Thread: Vacuum Pump - Changing Oil

Users Country Flag

Vacuum Pump - Changing Oil

I am about to do an oil change on my 2009 Passat CC 2.0L TDI 125kW. I was looking at using a suitable vacuum pump, either hand-operated or electric to suck out the old oil via the dipstick (as the dealer mechanics do) rather than go via the traditional sump drain plug route.

Does anyone know where I can buy a reasonable vacuum pump relatively cheaply; or does anyone know if you can hire for a day from Kennards, Coates or anywhere else?

If I end up just going via the sump drain plug route I'm assuming the only place I can buy a new sump drain washer (and plug perhaps) is from a VW dealer. Haven't seen anything elsewhere - does anyone know of any suitable alternative to dealer - assuming though that dealer is going to charge some ridiculous price!

Cheers.

Users Country Flag
    Drain plug from VW is about $4.50, and they'll have heaps on the shelf.

I personally prefer draining it out the bottom, because that's where all the crap sits that the pick-up hasn't found and sent to the filter.

Plus, you can have a good look over things under there, like driveshaft boots, oil leaks (the undertray can catch a surprisingly large amount of oil!), coolant leaks, etc.

For the sake of undoing 8 screws and 3 bolts, it's worth doing it properly.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Yeah, thought about it - you're right: will do it the tried and true way! Thanks! Will get drain plug from dealer - you're right, a lot cheaper than I thought!

Quote Originally Posted by DeepBlue View Post
    I was looking at using a suitable vacuum pump, either hand-operated or electric to suck out the old oil via the dipstick (as the dealer mechanics do) rather than go via the traditional sump drain plug route.
    I 100% agree with Umai Naa. On my last oil change on the Golf, I noticed the outer LHS driveshaft boot was starting to split. I wouldn't have known unless I was under there & instead of needing just a boot could have resulted in an expensive CV joint.
    I think the only reason dealers suck out the oil is just a time thing, not because it's better.
    I have used a plug twice without any leaks using a torque wrench but realise the seal may not work as well being used twice.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Users Country Flag
    On my own cars, I usually get 2-3 uses out of a plug, before it starts to burr the thread on the sump.

On customers' cars, new plug every time, as per the workshop manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    On customers' cars, new plug every time, as per the workshop manual.
    I completely understand the difference between DIY & operating a service business. On your own car you can keep an eye on things[eg. oil leaks] if you stretch things out. For many who rely on others for their servicing, there is no interest in checking anything from one service to the next.
    On the T4 Forum, there has been some threads about not being able to undo the sump plug[large copper washer] & having to resort to drastic action to remove them. I think some forget to buy a new seal & just tighten a bit more to stop it leaking.
    I have formed a practice to document when I reuse a seal on my service records but know this is not practical when working on others cars.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Did Oil Change Old Fashioned Way! Got a chance to also inspect undercarriage with a torch to look for any obvious problems. Was a piece of cake in the end apart from the fact that because the car has a low front overhang I couldn't run it up on to ramps. Used a couple of sleepers and drove up on them to get sufficient clearance underneath to crawl under. Plastic cover came off easily (8 torx screws) - gave the cover a good clean. Sump plug removal was no problems at all but for the sake of doing a good job I put in a new sump plug with integrated washer from the dealer ($5). Oil filter was straightforward - socket and extension on ratchet had the cover removed no bother - just needed a torx screwdriver again to remove a line and clip above the filter that was getting in the way.

Also changed air filter, cabin filter and fuel filter. Got all parts from Sparesbox. Used Nulon 5W30 Full Synthetic Euro engine oil (was originally going to use Penrite Enviro+ 5W-30).

Is this same as the oil transfer pump to extract some of the overfilled engine oil? Or is it only for diesel? I found one at Jaycar but it says it’s not for petrol but for motor oil and diesel. How do you extract it?
    Last edited by Youdotinmymirror; 02-04-2019 at 05:15 PM.