Support VWWC

Thread: Oil leaking after Oil Change

Oil leaking after Oil Change

Hi All.
    I have recently got my car serviced and the mechanic seems to have either not tightened the oil Plug properly or stripped the Threads.
    So naturally the Oil leaks from the Oil Pan.
    Normally I would do this type of work myself but was too busy. Now I am in this situation..
    <span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 11px;">

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Any ideas apart from changing the entire oil Pan ?
    Is the Oil Pan a High pressure area of the engine meaning you must have a seal that can stand at least 20-30 PSI of pressure or something ?

I was hoping to fit one of these oil drain valves
    Oil leaking after Oil Change-fumotovalve-jpg

Any Ideas ?

Users Country Flag
    Sump plug looks like it's leaking because 1) it's the wrong plug, and 2) is that orange goo on it, or a seal?

As for the oil filter housing, I'd probably clean it off with some brake cleaner, and see if it's actually leaking, or just not cleaned in the first place. They generally don't leak from there, although the O-ring that comes with cheaper oil filters isn't the correct size, and will cause a leak.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Looks like the orange o ring on the sump plug is too big. Replace with the one you linked with the better crush washer or just get a sump plug and/washer from supercheap etc. They are like $6 for the plug and washer.. less for just the washer.

Users Country Flag
    It could well be the damaged thread in the sump (due to repeatadly overtightened sump plug), not just the wrong sump plug used/reused at the last oil change.
    Last edited by Transporter; 05-06-2017 at 02:25 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Looks like they've used a washer and an o-ring!
    The mechanic stripped the thread on my mk4 golf (when the previous owner had it), and did a Helicoil repair. They were the only ones to touch the car in 6 years/80,000kms, and spent 8k+ over the years, and had the audacity to charge her for it, and noted "sump thread worn out - sump will require replacement". Not only that, the repair did not work and covered the whole underside of the car in oil from its bad leak.
    | 2016 VW Golf R 7 | DSG | Pure White | Leather | Sunroof | Driver Assist | JB4 |
    | 2003 VW Golf SE | Auto | Silver | Sunroof |
    | 2010 VW Golf R 6 | Manual | Leather | ACC | 19s | Black Pack | GIAC Stage 2+ |

Users Country Flag
    I had a simular experiance ,where i came home after a VW servive and found oil all over my garage floor next day
    Apparently they had spilled the oild down besides the rocket cover and the under tray was full of oil
    i took it back and they had to remove the tray and steam clean the whole engine ,

Thanks for the Reply guys.
    I wen to supercheap auto and got an aluminium Sump washer.
    I also got a tiny bit of this stuff on the threads
    Permatex High Performance Thread Sealant - 50mL - Supercheap Auto

Seems to have fixed the leak. Will continue to monitor. I also cleaned the bottom of the oil filter with brake cleaner. Looks good now.