Thread: Difference between 150kw TDI and 180KW Tdi

Users Country Flag

Difference between 150kw TDI and 180KW Tdi

Hey all just wondering if anyone knew how to tell the difference between the 150kw V6 TDi and the 180kw V6 TDi there it no clear way of tell yet one is traditionally quite more expensive.

Hi Craig
    My understanding that it is very simple

At the rear if the “I” in the “TDI” is red then it is 180 but if silver or blue then it is the 150

There is also a difference in the Vin coding as the 180 is a VW motor and the 150 is a retuned Audi as per the Amarok motor

Users Country Flag
    As far as I am led to believe, the 180's have air suspension too whereas the 150's have steel springs.
    2013 Touareg V8TDi - Black, LED Interior Mods, LED Projector "VW" Door Courtesy Lights, 20" VW Mountain Rims with A/T Tyres, Pioneer SX Roof Platform with some 4x4 accessories and a whole lotta torque

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    All good and thanks I ended up purchasing a 2014/2015 3.0 TDi 180kw Treg with roof and air suspension.

Users Country Flag
    Hello Craig,
    I also have moved from Ford Territory to Touareg 2016 TDI 180kw with air suspension etc,toying with a "Tiregate" spare wheel mounting, need to get it right as presently it's got far too much hitch overhand for my liking!
    I will be towing a 2.4ton Evernew caravan and ungently require a carried full sized spare, looking around for a rim as we speak.
    Hope we can enjoy both a collaborative and mutual understanding for a smoother transition into VW's.
    Cheers,
    Mick.
    Last edited by mulquemi; 19-12-2019 at 10:21 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Difference between 150kw TDI and 180KW Tdi-screen-shot-2019-12-18-8-57-21-am-png this is the more modern version of mine.

Users Country Flag
    I carry my spare wheel on my pioneer roof platform when i'm towing my caravan. Much better option than putting more pressure on the tow hitch. Maybe that is an option for you.
    2013 Touareg V8TDi - Black, LED Interior Mods, LED Projector "VW" Door Courtesy Lights, 20" VW Mountain Rims with A/T Tyres, Pioneer SX Roof Platform with some 4x4 accessories and a whole lotta torque

Hi Fred,

Are you sure about the differences between the two engines. I’ve just bought a 150kW and was hoping to retune things. Was going the 150kW engine was simply a detailed version of the 180kW engine?

QUOTE=Fred K;1305713]Hi Craig

At the rear if the “I” in the “TDI” is red then it is 180 but if silver or blue then it is the 150

There is also a difference in the Vin coding as the 180 is a VW motor and the 150 is a retuned Audi as per the Amarok motor[/QUOTE]

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ameliorator View Post
    Hi Fred,

Are you sure about the differences between the two engines. I’ve just bought a 150kW and was hoping to retune things. Was going the 150kW engine was simply a detailed version of the 180kW engine?

QUOTE=Fred K;1305713]Hi Craig

There is also a difference in the Vin coding as the 180 is a VW motor and the 150 is a retuned Audi as per the Amarok motor
    [/QUOTE]

You can still tune the 150kW engine for more power even though that the 180kW engine has most likely some changes in the engine internals to safely handle the extra 30kW. As this is the case in the difference between the 165kW and 190kW V6TDI in the Amaroks.