Support VWWC

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Eos - bluetooth options

Quote Originally Posted by whoistheg View Post
    My install is tomorrow so ill let you know how it goes.
    How did your installation go?

Cheers,
    David

Hi all

Just an update on how the BT is going etc.

Install:

Volkspower were good. They use the Skoda OEM kit and im pretty sure they get this from Guy Harding. Dropped car off at 9:30am picked it up at 3:00pm
    No scratches on any panels or anything. The BT unit sits in the official spot
    under the drivers seat and is covered by grey carpet piece which comes in the kit.

OEM microphone is run up the drivers side pillar and across the top of the
    sun visors to the OEM position.

RNS510 no idea how the cable was routed to plug this in i have not looked

EDIT: it looks exactly like the following http://octavia-vrs.com/technical/bluetooth.html

We have the premium steering wheel installed in our EOS so we have the
    (Star) button and the (Phone Icon) button the RHS and on the LHS we have the (menu) button and the (OK) button.

Pressing the (Phone Icon) button does nothing. From reading all the threads (vwnavi) this is correct. I thought it would at least be the same as pressing the phone on the 510.

I don't believe it can be setup. I think its used if you get other BT models or cars without all the extra buttons. Press the (Star) button and hold it (for voice dialing which i have not worked out how to do yet)

Using BT:

My wife and i both have iPhones (me 3g and her 3gs) both worked great. They bond very fast and have access to all the functions.

The only little gripe is there does not appear to be a priority list of phones. I would like it if it worked like the following.

If i was driving the car and my iPhone was bonded first, then pick my wife up from work and she gets in the car with her iPhone i would like her phone to take over.

It does not work that way. First in first bonded. To unbond my iPhone you have to switch off BT and then hers will bond. This is kinda hard with the iPhone when its plugged into the MDI input in the glove box and then you have to do 5 swipes of the iphone to turn off BT.

It would be good if you could do this from the MFD in a settings menu so turn it off at the BT kit level not the phone level

From reading a lot of other threads about BT phone kits in cars im pretty sure all of them behave like the VW kit so this so its just my wishful thinking on how i would like i to work.

I'm not sure how many phones you can have bonded to device. I think it might me 20 or so.

Each phone allows you to store 6 numbers in the speed dial location on the 510. So when my iPhone is connected i have my 6 speed dials. When my wife's phone is connected she has her 6 friends in speed dial. So it remembers this which is great.

Calls are very clear. The integration is fantastic. When a call comes in it fades out the radio. phone rings and name will pop up on 510 as well as MFD you then press (OK) button on steering wheel to answer the call or green pickup button on 510.

The iPhone works fine in MDI (playing music) mode with BT as well. It will just fade down the current song its playing and then phone will ring.

I did have a problem trying to sync my work phone Nokia 3120. It hung trying to copy over phone book. I might look into that later. It might need a FW update or something.

To hang up its just as easy. Press arrow down on the steering wheel to hang up and press ok. Or press red hang up button on 510.

When you are on a call you have the option to mute the microphone.

You also get all your Calls/Missed calls/Dialed numbers on the MFD as well as the 510.

The one thing you don't get with this kit is any SMS functionality. If you need this you might want to look at the other kits.

Price and Thoughts:

Yes is bloody expensive but the way im looking at it as $1100 for the unit and $400 installation. 4 hours at $100 an hour Which is not too bad as to get one from OS is about $600 euro which is about $1000 then you have to pay for shipping and installation.

I have no problem at all recommending Volkspower. They have done these kits before and they know the whole VW system.

The thing that sealed it for me is within 10 minutes of handing my wife her car back she has figured out how to use it and has no problems now answering and making calls and for me that's all that matters
    Last edited by whoistheg; 14-07-2009 at 12:55 PM.

Excellent writeup... Seems a little weird that it doesn't use the phone button on the MFSW. It would appear from your research that is normal though...

Good to see the WAF is high LOL... That's always a biggie!

Great that it's all gone well.

ok some more info..

Maybe we need to add this to the BT FAQ for Nokia Symbian phones if they are having problems syncing phonebook/contacts over

http://europe.nokia.com/get-support-...a-810/software

1. Download Nokia 810 Contact Download Application for Nokia S60 3rd edition devices and install it using Nokia PC Suite.
    2. Remove all pairing to the carkit from the phone.
    3. Make sure Bluetooth is turned off on the phone.
    4. Sit in the car with the ignition on so that the Bluetooth kit is switched on.
    5. Run the Contact Download Application on the phone.
    6. Follow the prompts to enable the Bluetooth and connect to the car.
    7. The contacts will be transferred, it may take a couple of minutes.

I have not tested this yet. It looks like it should fix my phonebook problem with the work phone
    Last edited by whoistheg; 14-07-2009 at 01:22 PM.

Excellent write-up whoistheg!

I have booked my Eos to have the same kit installed at Volkspower on Monday.

Tinting tomorrow at Tint-a-Car. Is yours tinted? If so, where did you get it done?

Cheers,
    David

Good stuff with the BT. You should really like it.
    After a few more days usage i have to say it just works.
    Phones bond every time. I can dial numbers no problems
    and people comment that they have no problems hearing me.

I got my tint done at Tint a Car, North Melbourne

I read they have done a few EOS on this forum so
    that was good enough for me

They do the rear window first and then take the roof down to
    do the 4 side windows. Nice and simple

It was $299 for midnight express. I think it was their sale
    before EOFY but you should be able to get them for that price.

Hey,

They quoted me $295 for Midnight Express so I guess they are still doing it.

Did you look at the other tints and decide Midnight Express was the best looking one on the Eos? I don't know which tint to get yet (Bolle, Formula One or Midnight Express) - I'll have a look when I get there and decide at the time.

I'm guessing the Midnight Express will look the best (being the darkest).

Cheers,
    David

Hey Optic,

How did you go with the tint and BT install?

All good?

Happy with the BT?

Quote Originally Posted by whoistheg View Post
    Hey Optic,

How did you go with the tint and BT install?
    Hey whoistheg,

Had Formula One tint done at Tint-a-Car and it looks great.

Got the BT installed on Monday. Also very happy with it - it works just as you said in your long review. The only problem is that Volkspower have forgotten to code it properly. My "star" button does not activate voice dialling like it should (it still mutes the radio).

I have read on different forums that there is a code which determines whether the star button does the voice dialling or whether it remains as mute. They have accidentally left it as mute (even though they verbally told me to use the star button for voice activated dialling).

No big deal - I'll take it back there one day to have it programmed right. Just a bit of a hassle as they are not located near where I live or work.

Cheers,
    David

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast