Support VWWC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fuel type is it 95 or 98?

Users Country Flag

My fuel flap decal says "Minimum 95 ron" I run 98. I have run 95 ron and the fuel economy is worse, so it works out similar cents/km.

I did run 91 once as the stupid dealer gave me a free tank of fuel as compensation for another stuff up. The difference in torque was unbelievable and fuel economy was affected by 15%.

We also run 98 in our 20yo mazda 323 as it goes 2-3 months between fills and fuel does lose octane as it ages.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Well I have kept all my fuels receipts for 2 years and have filled with 95 or 98 depending on where i was at the time and my consumption varies between 9.2 and 10.88 over mostly the same sort of trips. Dont know which was which and is usually a mix of the two so a difference of 1.6 L per 100km isnt worth worrying about
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Now that I finally got my car back, I can read the actual book that I got with the car, not some manual or online reference I found. It mentions all fuel variations 91,95 and 98 with no preference to any as it also mentions multiple engine types. It explicitly says to use what is on the fuel lid. So problem solved.
    Now to fix the cam chain tensioner before the engine explodes this weekend and throws some rods and/or the entire crankshaft through the engine block and directly into the brand new mechatronics unit.
    Last edited by chrisb123; 04-03-2021 at 11:10 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisb123 View Post
    Now that I finally got my car back, I can read the actual book that I got with the car, not some manual or online reference I found. It mentions all fuel variations 91,95 and 98 with no preference to any as it also mentions multiple engine types. It explicitly says to use what is on the fuel lid. So problem solved.
    Now to fix the cam chain tensioner before the engine explodes this weekend and throws some rods and/or the entire crankshaft through the engine block and directly into the brand new mechatronics unit.
    Dont use 91 or more than the tensioner will blow up

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Dont use 91 or more than the tensioner will blow up
    When you see a mushroom cloud this weekend you'll know the cause

Users Country Flag
    When you see a mushroom cloud this weekend you'll know the cause
    We havent been joking but you do what you want you seem to know all about it despite the warnings in the thread

Users Country Flag
    I don't think any VW engine has used 91ron for 20+ years. My 1997 2.0 NA Golf was minimum 95ron. Are you sure you weren't looking at MON or AKI octane ratings?
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    We havent been joking but you do what you want you seem to know all about it despite the warnings in the thread
    I'm not joking either, says "fuel that is required" not "minimum but we recommend you use higher"
    Fuel type is it 95 or 98?-img_20210306_204644-jpgFuel type is it 95 or 98?-img_20210304_112432-jpg
    Last edited by chrisb123; 06-03-2021 at 07:59 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Argument over; use 95 or 98 only; the flap decal say min 95. The underlined section in the manual refers to what range of fuels are available, and then directs you to the fuel flap for what your vehicle should run. Personally I use 98 whilst 95 would meet the minimum requirement. I prefer to take care of the engine and minimise risk. If you use 91 you will suffer reduced power and, in my view risk engine damage.Save on fuel and pay higher mechanical repair blls, as well as voiding warranty. -Cheers-John

I use 95, the only time I've ever used 98 is in my bike that needed 98 minimum. It was very annoying when riding out in the country

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123