Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alpine x308au installation help

Alpine x308au installation help

Installing an alpine x308au with the apf-x300vw kit (camera kit is on order) into my b7 highline.
    This has been a much bigger job than I thought, and there are some steps I still need to go through before I'm completely happy. Right now though I have a few deal breakers that I need to get sorted, so any advice welcome.
    1. With the alpine kit hooked up, I'm getting no signal from the can interface. I've unplugged and reconnected everything, and its not cooperating. Consequently, I've lost the climate control and parking sensors. The unit says it is registering a speed signal, which comes from the can interface, but the unit doesn't have the option for the can interface
    2. I've picked up an 'accessory switched' 12v source from the fuse panel, but the key needs to be all the way in (ignition on, if you will) for the unit to start, and the unit drops out when I start the car.
    Is there an easy source for detecting an actual accessory position 12v on the b7? Hoping this will solve both problems (either that, or a delay timer on the 12v) as the x308 currently takes a while to start up every time

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk
    2013 MY13.5 Passat V6 Highline Wagon. Watch this space
    GONE:2017 MY18 Skoda RS169 Wagon w/ Tech & Lux, 2007 VW MKV Golf GTi

Users Country Flag
    Sounds like you might have both power feeds to the unit connected to terminal 15 (ACC) instead of one to terminal 30 (Batt - Yellow) and one to terminal 15 (ACC - Red)

Check out this wiring guide https://www.alpine.co.uk/fileadmin/u...-X300VW_EN.pdf (Page 95)

In terms of fuses on the B7, there are two spare fuse positions, one on each terminal if you want to add a circuit refer to my image here, T15 and T30 are labelled.
    Alpine x308au installation help-20220612_192415-jpg
    Last edited by MIG; 12-06-2022 at 08:33 PM.
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

Thanks @MIG
    Looking at what you've got on that fuse, do they come on when the ignition is on, or when the key is inserted?
    I'll check the fuses, 99% sure I don't have 2 accessory fuses though
    For those not familiar, the b7 passat key is inserted into a receiver in the dash. When you inserted to the first 'notch', the radio comes on (akin to accessory on). Second notch ignition, then push all the way in to start. I want the stereo to come on at the first notch. But I'd settle for one that stays on till the key is removed...

Users Country Flag
    Items come on with the 2nd click of the key so ignition on for terminal 15.

Interesting the VW radio comes on with the first click, I bet there is some CAN messages waking it up.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

Users Country Flag
    OEM radios are started by a message from the gateway triggered by the BCM/CECM from driver's door being opened.
    That way they are already at least partially booted up by the time the car is started. Particularly important for the RNS510 which is very slow to completely start up.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Yep, I know they are triggered from the can module, I'm trying to find a usable 'acc' wire as I spend a couple of hours every week working in the car while the kids are at sport.
    Found a couple of leads, one suggests that there is a 'keysense' wire, but that may be for keyless entry only, and another that suggests that some fuses stay on till the door is opened.
    Will update.
    In the meantime, this is what the alpine camera and canbus interface looks like. It looks like its not installed, because nothing is working... getting checked out by the shop tomorrow.
    Plan to cut and shut to a single quadlock connector and the alpine plug only, and 3d print a set of cradles for the 3 modules and antenna connector but while its not working I'm going to leave it as is

Update:
    Turns out I have a faulty canbus interface. The interface, when working correctly, negates the need for the external 12v acc connection, and also does away with 1 of the quadlock harnesses and 2 of the boxes.
    Big ups to George and the guys at Race Car Audio for diagnosis (especially since I got the canbus adapter and head unit off fb). Alpine have none of the adapters left in stock, so I'm gonna disect it tonight and see if it is an easy fix, and try some local stores to see if they have stock

Users Country Flag
    Fewer adapters = fewer problems. Paring it back to the absolute minimum that's required for full functionality will be helpful.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Update and close out

I've got everything working as it should. It was indeed a faulty canbus interface module (the apf-x300vw). I did a point to point on the leads, all good. Managed to get hold of another module today, and plugged it in, worked first time. No need to pickup an acc wire or anything.
    Got rid of the second harness, so there's now only a single quadlock harness, plus the rvc interface
    Pdc, seats, aircon, rvc, all good.
    Sorry I didn't get any decent photos, happy to answer any questions though

There's been a few question about microphones. I've used the factory mic, using a jumper lead to 3.5mm mono plug, from the pilots on the quadlock connector. I'll call that a win...

Still need a bit of time with the dremel as the 8" screen sits a bit proud.

Users Country Flag

let me know if you get random reboots with yours. Mine sometimes also when i start the car, goes into a phsyco loop where it scans radio stations, and wont boot properly. need to turn off and restart. Im not a big fan of the X308AU now ive owned it a while, its just got too many issues i dislike. DAB functionality / reception is also a problem, i no longer use it. The amount of wiring was a problem, especially fitting it all into the space behind the unit. Mine sits flush BTW. not sure what the issue with yours?

Alpine x308au installation help-20220129_132553-jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast