Thread: MK6 GTI Brake Fluid

BBK...?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by richmurphy View Post
    BBK...?
    big brake kit

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by nat225 View Post
    any DOT 4 fluid will do, but given that you have a nice BBK, I would at least use Penrite Racing RBF600 or Motul RBF600 fluid and change it every 6 months.
    oops, sorry I mistakenly read ongti's signature as richmurphy's... any dot 4 is fine, penrite super dot 4 is prob better.

Got some ATE SL.6 from HSY today. Quite a bargain i thought at $12.50 for 1l. Thanks all for your assistance.

Users Country Flag
    So I've just ordered ATE SL.6 from HSY today for my Passat B7 V6 4Motion Highline as VW also specifies the need for VW Standard 501.14 brake fluid in my car. Ordering from HSY was very easy and they were very helpful. So thanks to HSY.
    And thanks for the info
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    HSY will sell you ATE
    Initially, it was somewhat of a challenge finding a suitable non OEM fluid. And at the end of the day I'm not sure it's actually going to make much of a difference. The boiling points of the VW OEM fluid are dry 265°C / wet 170°C. The ATE SL.6 is dry 265°C / wet 175°C.

In my search for information though I found these threads that others might also find interesting:
    - Car and image Forum
    - Jaguar Forums

It seems the primary difference with the VW standard is the need for a low kinematic viscosity at -40°C of <750 or <700 cST. This seems to be the ISO 4925 Class 6 standard. Many DOT 4 fluids only meet the ISO4295 standard or other classes. Although I haven't been able to find a reference to the standard to find out the specifics.

I'm not sure how much of a difference this will make in Australia. Perhaps if you live in the cooler regions where we get sub 0°C temps it might benefit your ABS system over a higher viscosity fluid. Considering we're talking about a system that can be responsible for saving our life though, I'm not sure I want to risk the use of a product that doesn't meet this spec.

So it seems some other brake fluids that meet this VW spec are (links to manufacturer info where possible):

Note: Some info taken from subabrad - thanks!

Users Country Flag

more info

So I've just ordered ATE SL.6 from HSY today for my Passat B7 V6 4Motion Highline as VW also specifies the need for VW Standard 501.14 brake fluid in my car. Ordering from HSY was very easy and they were very helpful. So thanks to HSY.
    And thanks for the info
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    HSY will sell you ATE
    Initially, it was somewhat of a challenge finding a suitable non OEM fluid. And at the end of the day I'm not sure it's actually going to make much of a difference. The boiling points of the VW OEM fluid are dry 265°C / wet 170°C. The ATE SL.6 is dry 265°C / wet 175°C.

In my search for information though I found these threads that others might also find interesting:
    - Car and image Forum
    - Jaguar Forums

It seems the primary difference with the VW standard is the need for a low kinematic viscosity at -40°C of <750 or <700 cST. This seems to be the ISO 4925 Class 6 standard. Many DOT 4 fluids only meet the ISO4295 standard or other classes. Although I haven't been able to find a reference to the standard to find out the specifics.

I'm not sure how much of a difference this will make in Australia. Perhaps if you live in the cooler regions where we get sub 0°C temps it might benefit your ABS system over a higher viscosity fluid. Considering we're talking about a system that can be responsible for saving our life though, I'm not sure I want to risk the use of a product that doesn't meet this spec.

So it seems some other brake fluids that meet this VW spec are (links to manufacturer info where possible):

Note: Some info taken from subabrad - thanks!

Users Country Flag

Genuine VW (VW Spec – VW 501 14 (TL 766-Z) Class 6)
    Condition Homogenous, Transparent
    Colour: yellow
    Boiling point min. 265° C / 509° F
    Wet boiling point min. 170° C / 338° F
    Viscosity at - 40° C / - 40° F max. ??? mm²/s (but less than 700 mm²/s to meet Class 6)
    Viscosity at +100° C / 212° F ??? mm²/s

ATE Super Dot 5.1 (ISO Spec 4925 Class 5.1)
    Wet boiling point min. 180° C / 356° F
    Viscosity at - 40° C / - 40° F max. 750 mm²/s
    Viscosity at +100° C / 212° F 1.8 to 2.4 mm²/s

ATE SL.6 (ISO Spec 4925 Class 6)
    Wet boiling point min. 175° C / 347° F
    Viscosity at - 40° C / - 40° F max. 700 mm²/s
    Viscosity at +100° C / 212° F 1.7 to 2.3 mm²/s

Penrite DOT 5.1 Brake Fluid (ISO Spec 4925 Class 6)
    Colour: amber
    Boiling point min. 274° C / 525° F
    Wet boiling point min. 184° C / 363° F
    Viscosity at - 40° C / - 40° F max. 690 mm²/s
    Viscosity at +100° C / 212° F 2.04 mm²/s
    DOT 5.1 BRAKE FLUID | Penrite Oil

It appears that the new Penrite product has some very favourable specifications.
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12