Support VWWC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi there (2009 eos blk) oil question

Hi there (2009 eos blk) oil question

Hello im from sydney I have owned my 2.0L turbo auto Eos for just over 1 yr and between services I have had to put in oil as I was concerned about it I called them up and I was told that the Eos'es do go through oil, has anyone else noticed there car also goes through oil,Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by debbie View Post
    Hello im from sydney I have owned my 2.0L turbo auto Eos for just over 1 yr and between services I have had to put in oil as I was concerned about it I called them up and I was told that the Eos'es do go through oil, has anyone else noticed there car also goes through oil,Debbie
    Yes. They do use some oil.

2008 Blue Graphite GTI DSG with Latte leather.

Users Country Flag
    A 'typical' consumption is 1L of oil every 1000km for a turbo car.
    Previous Rides: Polo GTI, Mx5 10AE, MY05 WRX WRP10, Renault Sport Clio 172
    Current Ride: Evo 8 MR, Fabia MK3

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by break View Post
    WTF??? If your car is using 1 litre of oil every 1000km there's some serious issues that need addressing.

Quote Originally Posted by break View Post

This is not typical - this is the VW specification for MAXIMUM oil consumption before it becomes a warranty issue.

Typical oil consumption should be between 1 and 2 litres per 15000Km depending on the type of driving and where the car is driven. Our TDI DSG Eos used 1 litre of oil in its first 15000Km for 80% country/20% city driving with an average trip of 100+ Km

I presume your car is fitted with a DPF and should be using synthetic long-life oil to the VW 507 spec [Penrite Enviro + 5W-30 from Repco Auto Parts].
    Carer for my partner's Eos 2.0 TDI DSG MY09 Candy White/Cornsilk Beige leather trim.

Quote Originally Posted by silvershadow View Post
    This is not typical - this is the VW specification for MAXIMUM oil consumption before it becomes a warranty issue.

Typical oil consumption should be between 1 and 2 litres per 15000Km depending on the type of driving and where the car is driven. Our TDI DSG Eos used 1 litre of oil in its first 15000Km for 80% country/20% city driving with an average trip of 100+ Km

I presume your car is fitted with a DPF and should be using synthetic long-life oil to the VW 507 spec [Penrite Enviro + 5W-30 from Repco Auto Parts].
    Hi me being a woman not really understanding all these things my car is using 1tr every 3000 km city driving only which i thought is too much whats your opinion,debbie

Hi me being a woman not really understanding all these things my car is using 1tr every 3000 km city driving only which i thought is too much whats your opinion,debbie

Debbie, which engine do you have - petrol or diesel?

It is usual for the engine to use more oil than usual in the first 5000Km then decrease as the engine is fully run in . If you have the TDI diesel, these benefit from being pushed harder than a petrol engine to bed in the rings to minimise oil consumption. Our TDI used close to 1 litre in the first 5000Km then virtually none for the next 10,000Km

I would not worry too much about your oil consumption until your car has at least 10,000 Km up when you will get a truer indication of what the consumption rate really is. If you have a petrol engine doing short city trips, it is not unknown for water condensation in the sump to mask oil usage until you do a long highway trip and find the oil level has dropped dramatically when this condensate has evaporated. For this reason, it is always good practice to check the oil level of a "city slicker" at the first rest break on a country drive in case the oil is at the minimum level or lower to avoid possible engine damage.
    Carer for my partner's Eos 2.0 TDI DSG MY09 Candy White/Cornsilk Beige leather trim.

Debbie, which engine do you have - petrol or diesel?

It is usual for the engine to use more oil than usual in the first 5000Km then decrease as the engine is fully run in . If you have the TDI diesel, these benefit from being pushed harder than a petrol engine to bed in the rings to minimise oil consumption. Our TDI used close to 1 litre in the first 5000Km then virtually none for the next 10,000Km

I would not worry too much about your oil consumption until your car has at least 10,000 Km up when you will get a truer indication of what the consumption rate really is. If you have a petrol engine doing short city trips, it is not unknown for water condensation in the sump to mask oil usage until you do a long highway trip and find the oil level has dropped dramatically when this condensate has evaporated. For this reason, it is always good practice to check the oil level of a "city slicker" at the first rest break on a country drive in case the oil is at the minimum level or lower to avoid possible engine damage.
    Hi I have a petrol eos and have done 19584km with only city driving and occasional short trips ,debbie

Hi I have a petrol eos and have done 19584km with only city driving and occasional short trips ,debbie

OK - have you owned the car from new or did you buy it second-hand? If you bought it new, how did you drive the car for the first 5000Km?

When did you notice the car was using oil and how much did you have to add to top-up the oil? Did this happen after the car was serviced at 15000Km? Was it after you had done one of your short trips at highway speeds?

Have you had to top-up the oil a second time, how much was needed and what distance had been travelled?

Any evidence of fresh oil leaks on the ground where you regularly park your car?

OK - have you owned the car from new or did you buy it second-hand? If you bought it new, how did you drive the car for the first 5000Km?

When did you notice the car was using oil and how much did you have to add to top-up the oil? Did this happen after the car was serviced at 15000Km? Was it after you had done one of your short trips at highway speeds?

Have you had to top-up the oil a second time, how much was needed and what distance had been travelled?

Any evidence of fresh oil leaks on the ground where you regularly park your car?
    The car was brought new,

being a lady I drive normal dont race or drive hard at all.

then it went for the 7,500 service safety check
    I hadnt checked the oil at that time and no light had come on.

we didnt get to 15,000 as the oil light came on at 12656 and we had to add 1ltr of oil to the car.We took it back then Iasked the VW service centre if it was normal for this to happen and was told that its normal oil use .

we are roughly putting in 1ltr per 3,000 km city driving and they are still telling us its normal consumption because its turbo petrol.

No oil leaks at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast