Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bluetooth Query

Bluetooth Query

Hey all,

I have a quick query about bluetooth, headunit and car generation compatibility, sorry about that. I know this gets talked about to no end, I'm just chasing my tail trying to track down some definitive information.

I've just bought my first VW, a my08 Jetta with a full height red MFD. I also have a 5K0 035 190 A (Bosch) RCD510 headunit to replace the installed RCD300.

Basically I'd like to install the bluetooth module with the most modern functionality I can utilize... so am I right in saying:
    • 9w2 Calls and music streaming, should work with full functionality.
    • 9w3 Is this available in Australia?
    • 9w7 Same as 9w2 but displays phonebook and allows calls to be made from the headunit. (Unsure if this works on red MFD units or requires more modern cars with white MFD). I'd quite like this function if I can.
    • 9wz Most modern unit, unsure if it's compatible.

Also are the battery drain problems definitively fixed with the my08 full height red MFD?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Walter

Users Country Flag
    In my option, you want 9w7 and can get MFD functionality if you add a PolarBT as well.
    Daily: 2010 Tiguan TDI | Candy White | Manual | 4MOTION | New York Wheels | Comfort Pack | Tinted Windows | Discover Media | MkVI MFSW | Mk7 Climatronic | RVC | Fog Lights | ECB Nudge Bar | Hella 160 Driving Lights | Rola RBXL135 Cross Bars | To Do: Colour MFD
    Toy: 2008 GTI Pirelli | Sunflower Yellow | 3 Door | DSG | Pirelli Wheels | RNS-510 | 9W7 Bluetooth | RVC | Rear Sensors | Fog Lights | To Do: Mk7 Climatronics, MkVI MFSW, Colour MFD

Thanks for that, I haven't seen those before.

Having read my post again I should clear up. I'm more interested in getting caller Id, phonebook etc up on the headunit rather than the MFD. Is that independent of the model of car since its plugged straight into the back of the RCD510? Also are you suggesting that I could grab a 9w7 without getting the polarBT and it would work fine, I just wouldn't have the MFD interface?

Users Country Flag
    I believe that it will work but it depends on what revision of RCD-510 you have. Read through this thread and you should find the answer.

VWVortex.com - Adding OEM Bluetooth 9w2,9w3,9w7??
    Daily: 2010 Tiguan TDI | Candy White | Manual | 4MOTION | New York Wheels | Comfort Pack | Tinted Windows | Discover Media | MkVI MFSW | Mk7 Climatronic | RVC | Fog Lights | ECB Nudge Bar | Hella 160 Driving Lights | Rola RBXL135 Cross Bars | To Do: Colour MFD
    Toy: 2008 GTI Pirelli | Sunflower Yellow | 3 Door | DSG | Pirelli Wheels | RNS-510 | 9W7 Bluetooth | RVC | Rear Sensors | Fog Lights | To Do: Mk7 Climatronics, MkVI MFSW, Colour MFD

Cheers, getting clearer.

That link suggests that a version "B" of the 9W3 [1Z0 035 729 B] module has full MFD compatibility but won't display the phonebook on the touch screen due to limitations placed by the American RCD Delphi units (RNS works). That sounds promising, the Bosch unit I have apparently will display display the phonebook on the touchscreen and hopefully the 9w3 will display on the MFD.

It's either that or the 9w7 unit and not worry about the MFD at all, not that big a loss really.

Any thoughts? Or has anyone had any experience with either of these options?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by water_Jetta View Post
    I'm afraid this is extending beyond my experience as I have an RNS-510 and 9w7.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by water_Jetta View Post
    Cheers, getting clearer.

That link suggests that a version "B" of the 9W3 [1Z0 035 729 B] module has full MFD compatibility but won't display the phonebook on the touch screen due to limitations placed by the American RCD Delphi units (RNS works). That sounds promising, the Bosch unit I have apparently will display display the phonebook on the touchscreen and hopefully the 9w3 will display on the MFD.

It's either that or the 9w7 unit and not worry about the MFD at all, not that big a loss really.

Delphi are not American. I thought they were Chinese or European USA radios have different station spread to Euro and Aus units and generally dont work very well here.

Same with Japanese units

BOSCH RCD-510 Vs Delphi RCD-510

Delphi versus Bosch
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Thanks for the help arcadelt, appreciated.

I believe you are right Hillbilly. To my understanding delphi units are utilized in the american and asian market (the RCD510 models with two letters on the end) but built outside of the USA. The Bosch units, 5K0 035 190, 5K0 035 190 A and 5K0 035 190 B are built is Portugal and used in Europe and Australia.

I meant that the limitations the person posting was talking about was due to it being a Delphi unit rather than a Bosch... Or so I hoped.

Users Country Flag
    Also are the battery drain problems definitively fixed with the my08 full height red MFD?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Walter[/QUOTE]

With the battery drain, all VW's have been fitted with a CanBus as standard from 2008 onwards which should prevent battery drain. When you turn off the car and pull the key, after few mins you should hear a sort of click coming from the dashboard centre, that would be the canbus turning power off.

Regards

Dino

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    MY15 TIGUAN 130TDI R-LINE - Pepper Grey, Panoramic Sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by dinot81 View Post

With the battery drain, all VW's have been fitted with a CanBus as standard from 2008 onwards which should prevent battery drain. When you turn off the car and pull the key, after few mins you should hear a sort of click coming from the dashboard centre, that would be the canbus turning power off.

Regards

Dino

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Good to know. I'll check it out on when I get to work tomorrow, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast