Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coolant Spec (manual vs reservoir)

Coolant Spec (manual vs reservoir)

Hi everyone. Can someone pls clarify for me with regards to coolant spec. About to embark coolant flush: Manual states G13 and reservoir has G12. Which info is correct?
    Thanks

Users Country Flag
    Age of car and type of car will help. G13 is the newer version of G12. So theoretically you can use either, but G13 is the current spec and G12 is older. I think it was around 2015 when they switched over to G13.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 31-03-2022 at 11:33 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Age of car and type of car will help. G13 is the newer version of G12. So theoretically you can use either, but G13 is the current spec and G12 is older. I think it was around 2015 when they switched over to G13.
    2013 Passat 1.8l Wagon

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by FPV View Post
    2013 Passat 1.8l Wagon
    It *should* be G12 spec being a 2013 model, but check your owners manual and the coolant bottle under the bonnet should also say what spec it needs.

G12 is cheaper than G13 also.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Thanks Lucas_R. Called a VW dealership and was advised that their new premix G12 supersedes the G13. They don't sell the G13 anymore ????

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by FPV View Post
    Thanks Lucas_R. Called a VW dealership and was advised that their new premix G12 supersedes the G13. They don't sell the G13 anymore ????
    First ive heard of a new G12?? The ingredients in the G13 were kinder to the environment so strange they would go back to a G12. Sounds iffy.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

First ive heard of a new G12?? The ingredients in the G13 were kinder to the environment so strange they would go back to a G12. Sounds iffy.
    I agree

Users Country Flag
    G12evo (is the latest) and has been out for a while.
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag
    G12evo is what I was sold about a year ago for my Mk6 GTI (and I noted the same thing as the OP with what is on the reservoir vs the manual).

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
    G12evo (is the latest) and has been out for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaffs View Post
    G12evo is what I was sold about a year ago for my Mk6 GTI (and I noted the same thing as the OP with what is on the reservoir vs the manual).
    I wish I knew that about 3 weeks ago when I bought this to do a flush on my car: MEYLE Original Antifreeze Coolant Purple G13 1.5L | Sparesbox

Seems odd that no one seems to sell the G12evo in Australia. VAGParts, RunAutoParts, Sparesbox etc none of them sell it. The only place I can find (apart from VW dealership, but who wants to deal with their crap) who sells it is this random place VW G12evo Engine Coolant 1.5 Litre (G13)

G13 will have to do for me - it will be better than the 6-7 year old coolant thats in there now anyway.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast