Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coolant Spec (manual vs reservoir)

BUMP

just checked on the wife's new Tig manual after noticing the coolant level was creeping towards the 'min' level on the expansion tank. Specifies G12Evo spec coolant which none of the local dealers actually have (so I'm guessing they'd put G13 maybe if they needed?), but noticed Penrite have a G12Evo spec product now:

PURPLE OEM COOLANT PREMIX | Penrite Oil

should be fine right? I always wonder why Penrite's coolant have such a low boiling point (108dec) which is not much higher than water... In my own Ford hot hatch I run Nulon coolant that goes up to 128deg instead....

G12evo = VW TL774L
    G13 = VW TL774J
    G12++ = VW TL774G

G12evo has superseded all other coolants for VW and can be mixed with the other VW coolants.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...08466-0001.pdf

I rang VW spare parts and all they sell now is G12evo G12E050A2. I guess if you use the penrite purple, it wont be that pinkish colour that the VW coolant looks like.
    2008 MY09 Ibis White Audi S5 Manual SOLD!
    2017 MY18 Manganese Grey VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg SOLD!
    2018 MY18 Indium Grey VW Golf 110TSI Comfortline, DAP & Infotainment, Folding Mirrors!
    2023 MY23 Nevada White Cupra Formentor VZx

Thanks for the linked TSB.
    "When mixing G12Evo with G11, G12, G12+, G12++ or G13 the coolant becomes brown, this is normal and does NOT necessitate a coolant system drain and fill." That would explain why my coolant colour turned brown after a dealer service last year.
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc 140TSI, Audi Q5 40TDI
    Past VWs- Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

Just picked up a bottle from the stealership (Melbourne city vw). Surprised it was only $17.60

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipper Dog View Post
    Thanks for the linked TSB.
    "When mixing G12Evo with G11, G12, G12+, G12++ or G13 the coolant becomes brown, this is normal and does NOT necessitate a coolant system drain and fill." That would explain why my coolant colour turned brown after a dealer service last year.
    Either that or the silica bag that is inside many modern VW/Audi coolant overflow bottles burst which does the same thing. This happened earlier this year on my wife's car and the coolant became a horrible rusty/brown colour and the coolant overflow bottle was stained by it. I had to buy a new coolant overflow bottle, and flush the coolant system many many times over a few weeks to clean all of the contaminated coolant out.

After I was satisfied the system was sufficiently flushed, I refilled (using a vacuum filler) with fresh G13 coolant and it has remained its vibrant pink colour since.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Either that or the silica bag that is inside many modern VW/Audi coolant overflow bottles burst which does the same thing. This happened earlier this year on my wife's car and the coolant became a horrible rusty/brown colour and the coolant overflow bottle was stained by it. I had to buy a new coolant overflow bottle, and flush the coolant system many many times over a few weeks to clean all of the contaminated coolant out.

After I was satisfied the system was sufficiently flushed, I refilled (using a vacuum filler) with fresh G13 coolant and it has remained its vibrant pink colour since.
    what vacuum filler did you use?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by avf383 View Post
    what vacuum filler did you use?
    I used the Draper one which worked well. I have plenty of G13 coolant and demineralised water left over so ill be doing a coolant flush on my Mk7 GTI over the Christmas break too
    Draper 09544 Coolant Vacuum Refill Kit : Amazon.com.au: Home Improvement

This one appears to be the exact same tool and is cheaper OEMTOOLS 24444 Coolant System Refiller Kit, 5 Adapters, Eliminate Trapped Air, Test Radiator and Heating Core Lines for Leaks, Vacuum Fill Coolant Tool, Vacuum Leak Tester: Automotive: Amazon.com.au
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    I used the Draper one which worked well. I have plenty of G13 coolant and demineralised water left over so ill be doing a coolant flush on my Mk7 GTI over the Christmas break too
    Draper 09544 Coolant Vacuum Refill Kit : Amazon.com.au: Home Improvement

This one appears to be the exact same tool and is cheaper OEMTOOLS 24444 Coolant System Refiller Kit, 5 Adapters, Eliminate Trapped Air, Test Radiator and Heating Core Lines for Leaks, Vacuum Fill Coolant Tool, Vacuum Leak Tester: Automotive: Amazon.com.au

thank you much appreciated

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12