Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Checking Oil Level cold or hot?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Youdotinmymirror View Post
    Just checked the engine oil level in the morning when cold and it seems to have gone up about 1-2mm than when it was warm yesterday. It is different to what I've read so I guess filling it when cold would be better although shouldn't make a big difference if it's at low and filling it minimally.
    Cant see how there would be less showing cold than hot.
    When the engine is running the oil is circulating through the block therefore a certain amount is not in the sump so level will be lower. When you park the car and let it cool down the oil in the galleries runs back down due to gravity and when it all gets to the bottom the level will rise. I always check my oil in the garage before I start it in the morning when its cold. Pull the stick wipe it and put it back in and then take that level. Never fails. Whatever method you choose always do it the same way. Anyone who waits for the warning light to come on deserves all of the consequences they may get. Oil needs to be checked at least weekly if car running every day.

When travelling full time I checked water, oil and tyres EVERY MORNING. Same when I drove buses Forget and you would be hauled into the office to explain why.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Cant see how there would be less showing cold than hot.
    When the engine is running the oil is circulating through the block therefore a certain amount is not in the sump so level will be lower. When you park the car and let it cool down the oil in the galleries runs back down due to gravity and when it all gets to the bottom the level will rise. I always check my oil in the garage before I start it in the morning when its cold. Pull the stick wipe it and put it back in and then take that level. Never fails. Whatever method you choose always do it the same way. Anyone who waits for the warning light to come on deserves all of the consequences they may get. Oil needs to be checked at least weekly if car running every day.

When travelling full time I checked water, oil and tyres EVERY MORNING. Same when I drove buses Forget and you would be hauled into the office to explain why.

Thanks for the information. I'm now starting to get into the habit of checking it more regularly. I didn't have to in the past as I've never had to top up till recently at around 105K km. It sounds like a dumb question but can we top up without a funnel? I poured into the filler cap without spilling out of the engine but noticed that there are two holes inside the filler cap where I just poured into.

Users Country Flag
    [/QUOTE]Thanks for the information. I'm now starting to get into the habit of checking it more regularly. I didn't have to in the past as I've never had to top up till recently at around 105K km. It sounds like a dumb question but can we top up without a funnel? I poured into the filler cap without spilling out of the engine but noticed that there are two holes inside the filler cap where I just poured into.[/QUOTE]

If you have steady hands and dont pour too fast you can The bit in the hole is to stop it blowing back up if you forget to put the cap on ( I think)

So right after the service when the engine oil is fresh I check my dipstick following the owner’s manual after shutting down the car it’s like probably 3mm above the max and after 3 hours of shutting down when the engine is a lot cooler but not cold, it’s about 2-3mm below the max. Has it been overfilled? I asked this question in my other thread with other questions but then found this old one. This is for my 2017 92TSI.

Users Country Flag
    Question!!!!!! When you get your oil changed at a service is the oil hot or cold when they fill it and check it.

Its cold isnt it and thats what I rely on and have in the 63 years I have been driving I have owned 41 cars and driven heavy vehicles and motor bikes and always checked the oil the same way.
    Always when its cold and been sitting for a while Have never had problems. Had to do that on the buses and did the same when I owned Taxis Get up go out check oil, water and tyres and go to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Question!!!!!! When you get your oil changed at a service is the oil hot or cold when they fill it and check it.

Its cold isnt it and thats what I rely on and have in the 63 years I have been driving I have owned 41 cars and driven heavy vehicles and motor bikes and always checked the oil the same way.
    Always when its cold and been sitting for a while Have never had problems. Had to do that on the buses and did the same when I owned Taxis Get up go out check oil, water and tyres and go to work.
    So when the engine is cold and the level on dipstick falls on the smooth area above dotted area but below max is fine? That’s where it’s at on mine after 3 hours of shutting down. It’s probably a smear of oil but seems somewhat solid especially about up to 3mm above max when engine is warm - the smear goes up quite high on this particular dipstick but that 3mm at the bottom above the max is all covered in oil (no gap in middle as in being smeared) so I guess that’s solid and overfilled? Or doesn’t matter as long as it’s in that smooth area when cold.
    Last edited by Youdotinmymirror; 02-04-2019 at 08:47 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234