Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oettinger Turbo Diesel Remap

Oettinger Turbo Diesel Remap

Have just got a price of $2400 to remap the ECU in my coming V6 Turbo Diesel by Oettinger--has anyone done it and if so was it worth it?Rgds Sparky

Would not recommend remapping the factory ECU, it could screw up the ability to report error codes correctly.

A better way would be to used the DP Chip plug and play solution from AWD Technologies. If you are getting the V6 Tdi the DP31 literally installs in 5 minutes and makes a remarkable difference to the of the line performance.

I would recommend you visit this web site and research the product for your self.

www.dpchip.com.au

Treg2

Quote Originally Posted by Treg2 View Post
    Would not recommend remapping the factory ECU, it could screw up the ability to report error codes correctly.
    where did you hear this?
    2x Caddy, 1x Ducato

Not to mention that the DP Chip is about $1300
    2009 LR D3 SE
    2005 Touareg R5 Lux - gone

oettinger

Offered by Volkspower via Ottinger download..apparently okd by my local dealer--see Ottinger site re the results...191KW and 550nm--the DP loom as I understand it generally increases fuel pressure ...understand the Ottinger and Steinbauer systems change a number of variables--hence my question who has tried any?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Treg2 View Post

Treg2
    That's cobblers, none of the fault reporting is affected.

Plug in chipping isn't as sophisticated as flashing the std ECU. It modifies signals between the ECU and fuel system rather than using correctly written software in the first place.

Gavin

Smile

Chipping or Remapping is governed by what type of engine configuration and what modifications you have performed.

I have just traded an MY03 Subaru WRX with cold air induction, exhaust, fuel pump and injector modifications which required a ECU remap.

My newly purchased Touareg has none and most likely will never have any modifications to the engine so remapping the ECU seems unnecessary particularly when Volkswagen Australia most likely would NOT warranty such a modification.

My own personal decision was to use the DP plug in option mainly because a large number of diesel transport vehicles are using it successfully. It is undetectable by the dealers software if I choose to leave it connected, but if I do want to remove it I can pull it out in 5 minutes and revert the vehicle back to factory spec.

As for the error code comment I was speaking from experience, but I must admit it was with my WRX which is a whole different animal to the diesel powered Touareg.

I suppose the bottom line is do what ever you feel comfortable with, perform due diligence to confirm who is going to warranty your engine if something goes wrong or be prepared to cope the cost yourself.

Treg2

Users Country Flag
    Chip it or not?
    If you have a chip installed Vag-com will find out, so I thing the factory VAS diagnostic tool will find it even faster. And if you reprogram it, it will be recorded similarly like in this attached picture.
    Attachment 1508
    I personally like original things - not modified.
    Put yourself in the manufacturer shoes and imagine that somebody bought your car which you designed and produced. He modified it to get more power out of it with out proper testing and when it is broken down he even demands repair it under the warranty.
    Would you repair it?
    I wouldn’t.
    The manufacturers warranty is the best warranty you can have. Don’t fell for warranty from the chip manufacturer. Wait till the warranty is over and then chip it.

Cheers
    MRL T5
    Last edited by Transporter; 16-01-2008 at 07:11 PM. Reason: edit text

Just to clear up some of the "myth's" in this thread:

A properly tuned ECU reflash (like Oettingers) is exactly that - a fully retuned ECU, changing requested & actual boost, fuel delivery, timing / pulse, load signals (yes -- the load signals that feed directly to the TCU & also take the feedback from the TCU - which protect your transmission). It also transmitss all sensors in their exact, original form, fault codes & all. if your fuel pressure sender gets a fault - its recorded!

A "tuning box" of any brand can not do all this - pure & simple. We sold "tuning boxes" from Germany for many years (and the German ones were about 2k) - We have seen some sold here in Australia in volumes that are made in Indonesia for about a total cost of $75 and then sold on for $1000 to $1500. Tuning boxes were good in the older style motors, but would you use them on a newer style motor? - If you know how your EDC 15 & EDC 16 ECU works in your later VW, you will know how it records & logs data. Bump up the fuel pressure & it records it - purely & simply.

There was a well known case of a Touareg V10 TDI in Brisbane that was fitted with "Tuning Boxes" - the car developed fuel system leaks (lots of them) and was taken in for "warranty" - Of course it was denied and upon investigation it was found that the owner had removed the tuning boxes as advised by the "company" that sold them to him.

Big risk on an expensive new TDI motor.

Of course we sell Oettinger so we know it's effects - and also what written warranty is offered from them (see the website) - and we can also arrange for Oettinger to be installed in your new Touareg via select dealers around the country - complete with 3 year written engine / drivetrain. Feel free to call me if you need any more details. We are responsible for tuning well over 500 VW & Audi diesels in the past few years (07 3392 2980)

Cheers

Guy

P.S. - MR T5 is correct -

Modifications of any sort - Can effect warranty.

The biggest issue & responsible for the biggest number of claims is window tinting - Most people think window tinting is harmless - but often an untrained apprentice will have the job of dismantling your new cars door trims to get access to the windows - Broken clips, rattles, damaged door handle connectors etc.

So tinting your windows can void the warranty on the doors of your car (and has!)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast