit it is!
    Yes VCDS will tell you what unit you've got - but if you don't have a VCDS cable pulling the dash apart and having a look will tell you also. It's a couple of pieces of trim and about 6 torx screws (in Tig at least anyway).

The wiring looms will most likely be different. It depends where you buy your bluetooth unit from - some come with full plug and play wiring harnesses and others you'll have to splice in to existing wiring. If it was anything like my dealer fitted bluetooth unit I pulled out, the dealer had spliced into the power and CANbus to connect the bluetooth unit in. It meant I had to "unsplice" these before I could put the plug and play connector in.

Also with the basic bluetooth unit I removed, the loom came prewired with the microphone cable attached. Which meant that I had to re-run the microphone cable (I was hoping to avoid doing this). It worked out OK in the end as I used the cable that was already installed to pull through the new cable which saved me a lot of stuffing around pulling off the roof lining.

When pairing with my phone, the 9w7 comes up as "VW Phone" and old bluetooth as "VW UHF".

I'm not sure if my 9w7 has an external GSM antenna input (don't think it does). I just use the antenna on my phone so haven't played around with this. I'm guessing the phone would have to be physically connected to the car for this to work - like in a cradle (not just via bluetooth). Then the cradle would have the connection to an external antenna. Your phone is the GSM receiver (with SIM card) so this needs to have a physical antenna connected to it. I don't think you can run this sort of thing over bluetooth.

To keep things simple though I'd just look at getting your bluetooth functionality going first. I went for an "older" F model 9w7 Bluetooth VW RNS 510 9W7 UHV AD2P / 7P6 035 730 F!!! 2012!!! | eBay instead of the latest "K" model or "9wZ".

I figured it was safer going with a model bluetooth unit that was close to age of the rest of my electronics (MFD/RCD510). It may have missed out on a couple of functions but was more likely not to have any incompatibility issues.

If you've got the white MFD+ then there's no compatibility issues, just grab the latest version from carsystems.eu - many of us have used them and they arrive in Melbourne within 4 business days. You'll want to open up your dash anyway to check what sort of loom you have so you know which bits to order

I wouldn't go guaranteeing the 4 day delivery. Mine took close to 2 weeks. They did ship it out straight away but took 10-12 days for freight/customs from Spain.

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast