Support VWWC

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Additional TMC provider for MIB2 Discover Pro Units (HereTraffic)

Users Country Flag

Additional TMC provider for MIB2 Discover Pro Units (HereTraffic)

I've been playing around with Traffic Messaging Channels for a bit here in Australia and New Zealand.
    For those in Aus and NZ, if you enter 1024 in the Adaption channel for Fee-Based Traffic Info (via VCDS/OBD11/ODIS), you should get traffic info from SUNA (Intelematics) but it's pretty horrible, especially in NZ where you rarely get any messages and they are often really wrong.

However in Australia and NZ there is also hereTraffic, which seems to be far more up to date and effective, however MIB2 Discover Pro units don't have support out of the box for it.

After a bit of decoding how the configs work, and sitting in a hot car changing index codes in custom made payTMC files, I managed to figure out the encryption key index (secret: there is only 8 possible encryption index keys)

To install you need a MIB2 Discover Pro unit MHI2, and you need More-Incredible Bash, GitHub - Mr-MIBonk/M.I.B._More-Incredible-Bash: M.I.B. - More Incredible Bash - The Army knife for Harman MIB 2.x aka MHI2(Q) units to root your MIB2 unit (make sure your unit and firmware is compatible, if firmware is old you can download and update it pretty easily).

I won't explain how to root your unit here, it is best check out the More-Incredible bash GitHub page and read the wiki or ask questions in their discord etc, they do a much better job of explaining then I could , they are really helpful and there is lots of people out there who have done the Rooting of the MIB's before, but it is not full proof, and hitting the wrong menu options or turning your car off at the wrong time can brick your Radio.

Note: while the script to install the payTMC will run ok on other VAG cars, this is currently only tested and working with VW, due to the lines in the script that update the version-cfg.txt for VW, I'll need to update it to work with Audi/Skoda etc.

Once you've got M-I-B on an SD card, copy the two folders in the
    GitHub - catatonicChimp/mib2-tmc-ANZ: Traffic Message Channel settings for Australia & NZ with VW MIB2 Pro head units to the SD card, one folder has the two json files which define the settings for the TMC providers, and the mod folder includes a simple bash script to override the version-cfg.txt file so it points to the local payTMC config files (rather then the config that comes with the map updates) and then copies over the payTMC json files into the correct location on the MIB2 unit.

to launch it, run the custom script from the MIB -> Advance Settings -> Custom Script (I am doing this via memory at the moment will check the car and confirm soon)

Additional TMC provider for MIB2 Discover Pro Units (HereTraffic)-img_3872-jpgAdditional TMC provider for MIB2 Discover Pro Units (HereTraffic)-img_3873-jpgAdditional TMC provider for MIB2 Discover Pro Units (HereTraffic)-img_3874-jpgAdditional TMC provider for MIB2 Discover Pro Units (HereTraffic)-img_3875-jpg

(not sure why these are uploading 90deg off)
    Last edited by ataylor; 12-12-2022 at 09:50 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Awesome work, and here I was thinking they removed the TMC database for aus/NZ.

I will have to check and see if the mib STD2 has the same files

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    The MSTD2 Delphi units have a different setup unfortunately, but the specific value setting we need to recreate in the provider xml should be easy enough as it should match similar values to the Harmon units. The hard part is how to get the file on the unit and get read by the system, I believe it is read straight from the map sd card and not stored locally so would need a way to bypass the checksums.

Hopefully I will have some time after Xmas to keep researching, I am still waiting on my test bench setup to arrive with the rest of my household effects.

Users Country Flag
    In the MIB2STD maps the TMC data for Australia is in
    \maps\22\cfg\mapcfg\VW\traffic\tmc\TmcProviderSets \
    and
    \maps\22\cfg\mapcfg\VW\traffic\tmc\TmcProviders\

They are XML files. It might be possible to just modify by adding the missing data. Will try and have a look in the next few days.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Usually there is a checksum on the metadata info files, at least that is the case for other SD card related update for the MIB2 units, so the question will be if the unit checks the checksums vs the data on the SD when loading the maps.

I do have some current mib2std map files, but they don't have any entries for the 1024 setting, does anyone know where I can find old map versions that might still have the australian TMC entries (then can check them against my work with the MHI2 units?)

Users Country Flag
    Here is the oldest mirror I can still find online.

https://vw-maps-cdn.lighthouselabs.e...M3_1420_V12.7z
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

I've just thrown together the 2 xml file that should be required for the MIB2STD units, its now up on my git repo, and you should be able to just copy them over to your map SD card and go... looks like there isn't any checksum on the map SD card.

Thanks for the find @MIG, I'll download it and compare to what I've done

Quote Originally Posted by MIG View Post
    Here is the oldest mirror I can still find online.

https://vw-maps-cdn.lighthouselabs.e...M3_1420_V12.7z
    unfortunately no luck there, the TMC files have no reference to Australia.

Users Country Flag
    Current maps can be downloaded from
    Volkswagen Map Updates

Have uploaded the TMC folder here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FLH...usp=share_link

Would need to try adding the missing data for SUNA etc.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

if you check my git repo in the first post, I've already cobbled together the setup for SUNA and HERETRAFFIC in there, if you want to copy them on to your MAP SD card and give them a try?

edit pasting here for clarity:
    GitHub - catatonicChimp/mib2-tmc-ANZ: Traffic Message Channel settings for Australia & NZ with VW MIB2 Pro head units

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast