Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trailer Light issues!!

Users Country Flag

I have a Redarc electric brake controller (on dashboard), which sends the right signals, with or without electric brakes on towed items. I also have an intermediate unit for LEDs on towed items.

A dealer (hopefully), or a good Indie will wire the vehicle correctly, the first time - diodes are required if you don't have an electric brake controller or the intermediate unit that I spoke of earlier.

Some installers will wire simply, then cancel scan codes permanently meaning that future problems will be masked.

My ride can tell if any bulb on a towed item is U/S.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by V10Touareg View Post
    I have a Redarc electric brake controller (on dashboard), which sends the right signals, with or without electric brakes on towed items. I also have an intermediate unit for LEDs on towed items.

A dealer (hopefully), or a good Indie will wire the vehicle correctly, the first time - diodes are required if you don't have an electric brake controller or the intermediate unit that I spoke of earlier.

Some installers will wire simply, then cancel scan codes permanently meaning that future problems will be masked.

My ride can tell if any bulb on a towed item is U/S.
    I sincerely hope you bought a Redarc Tow Pro and not the old 1RBH model which in comparison is rubbish.

The difference being the Towpro is proportional , meaning it brakes as does your car depending on how hard you apply the brakes.

The old model you dial up how hard you want the brakes to apply and thats what you get so if you have it set for a nice dry road and you get a sudden shower you will likely lock the van brakes if you dont back it off somewhat.

Been there done that, chucked the crap one in the bin and fitted a decent one.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    I sincerely hope you bought a Redarc Tow Pro and not the old 1RBH model which in comparison is rubbish.
    I've got the dial-up model. Thanks for the tip.
    MY07 V10 TDi Touareg
    98,000 Km
    HPF flash tune - 273 rwkW & 813 Nm

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by V10Touareg View Post
    I've got the dial-up model. Thanks for the tip.
    They are both dial up

These are the good ones https://www.redarc.com.au/trailer-brakes/tow-pro

These are the set it hope models https://www.redarc.com.au/trailer-br...ser-controlled

I note they have changed the definiton of the old ones
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    They are both dial up

These are the good ones https://www.redarc.com.au/trailer-brakes/tow-pro

These are the set it hope models https://www.redarc.com.au/trailer-br...ser-controlled

I note they have changed the definiton of the old ones
    Thanks, again.
    MY07 V10 TDi Touareg
    98,000 Km
    HPF flash tune - 273 rwkW & 813 Nm

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by TREGGA View Post
    Contacted dealer he said it's normal for blinkers to come on with brake lights, this a european thing and I need a device to increase the current to the trailer which costs $250, has anyone else encountered this?
    Total Bunkim . . . He is trying to sell you a load box . . should not be required.

Users Country Flag

The Treg Trailer module is "supposed" to be LED compliant. But that depends on the phases of the moon and what leg you are standing on . . you get the drift.

I had extreme issues with a boat trailer. I though I had is sussed like
    1. Never plug the trailer in while the engine is running
    2. Never plug the trailer in with the light switch on auto - light switch off is preferable

The above would give me reliable connection to the trailer with not dash board error codes but then while driving I would get bulb out indications. Next lights, turn off the motor, restart the car the the problem would go away.

So no consistency.

I have tried a load box as well . . . still issues. The load box makes the LED lights look like normal high power incandescent lights. It should Not be required . . . but at the time I was desperate.

So I rewired the boat trailer.
    Removed all the wiring.
    Added new wiring OUTSIDE the steel section of the trailer.
    Did NOT splice into a cable run for the mudguard clearance lights but ran a separate circuit from the plug for these light - i.e. all lights had a direct run from the plug with no interruption.

No issue since. Can plug in when ever I want - all good.

Make of this what you may but IMO the VW trailer module is overly sensitive to
    a) cable distance to LED lights
    b) probably the LED lights themselves - brand / quality etc
    b) cable runs INSIDE the steel frame upset the controller (inductance etc).

Of course they may have been intermittent cable faults in the original wiring but I did check all this before taking the radical steps I took. I know I still have issues with rental trailers . . . . the load box I bought is my standby in this case but again I still have issues with bulb out errors in this case.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123