Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using a same funnel

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    It strips paint off faster than almost anything if not washed off immediately.

Sounds like someone to be avoided. In 7 years neither of my two Vdubs have ever put a drop of oil on my garage floors

If he knows about brake fluid doing that why is he so careless

Ask him what breed of horse he rides All cowboys ride horses

Paintwork seems fine around where the reservoir is so that’s one less thing to worry about for now. At least he wiped it with a rag quickly enough and told me what it can do to the car and hosed it down with water later.

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Brake fluid is safe on the plastic used around in the engine bay. Though, any accidental spills should be immediately washed with the water.

The good mechanic would use (if he had to) different funnel for different fluids. But, the best is not to use funnels for the engine oils, since it’s very hard to keep them clean and you contaminate the engine oil.
    For the past 20years I’m using these OilSafeSystem.com - Oil Safe Products and seperate containers for different fluids.
    It’s a relief to hear that plastics in engine bay are not damaged by it. I noticed on the dipstick that it might have been slightly overfilled. He and I saw that he went a little over 4L in a 5L Castrol Edge (?) 5W-30 - it was the last bottom line and went a bit over that. He didn’t seem too worried.

I’ve been checking the engine oil when it’s warm today and after 20-30 minutes of shutting down and it’s above the max - probably about ?5mm. I’ve got a photo of it but don’t know how to post it here. This dipstick is a bit different to my other car that it’s not twisted above the max level. Don’t know if it’s that. It makes a smeared oil mark up to much above the max line with some space in the middle. I think the solid oil mark (no space in middle) is like 5mm or less above the max line. Is it something that would cause problems? That is by adding 100-200ml of extra engine oil.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Youdotinmymirror View Post
    Paintwork seems fine around where the reservoir is so that’s one less thing to worry about for now. At least he wiped it with a rag quickly enough and told me what it can do to the car and hosed it down with water later.
    Wait for a week or so and see if paint is still Ok Can be like Rachel Hunters hair It wont happen overnight but it will happen LOL
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Wait for a week or so and see if paint is still Ok Can be like Rachel Hunters hair It wont happen overnight but it will happen LOL
    Yeah I’ll keep an eye on it. So how would that look like if it happens. I guess it won’t be visible from outside anyway..

Users Country Flag
    Yeah I’ll keep an eye on it. So how would that look like if it happens. I guess it won’t be visible from outside anyway..
    Well if it dribbled down the firewall for instance and its white If the paint is stripped it will start to flake off and go to bare metal
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    First it’ll look like faded stain, then wrinkly with wrinkled paint lifting from the surface.

Wow it sounds very serious, hopefully it doesn’t happen..

Users Country Flag
    Wow it sounds very serious, hopefully it doesn’t happen..
    Most likely not, maybe slight fading since it was washed of and didn’t stay on it for days, months.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    For the past 20years I’m using these OilSafeSystem.com - Oil Safe Products and seperate containers for different fluids.
    I was at ANSTO last years for an industry presentation on oil handling. They were trialing Oil Safe from delivery of oil drum to system fill plus filtered breathers on the pumps and regular oil filtration after the oil was "in system" for the reactor cooling towers. Contaminants were reduced by ~ 80% and improving. It was too early to say if system reliability had improved but it looked promising.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12