Support VWWC

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Checking Oil Level cold or hot?

Checking Oil Level cold or hot?

Hi everyone,

Age old question - Doing my head in a bit. I just checked my GTi and found it below the low part of the hashed area when cold on a level surface. drove it 5km to get some oil and now find it in the middle.

Do I fill to the maximum (top of the hash mark) while hot or cold? I think cold personally, but what have others found out (ie fact not opinions)

Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Did you pull the dipstick and wipe it clean and put it back in to check. Always do that

I have always done mine first thing in the morning when all the oil has drained down. However in a recent thread some say turn motor off and wait 10 mins and do it.

Will stick to my way which means ALL the oil is in the sump. Having too much is sometimes worse than not enough. The Manual says turn engine off Wait for a few minutes and check. It also says too much can damage Cat so what do you do. Follow whats in the Manual I guess if you are worried It tells you and shows pics of the dipsticks used.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag

If you want facts, VW provide a handy manual that provides all the facts you need.
    If you want opinions you've come to the right place. Most oil checks require the engine to be warm. A lot of dipsticks also have this stamped on them. I check all my vehicles when they are warm.

Quote Originally Posted by minke View Post
    Age old question...

Do I fill to the maximum (top of the hash mark) while hot or cold?
    Age old answer...

Refer to the owner's manual.

Users Country Flag

Here are two pics detailing the levels. Basically, the oil level should be in the 'dipped' area. Top kink is max, lower kink is min. Hashed/chequer plate area is 'comfort zone'......
    MK6 MY10 Golf GTI, 5dr Manual, Carbon Steel, Detroits, Tint
    T6 MY06 Peugeot 307 HDi Touring, Manual, Iron Grey, Tint

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Mi16 Man View Post
    Here are two pics detailing the levels. Basically, the oil level should be in the 'dipped' area. Top kink is max, lower kink is min. Hashed/chequer plate area is 'comfort zone'......
    Good advice but it doesnt say WHEN to do it to achieve posted instructions only HOW to do it.

Cold, Hot, hot and wait 10 mins???????????????????????

I do mine first thing in the morning when all oil is in the sump as if too much then it could foam if crank should hit it ( Unlikely I know)

This was endlessly thrashed a few months ago and I think the wait 10 mins and do it was the popular recommendation but 'RTFM"
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 27-05-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Users Country Flag

And, apply common sense.
    MK6 MY10 Golf GTI, 5dr Manual, Carbon Steel, Detroits, Tint
    T6 MY06 Peugeot 307 HDi Touring, Manual, Iron Grey, Tint

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Mi16 Man View Post

And, apply common sense.
    The reason I asked was because the OP asked and your post said how to do it but not when .

I have gone and got my manual and I quote.

Have car on a level surface. Switch off engine and wait a few minutes for oil to flow back into sump.

The oil can be checked IMMEDIATELY IF THE ENGINE IS COLD. Like first thing in the morning as I do.

I recommend the cold method as you are sure all the oil is down and therefore you wont overfill it if you are careful and only put small amounts in at a time and wait for it to get down.

The difference between the low "C" mark and high "A" mark is 1.5 litres according to the manual

Its on page 296 in mine if OP wants a quick reference save looking in the Index
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 27-05-2013 at 08:39 PM.

But what if it's 1st thing in the morning and you have just gotten back from a super early pre dawn drive???

Sorry, just being a smarty pants...

I reckon you will get differing results comparing cold check to warm check after a 10 minute wait. Because of expansion/contraction caused by heating/cooling of metallic reservoirs.

Check when hot after a few minute wait after shutting down.
    Current: MY18 TRANSPORTER CrewVan, Indium Grey
    Previous: MY10 Tiguan 2.0TSI, Silver Leaf, APR StgII tune + many mod's

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MGV View Post
    But what if it's 1st thing in the morning and you have just gotten back from a super early pre dawn drive???

Sorry, just being a smarty pants...

Yes you are The meaning being that the car has been sitting not turned on long enough to cool down fully whatever time of the day it may be..

At my age predawn is for sleeping.

If your predawn "drive" has expanded the metal that much I suggest you wait longer for things to contract.

You normally get a difference in capacity because the oil has not drained down fully and therefore you could overfill it.

Whatever floats your boat.

I quoted what the manual said and thats what the OP asked for and his one probably says the same

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast