Support VWWC

Thread: wavetrac'd 02R gearbox recommended oil

Users Country Flag

wavetrac'd 02R gearbox recommended oil

Hi,

The wavetrac site says that I should run either a motul 300 75W90 or a motul competition 75W140!
    The gearbox builder thought that the heavier viscosity oiul would be way too thick for the synchros so I was down to the Motul 300. However the VW spec oil for the box is I believe a monograde SAE 75W the part # G 070 726 A2 corresponds to Ravenol MTF-3.

So the question is do I go for the 75W90 and favour the diff and hope the synchros aren't unhappy with 90 viscosity hot, or do I go for the VW spec gearbox oil at mono 75W which would favour the synchro's but might compromise the diff?

sam

Users Country Flag
    VW recommends 75W-90 full-synthetic for most of their transaxles anyway. I'd be inclined to go with that.

75W-140 is more for RWD diffs, where it doesn't share oil with a transmission.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    ok massive relief that you said that cos I just ordered 2L's of the wavetrac recommended Motul 300 75W90. thanks

Users Country Flag
    Ive used about 3 different oils since ive had my wavetrak in. Redline was the first(not the shock proof stuff), then i switched to penrite 75-90 and now ive got nulon smooth shift, 75-90. So far i like the nulon the best. Much smoother when slamming gears, they all felt about the same driving normally. My gearbox builder said as long as its fully synthetic, gl5, and around 75w-90 any oil shohld be fine, just stay away from gear oils containing friction modifiers, they screw with the wavetrak.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    thanks mate. good to hear running a 90 hot has been fine. I went with the motul 300 full synth 75W90 that's recommended by wavetrac. I emailed them in the states and they said there's nothing in particular special about that oil and that the spec Vw oil which is 75 mongrade would have been fine. They just said they make that recommendation so that people think twice about what they put in ie no friction modifiers and don't use rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Lito View Post
    Ive used about 3 different oils since ive had my wavetrak in. Redline was the first(not the shock proof stuff), then i switched to penrite 75-90 and now ive got nulon smooth shift, 75-90. So far i like the nulon the best. Much smoother when slamming gears, they all felt about the same driving normally. My gearbox builder said as long as its fully synthetic, gl5, and around 75w-90 any oil shohld be fine, just stay away from gear oils containing friction modifiers, they screw with the wavetrak.
    interesting - you experience basically mimics mine - I used Penrite SYN for a while and then I put the nulon stuff in one box and notcied it seemd really nice and smooth...
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T