Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 506.01 T5 Owner - where to purchase 506.01 spec oil??????

Question 506.01 T5 Owner - where to purchase 506.01 spec oil??????

I've worked out that I MUST run 506.01 spec oil in my 2005 R5 T5 and can't seem to source it anywhere other than a local dealer that has it in bulk and doesn't sell it in 5L containers etc.

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction to:

1. An oil manufacturer and oil name; and

2. A stockists please (I'm in Sydney)?

I've worked out that Liquid Molly does one, Synthoil Longtime Plus 0 W-30, however their local preferred stockists doesn't carry it and has difficulty in ordering any less than by boxes of 5L containers.

Would greatly appreciate any assistance.

Thanks
    Matt

The following products are approved to VW oil standard 506.01, but availability is not guaranteed:

Elf Evolution CRV 0W-30
    Total Australia

Fuchs Titan Supersyn Longlife Plus 0W-30
    Fuchs Australia
    Burson Auto Parts

Liqui Moly Synthoil Longtime Plus 0W-30
    Liqui Moly Australia
    TheCarCareStore

Motul Specific 506 01 506 00 503 00 0W-30
    Motul Australia

Q8 Formula Excel EDX 0W-30
    Q8 Oils distributor

Repsol Elite Turbo Life 50601 0W-30
    Repsol Australia

Good hunting.
    Last edited by Diesel_vert; 29-04-2014 at 11:33 PM.

Thanks for the list-all seem pricey and hard to source.

A link was provided elsewhere on VWWatercooled to the following, which suggests that Penrite produces and oil which meets the 506.01 spec-I'll call them to follow up:

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/tech_pd...20CARS%202.pdf

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mattjenna View Post
    Thanks for the list-all seem pricey and hard to source.
    Such is the nature of approved 506.01 lubricants these days, unfortunately.

A link was provided elsewhere on VWWatercooled to the following, which suggests that Penrite produces and oil which meets the 506.01 spec-I'll call them to follow up
    To date, Penrite do not have a product that has been certified and approved by Volkswagen to VW oil standard 506.01

Nevertheless, Penrite (as with any lubricant manufacturer) may recommend a product for applications calling for VW oil standard 506.01, if they themselves deem it suitable.

Users Country Flag
    This thread any help?
    Who stocks 506.01

506.01 isn't cheap - that's how it is
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    A link was provided elsewhere on VWWatercooled to the following, which suggests that Penrite produces and oil which meets the 506.01 spec-I'll call them to follow up:

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/tech_pd...20CARS%202.pdf

Matt
    For the sake of your R5 TDI engine stick with the approved oil, the saving is not worth it. Sooner or later the damage from wrong oil in your T5 will show up.

If there would be no 506.01 oil and I had to make a choice I would go with 507.00 oil preferably Mobil1 ESP and used (continue using) LiquiMoly MOS2 additive with every oil change. Though, still wouldn't be surprised when the valve train fails.

ELF Australia doesn't have 506.01 , never had.
    Fuchs most likely doesn't bring it in anymore.
    So, only the option is Liqui Moly Synthoil Longtime + 0W30 , which would cost less than Fuchs anyway.

Thank you for the considered replies.

It's really difficult to source the oil and so expensive-also, it seems that there's quite some confusion out there amongst mechanics etc. around the oil.

I'm not sure if anyone here is qualified to comment - however, I was under the impression that the 507 spec was OK so long as servicing was NOT on the long life program. Could it really be correct that the 6/2006 introduction of a DPF resulted in entirely different engine components - as far as I can work out there 507 spec is lower ash than the 506.01 and that's the difference in the spec?

Again, thanks.

Matt

Users Country Flag
    transporter has answered your question already.

I can see you are chasing an easy-to-purchase, reasonably priced alternative but it isn't available unfortunately.
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    From the Valvoline Lube Guide

SYNPOWER XL III 5W-30
    A premium, long life synthetic engine oil designed for Volkswagen Euro IV engines with DPF (Diesel Particle Filter) requiring VW 504 and VW 507 technology. The product can also be used where VW 503.00, 506.00, 506.01 are specified. SynPower XL-III 5W-30 is suitable for engines with WIV system and for extra long drain intervals up to 30.000 Km. or 2 years. SynPower XL-III SAE 5W-30 can be used in modern VW, AUDI, Seat and Skoda gasoline and diesel engines and gives excellent protection even under extreme circumstances.

Users Country Flag

It's a 504/507. What it's saying is that it can substitute for a 506.01. A lot of the 504/507 oils say that. My understanding is that it isn't the same chemical or lubricating composition.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast