Thread: Advice needed - RHS rear window glass alignment

Users Country Flag

Advice needed - RHS rear window glass alignment

Let the fun begin...the leading edge of my driver's side rear window, from top to bottom, is uniformly 4mm inset towards the inside of the car. According to be book, the window glass alignment to the front window should be flush +/- 1mm, so mine's miles out. The seal between the front and rear windows barely seals at all, and lets a lot of white noise in to the cabin right near my ear, which is pretty annoying. The height is fine, and the rake/inclination is fine, and it's definitely the rear window that is inset and not the driver's window being outset. The driver's window alignment (height, rake) is fine.

So, armed with he special tool one needs to adjust EOS/Audi Cab rear windows, I dismembered the interior and loosened the locknuts and tried adjusting the mounting studs. Nothing moved. The studs turned but turning them didn't seem to move anything. The were surprisingly easy to turn, too. Being the first time I've tried to do this, I'm in the dark as to how far I'm supposed to turn the studs and in fact which direction, clockwise or counter-clockwise, I should be going - the manual doesn't explicitly say. I retreated and put everything back together, but I need to get this sorted.

Short of taking the entire regulator assembly out so I can actually eyeball how the darn thing is supposed to adjust, have anyone ever done this and can anyone offer some tips?

Oh, after hearing horror stories about burned-out hydraulic pumps, I'm going to spend the $85 on the roof supports so I can hold the roof in the service position and have a good go at it.

I can't explain why the window glass is inset so much - the other side is dead flush and so are the windows on most EOS's I've looked at (although the gap between windows, supposed to be 9mm +/- 2mm, is all over the place on most cars!). My car has not been pranged, so that rules that out, the roof alignment is within spec as is the door alignment & fit. I thought that maybe someone replaced a broken window glass, but I was definitely the first to venture behind the trim and there's no shards of glass to be seen. Bit of a mystery, really.

Anyone got any pointers for me?
    Last edited by DucatiST; 28-08-2012 at 08:16 AM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

No one, eh? Oh well, I'll tackle it myself and take a few pics for anyone else who may need them. I've got my hinge supports for the roof and the only other special tool I need, so I'll tackle the task whenever I can have the car off the road for a few days. Stay tuned...