Thread: ANS-420 into Polo 9N3

ANS-420 into Polo 9N3

I bought an ANS-420 in the recent group buy for fitting to a Polo 9N.

Fortunately spraycanmansam had posted in his build thread offering some excellent guidance.

In summary:

• Does the unit fit - Yes.
    • Is it easy - No.
    • Is it worth the effort - Yes.

Tools required could be limited to removal keys for the head unit and torx head for screws, tape/cable ties. I also made good use of a dremel.

A quick measurement of the oem unit, the ANS-420 and the dash opening indicates that whilst the ANS-420 is fractionally deeper it should fit without issue. The reality is somewhat different.

First I ground off the protruding side lugs on the rear heat sink as suggested by spraycanmansam. I used my dremel.

Having removed the oem unit I then tidied up the wiring that goes to the switchgear between the unit and the air vents so as to ensure no interference.

A trial fit of the ANS-420 showed that it would not go all the way in - sat out by approx 5mm from flush.

I removed the wiring from the overhead switch gear and tried fitting again but no joy.

Following spraycanmansam's lead I cut out the rear plastic support for the oem unit.

Still could not get a flush install.

I used the dremel to grind a little plastic of a plastic tab at each side at the rear and managed to get a flush fit.

I suspect the fit will vary slightly from Polo to Polo. The ANS-420 was obviously designed for a more open cavity (Sandy confirmed the ANS-420 was not originally built for the Polo) but can be made to fit with a little time and patience.

I wanted to have the USB and ipod cables routed through to the glove box. I removed the glove box (open glove box and remove 3 top screws, go to lower trim and remove 3 screws, pull trim back and remove 3 screws underneath which attach the glove box). I had originally intended to use the front insert blank in the top right corner of the glove box however on removing it I found a perforated cutout a little further back. I removed a small section of the cutout and fed the cables through. The ipod cable is free whilst the USB cable has been double side taped to the glove box.

I also wanted a 3.5mm audio in so I used the left/right RCA audio inputs and connected them to a small 3.2mm female to RCA adapter which I double side taped under the HVAC controls.

I mounted the GPS on top of the dash forward of the top centre tray. Pop out tray, remove 2 screw so trim surround can be listed and feed cable through. I placed a short section of small diameter hose over the cable where it exits under the trim so it did not cut by the hard plastic edges.

Connecting the cables is straightforward although I found the USB connector join pulled apart easily. Cables ties and an excess of electrical tape ensured the connector was maintained whilst pulling cables into place.

The ANS-420 started up in English and was simple to set up.

The ipod and 3.5mm audio are good. ipod does not always display information so a few glitches still to be sorted.

The USB and SD card need work.

All in all a great little unit which has a factory look.

Self installation of an ANS-420 into a Polo is not for the faint hearted. If you do not have an aptitude for this sort of thing I think you may find yourself having installation issues with getting the ANS-420 to sit flush. Aside from the getting the ANS-402 to sit flush installation was straight forward.

Removal tool

Ground off lug

OEM unit with removal keys inserted

OEM unit removed but still connected to wiring

OEM cables - just the wiring connector and aerial

Rear of the dash cavity

ANS-420 wired in and test run

Glove box removed - see where cables run into the side.

GPS

Trial install (one of a few - the ANS-420 is sitting about 5mm out from flush

Cabling - USB is the heavier black cable which I have taped heavily so it would not separate

Installed ANS-420

Users Country Flag
    Nice write up mate, sorry the fitment wasn't so easy. Hope you enjoy the unit

Fantastic write up mate, glad I could help point you in the right direction
    I know it sounds bad but I'm glad it's not just me that had to go all MacGyver haha!
    Looks like you tackled yours with a little more finesse
    Polo GTI MY2008
    Build Thread
    136.09kW and 305.28Nm torques, Dynapack Hub Dyno

Worst part was when the ANS-420 fitted in flush and I realised that the overhead switchgear was all unplugged and I had to wrestle it out and start again

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by GRP View Post
    Worst part was when the ANS-420 fitted in flush and I realised that the overhead switchgear was all unplugged and I had to wrestle it out and start again
    Yep, it's easy to get a touch carried away, particularly when you get it in. Then you realise you have something not connected