Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spare wheel / snorkel

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T Rex View Post
    I normally just carry my spare wheel on the floor but at times I need the floor space for other objects - such as a dog. So I got to thinking about alternative locations and remembered my old Range Rover had its spare located upright against the nearside rear window.

I tried standing my new spare in that location and although it looked an unlikely fit, it was possible to close the rear hatch without interference as long as the rear cover and cargo barrier are removed. So I have welded myself up a frame which I simply zip tie to the floor location points when I want to carry the spare upright. There is approx 12mm clearance all round.

The pics tell the story. It actually looks quite neat if you put a generic cover over the tyre. BTW this is the new Scorpion ATR in 245/65/17.

Cheers

Geoff
    Hi, Geoff.
    It is really nice improvement I saved your pictures to my folder (thank you) and will make that my summer holiday project. It would be nice if you include the measurement.
    How would it be on the right side? I mean the rear view visibility.

Once again, thanks.

Geoff,
    What a neat solution - looks great and minimises the floor / load height issues. Keep us posted on the performance of the scorpions.

cheers,

..Neil
    ..Neil

Audi Q5 2.0 TDI
    sold and missed: '05 Touareg R5TDI
    SWMBO: '08 Golf Pacific TDI DSG

Specs for wheel holder

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The attached pic should help. Critical dimensions are the vertical & lateral location of the nut (welded in position) relative to the base as this locates the tyre so there is clearance all round (it rests on the base). You may need to do a trial fit, especially if you have different wheels or tyres.

Holes are drilled through the side of the base to allow zip ties to the cargo tie down points. It is surprisingly secure once the tyre is in place. Make sure you carry something to cut the zip ties or else you cannot access under the rear floor

Reverse the posiion of the upright for R/H installation but be aware access to the CD player will be difficult in that location.

I won't be replacing my other four P ZERO tyres with the ATRs until I need to go in the rough stuff (or they wear out) but I'll let you know when that happens.

Cheers

Geoff
    Last edited by T Rex; 10-12-2008 at 03:12 PM.
    T Rex
    2008 T2 V6 TDI Atacama/Anthracite, Air Susp, Bi Xenons, Sunroof, Fogs, Roof Rails, Tow pack, full size spare inside car

Users Country Flag
    Thanks Geoff
    much appreciated.

Spare wheel / snorkel

Hi,
    I'm new to this site; we purchased a V6 TDI in November and are enjoying driving it very much. We did a 4WD course a couple of weekends ago which was fantastic. It was great to see what we could do in the car. We'd like to purchase a spare tyre to throw in our camper trailer when we go off road but the $600 VW fee turns us off (have read previous posts with the same issue. )

We're in Melbourne; any suggestions as to where we can source a cheapy? (17in standard)

On another issue, does a Touareg snorkel exist in Australia? We got a bit of a scare when two lights came on after a water crossing.
    Thanks,
    Fiona

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiona View Post
    Hi,
    I'm new to this site; we purchased a V6 TDI in November and are enjoying driving it very much. We did a 4WD course a couple of weekends ago which was fantastic. It was great to see what we could do in the car. We'd like to purchase a spare tyre to throw in our camper trailer when we go off road but the $600 VW fee turns us off (have read previous posts with the same issue. )

We're in Melbourne; any suggestions as to where we can source a cheapy? (17in standard)

On another issue, does a Touareg snorkel exist in Australia? We got a bit of a scare when two lights came on after a water crossing.
    Thanks,
    Fiona
    I bought a brand new tyre from tyre shop and matching rim from the dealer, yes it was expensive but i know it is faultles and reliable. To my knoledge i don't think there is a snorkel for the treg.
    Yeah, and welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona View Post
    Hi,

Thanks,
    Fiona

Hi Fiona,
    just keep looking on Ebay and you will see the 17" rims pop up now and then.

Reference lights coming on with your water crossing, which two light were they?
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc 140TSI, Audi Q5 40TDI
    Past VWs- Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

Never seen a snorkel although the question's been asked a million times. I figure just don't go too deep. I'd been interested in what lights came on as well. Never had a problem myself and I've had water over the bonnet, well bow wave anyway
    2009 LR D3 SE
    2005 Touareg R5 Lux - gone

Talking spare wheel

fiona,
    i had a concern with the original spare, before going on holiday i purchased a cheap steel VW rim (under $200) from barloworld in moorabin and got a tyre fitted.
    glad i did as i ruined a tyre off road 600km from home, threw the spare on and drive home towing.
    when you get the crazy $600 price they are refering to an original mag
    also the standard spare is tedious to fit and inflate

mooseman
    mooseman, 2007 touareg, assorted, bikes, boats ect

Welcome fiona and mooseman!

Quote Originally Posted by blommpau View Post
    fiona,
    i had a concern with the original spare, before going on holiday i purchased a cheap steel VW rim (under $200) from barloworld in moorabin and got a tyre fitted.
    OK, now you've got me interested...

Mr Moose - what touareg variant do you have? An R5 TDI?
    If so, then I can understand your ability to fit a "cheap steel VW rim". What size was it and what tyre did you get fitted?
    (I've never heard of a dealer making that option available, although the Touareg 360 project vehicles from Germany were R5's with 16 inch steel rims = supposedly they match the transporter...)
    If that is the case (ie you have an R5), then your experience is unlikely to be available to others with V6 or bigger engines as they have bigger brakes and also a different bolt pattern.

However, if you have a V6 etc, with the 130mm bolt pattern, then you did VERY WELL getting a cheap wheel from VW. I don't think anyone else has come across that?!?

Please comment...

Also, Fiona, were the two lights that came on during the water crossing on the centre of the dash past the flip-up storage box? If so, that is not unusual. They will almost always come on during a water crossing telling you that the front parking sensors have got water in them and will not work for a few minutes. Otherwise, what were the lights and we can see if the brains trust here can comment.

cheers,
    Last edited by Moonan; 12-02-2009 at 11:11 PM.
    ..Neil

Audi Q5 2.0 TDI
    sold and missed: '05 Touareg R5TDI
    SWMBO: '08 Golf Pacific TDI DSG

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast