Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spare wheel / snorkel

Hi Greg,

I have a spare 17" rim for the current Touareg V6 TDi.

The price is $180.00 plus freight(Approx $15).

If your interested PM me.

Treg2

Full size spare

I have the 2007 TDI and did not get the full size tyre carrier option on the back. However, I always intended to have a full size spare for trips etc.

Should I buy a full VW spare from the dealer or is there a sensible alternative, hopefully at half the price. I thought there may be a steel rim the would fit.

any ideas

Hello Harks,
    most of us without the spare wheel carrier have purchased an extra wheel from 2nd hand buyers, ebay has been very good of late, but check out club touareg http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f6...tdi-14551.html
    there is some discussions at the end of this thread.
    You will need to obtain a tyre from somewhere as VW does not supply the same tyres every time???? So it will be a lucky dip if you are able to get a tyre the same as what you have.

There is always the VW spares option but that will be $600 wheel alone.

Ebay has this on currently
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/WHEELS-TYRES-...QQcmdZViewItem
    Group buys may be a way forward with this one, I am sure if you ask some one will jump on board with you.
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc 140TSI, Audi Q5 40TDI
    Past VWs- Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by harks11 View Post
    I have the 2007 TDI and did not get the full size tyre carrier option on the back. However, I always intended to have a full size spare for trips etc.

Should I buy a full VW spare from the dealer or is there a sensible alternative, hopefully at half the price. I thought there may be a steel rim the would fit.

any ideas
    Its a 5x130 wheel, so you can also get wheels from other vehicles that fit such as the Porsche Cayenne, hit up a few wreckers and see if they have any rims. Alot will be incomplete sets of wheels from accidents and the like and you should be able to pick up a rim or two for alot less than a whole set.

Good luck!

rear wheel carrier

I own a 2005 TDI. At the time of purchase in early 2006, I was not prepared to wait for a factory fitted rear wheel carrier.
    I have bitten the bullet, and bought a spare wheel & tyre, which I carry on a roof rack when on trips away.
    However, I want now to buy a rear wheel carrier.
    VW do not sell them as an accessory. Kaymar does not make one for a Treg.
    Any ideas, anyone?
    My location is Gold Coast.
    Robrut

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by robrut View Post
    I own a 2005 TDI. At the time of purchase in early 2006, I was not prepared to wait for a factory fitted rear wheel carrier.
    I have bitten the bullet, and bought a spare wheel & tyre, which I carry on a roof rack when on trips away.
    Any ideas, anyone?
    Robrut
    Buy it as a spare part with the new tail gate and replace both.

Quote Originally Posted by robrut View Post
    Any ideas, anyone?
    Robrut
    Hi Robrut
    When I bought my new V6TDI this year I intentionally bought a spare wheel, not the rear carrier as I felt the inconvenience of moving the carrier to open the rear door would annoying. Also, I don't like the look of the rear carrier. I'm intending to make up a false floor to go over the spare when laid flat. However, seeing you have been carrying a spare around with you, I'm interested in why you would now want a rear carrier? Cheers Geoff
    T Rex
    2008 T2 V6 TDI Atacama/Anthracite, Air Susp, Bi Xenons, Sunroof, Fogs, Roof Rails, Tow pack, full size spare inside car

Harks,
    Be careful that you don't buy the wrong wheel! You have said you have a "TDI", but not which engine... If you have a V6, it is - as Houso says, a 5 x 130 bolt pattern. However, if you have an R5, it is a 5 x 120! T5 Transporter wheels will fit an R5, and so there may actually be a "cheap" steel wheel option - even in 16"...

Robrut & Harks,
    You cannot retrofit a genuine spare wheel carrier, it is a major factory job integral with manufacture. There are differences in sub-frame (extension to hinge area for strength), bumper (now houses numberplate and slot for weight-carrying tab at bottom of wheel carrier), tailgate, etc. Also it is integrated in the central locking, has number plate lights mounted on it, display on dash when open etc.

Trex,
    As for why anyone would want a carrier, I guess it is personal preference but I actually like the look of the carrier (must be the inner engineer), and felt the inconvenience of driving a long distance on the temporary tyre (and where do you put the flat one when you are fully loaded?) or the inconvenience of a large section of the boot taken up by a potentially muddy tyre or the inconvenience of wrecking my back trying to get a spare on or off the roof or the inconvenience of buying extra fuel and worse handling with a heavy wheel on the roof were worse than the inconvenience of swinging the carrier open to lift the tailgate.
    cheers
    ..Neil

Audi Q5 2.0 TDI
    sold and missed: '05 Touareg R5TDI
    SWMBO: '08 Golf Pacific TDI DSG

Neil

You are right - it is personal preference. There is no perfect solution. My last 4WD was a Prado and on upward slopes my wife found she could not use the rear door as the weight of the wheel would push the door open quite violently. Also opening the rear door in parking lots can be dicey if another vehicle is close.

At least with either solution we can enjoy our Tregs on the open road without relying on the ridiculous space saver! Cheers.. Geoff
    T Rex
    2008 T2 V6 TDI Atacama/Anthracite, Air Susp, Bi Xenons, Sunroof, Fogs, Roof Rails, Tow pack, full size spare inside car

Alternative Spare Wheel Mount

I normally just carry my spare wheel on the floor but at times I need the floor space for other objects - such as a dog. So I got to thinking about alternative locations and remembered my old Range Rover had its spare located upright against the nearside rear window.

I tried standing my new spare in that location and although it looked an unlikely fit, it was possible to close the rear hatch without interference as long as the rear cover and cargo barrier are removed. So I have welded myself up a frame which I simply zip tie to the floor location points when I want to carry the spare upright. There is approx 12mm clearance all round.

The pics tell the story. It actually looks quite neat if you put a generic cover over the tyre. BTW this is the new Scorpion ATR in 245/65/17.

Cheers

Geoff
    T Rex

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast