Thread: Shopping for my Eos, looking for help (offers :-)

Shopping for my Eos, looking for help (offers :-)

After looking at tonnes of cars, decided the EOS was for me.

I'm going to check out an 07 demonstrator on the weekend. As far as I can tell, there's not much difference between the 07 / 08 / 09 models? Well, except for the 10k in cost.

So I'm kind of suspicious and would welcome any and all advice.

Looking at a silver TDI DSG executive demonstrator with grey leather and an alarm. I'd LOVE to have the paddles. I read somewhere that there are aftermarket people who'll fit them for not-too-much?

Hi,

And welcome to the fascinating world of topdown driving (or contemplating it, anyway).

Main differences between 07/08 and 09 are:

1) TDI is a common rail (CR) in 09 models, and Pumpe-Düse (PD) in the older models. This has significant effect on the engine noise, to some extend on the power delivery, and a small effect (beneficial) on economy figures.

2) 09 models get the upgraded entertainment system (5xx series) which means colour touch screen double the size of the "black and white" old units (3xx).

Other than that, to the best of my nowledge, we're looking at cosmetic differences, e.g. the shape of the rearview mirrors (external).

Hope this answers some of your concerns.

Seeya,
    Michael
    MY08 125 kW TDI Wagon
    PE Black, Sunroof, iPod
    MY09 CR TDI Eos 6-speed manual
    Candy White, black leather, Sports suspension with 18" Chicagos

Yes, incredibly helpful

Thankyou.

The B&W / Colour screen is an interesting difference. I'm certain that isn't worth the difference in price, but being an avid technophile, still worthy of notice.

The difference in injection system is very worthy of note. Thankyou very much for that, it's really made me think about the options available. The main reason I'm going TDI is for fuel efficiency. If the 07 is less efficient... well, holy hell! Novate me up other options

BTW: Almost certain that EOS is the future, call me a 'very likely addict'

Hi,

Before you get too excited: I wouldn't base a decision on fuel economy. The difference is small, your driving style is likely to be a bigger factor. And if you're looking at a difference of about $10k in purchase price, well, you can buy a lot of fuel for that.

What is very apparent is how smooth the CR is compared to the PD (I'm driving both). While it sounds nothing like a petrol engine it certainly doesn't sound like a diesel (at least most of the time). In the Passat (with PD) you KNOW it's a diesel.

Hope this helps.

Seeya,
    Michael
    MY08 125 kW TDI Wagon
    PE Black, Sunroof, iPod
    MY09 CR TDI Eos 6-speed manual
    Candy White, black leather, Sports suspension with 18" Chicagos

I have an 08 TDI which has the old motor in it. While it has a bit more of the diesel clatter than the new engine, it certainly isn't off putting.

She is averaging just over 6 litres per 100 km (calculated on every litre since new and every KM since new) Admittedly a reasonable amount of highway driving.

The petrol motor is quicker off the mark, but the TDI has more torque and once its spinning, has it available whenever you want it.

I am totally happy with the PD motor. Part of the reason for VW going to common rail was cost of manufacture - smoothness was just a side benefit and to my mind, not a big issue.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffa1 View Post
    I have an 08 TDI which has the old motor in it. While it has a bit more of the diesel clatter than the new engine, it certainly isn't off putting.
    When sitting inside the car, I can't tell the difference between the CR and PD engines. Standing on the outside, the difference is obvious. But as it's been said, it doesn't sound like a tractor. Even with the roof down, it's hard to hear it.

Mum's got the 08 TDI DSG. Whenever I take it out, I get quite a lot of comments. Great car, especially in the city.

Sunroof // ICT Tint // Seats // Steering wheel

Another thing to consider is that the PD motors with DPFs (Diesel Particulate Filters) are not very well suited to continuous stop start driving in heavy traffic. The DPFs tend to clog up if they don't get driven on a highway or freeway every 3-4 days. The 125Kw PD motor is the worst offender, the 77Kw and 104Kw PD TDIs less so.

AFAIK this doesn't seem to be happening to the CR engines as much (or at least I haven't read many reports of it happening, anyway).
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Lots of MY08 models available at the moment. Just have to have a serious talk to your local dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by RECRUT View Post
    Lots of MY08 models available at the moment. Just have to have a serious talk to your local dealer.

Maybe but they suffer in comparison to the MY09 models - would need a big, big, BIG financial incentive to take an MY08 over our MY09.
    Carer for my partner's Eos 2.0 TDI DSG MY09 Candy White/Cornsilk Beige leather trim.

Quote Originally Posted by silvershadow View Post
    Maybe but they suffer in comparison to the MY09 models - would need a big, big, BIG financial incentive to take an MY08 over our MY09.
    After doing my research and getting advice from here, to my mind $11,000 was big enough. I decided it was Ok to go with the 07... so I bought it!!!

After driving the DSG and the Manual, I thought that the manual would be more fun so went with it. Now currently searching the web seeing how I can hot the thing up. There doesn't seem to be many aftermarket VW options on-line in Australia, although I'm sure that they're around. I haven't done much research yet into how a TDI can be jacked up to be faster / more fun.

But honk if you see a 30 something year old man dumping his clutch around Melbourne in a Polar Sea Blue EOS with the roof down in the rain!!!
    Last edited by DSG4Me; 06-08-2009 at 08:33 PM.