Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A few things about oils...

I was in at my dealers getting some touch-up paint and managed to corner the service manager so I asked some more pointed questions about this "special running in oil".

The story is even more murky than I thought. There is no written material at all. It seems there was a meeting of senior VW servicing bods from all over Australia some months ago, and at that meeting they discussed excessive oil consumption in VW engines, and the "solution" they agreed on was to advise owners that their engines had special running-in oil from the factory, and they shouldn't change it too early because it might stop their engines from running in properly.

I merely raised my eyebrows significantly and left it at that - make up your own minds on what is really going on.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

read between the lines. !

yeah , well , it almost sound s like VW is tied up with some yanky corporation now ! LOL.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gregozedobe View Post
    I was in at my dealers getting some touch-up paint and managed to corner the service manager so I asked some more pointed questions about this "special running in oil".

The story is even more murky than I thought. There is no written material at all. It seems there was a meeting of senior VW servicing bods from all over Australia some months ago, and at that meeting they discussed excessive oil consumption in VW engines, and the "solution" they agreed on was to advise owners that their engines had special running-in oil from the factory, and they shouldn't change it too early because it might stop their engines from running in properly.

I merely raised my eyebrows significantly and left it at that - make up your own minds on what is really going on.
    I'm positive that there is no special factory oil.
    Looking at my 2 UOA I did at 2600km (factory special oil ) and at 14045km (SLX LL2oil).
    Physical test look very similar in both oils, no real difference to me. I would say that both oils were 0W30 synthetic with the same properties.

Anyway I changed the factory oil at approximately 2700km and now at 70,000km engine is running very quiet compare to some T5’s I had a chance to see, almost 0 oil usage between 7,500 oil and filter change intervals right from the new.
    Regardless, my next VW car or any car will have oil change at 1000km as I use to.

“Clean oil doesn’t wear out the engine, the dirty oil does.”

I'm with Transporter on this one. I guess I'll just have to organise clandestine early changes for my next new VAG vehicle (just to avoid grief from the VW service people). What they don't know can't hurt them
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Users Country Flag
    Great to see a SOAP sample on the oils there Transporter, good info! Would be good to compare say your next oil change compared to the previous one now that you've done a few more Km's and the motor has bedded in.
    Also I have a new Skoda vRS 125kw CR TDI motor and it supposed to run the VW 507 00 spec oil, and there is a pretty little "skoda recommends Shell Oils" sticker under the bonnet. I've found the new Shell helix Ultra 'Extra" has the VW 507 spec on it, so just wanted to get an idea if you rate the Shell oils at all??
    Last edited by dazag; 21-11-2009 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dazag View Post
    I've found the new Shell helix Ultra 'Extra" has the VW 507 spec on it, so just wanted to get an idea if you rate the Shell oils at all??
    I'll probably be using that oil for both of mine when I run out of Castrol SLX Professional LL3 vw 504/507 (the Castrol oil costs too much and is too hard to get these days). Some people prefer Fuchs oils.

Users Country Flag
    Shell Helix Ultra Extra is second cheapest oil after Penrite Enviro+ 5W30 which is fully imported oil (info from Penrite rep) difference between the two is probably $20 retail. Many voices from Czech republic (where there are VW and Skoda cars as common as Holdens here) are saying as long as it is approved for your engine, it doesn't matter what brand you use, some are saying stick with one brand of oil, I believe it is not that critical for the engine oil to be the same brand. I used Castrol LL2 in my T5 from the start and now I have Fuchs in it (bought it for good price from Motortraders). I started to use Fuchs since VW dealer no longer have Castrol LL2 in stock (current LL2 oil you can buy from VW dealer in Adelaide is made in Italy and doesn't mention Castrol at all).

I will do UOA in my T5 at 80,000km

Users Country Flag

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gregozedobe View Post
    I was in at my local VW dealer booking both my Transporter and my Octavia in for "intermediate" oil changes (I do lots of short trips in one, and the other won't be used much for the next 3 months), and I had an interesting converation with the service person about frequency of oil changes.

She told me that VW now strongly recommend to owners of new VW vehicles (both diesels and petrols) to leave the original oil until it is 15,000km or 12 months old (whichever is the sooner). And that changing it sooner could lead to warranty problems, especially if related to oil consumption. Her explanation is that VWs now come with "special running in oil" that should be left in to help the engine to run in properly.

I asked for a copy of the bulletin to see exactly what VWA said, but was told "Sorry, it's for internal VW consumption only".

I'm still happy that I drove both of mine sensibly but with vigour on lots of hills in the first 1,000km to help the rings seal better in the bores, and also did an intermediate oil change, but it seems that VW don't want you to do the extra oil change before the first official oil change at 15,000km or 12 months old.

One can only assume they have good reasons for saying this, as it is reducing dealer income.

Anyone with access to the official bulletin that can add to what I was told ?
    GregozedobeV late reply to this post, but info is always good no-matter. It’s an interesting point you’ve raised, especially in the light of my new 2.0TSI Octy being given a complimentary service at 1,500 (that’s ONE thousand, five hundred k’s), where the oil and oil filter were changed. The dealer said they offer the service to make sure all’s going ok with the car, and they are also a VW dealer, so I presume they do this 1500 oil change for the VW’s as well. Either they didn’t read the alleged bulletin, or maybe there isn’t one...........
    Redline3345 MY11 Octavia vRS Wagon TSI DSG | Brilliant Silver | Milltek cat back exhaust | Bilstein PSS10 | TSR Panorama | Remsa | Leather | Sunroof | Towbar | Front Sensors | Boot Protector | Xenons | Corner Fogs | Alarm | Extended Warranty | Superskoda Bits & Bling

Users Country Flag

M 2011 Tiguan TDI had its 1500km service and there was no oil change, my car is now a month old. I was informed all they do is walk through a checklist to ensure everything is going OK and to come back at 15,000km. I must admit I would feel more easy with a change of oil in between.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast