Support VWWC

Thread: Decontaminating Paint

Users Country Flag

Decontaminating Paint

Only recently joined, early am today. I spent a number of hours today, taking advantage of cool, ca 17C conditions with cloud cover too start the process of removing minor scratch marks in the clear coat & Clay Baring with lubricant to remove embedded grime in the paint surface.
    It is surprising how much contamination is removed, judging by the colour of the clay. Some embedded particles are very stubborn to remove. Slow process, approximately 5 hours today, for 4.5 panels. Not looking forward to dealing with the roof. Had to wash off dark lichen spots along raised edges. Car was previously garaged on the street under deciduous trees. A lot of decaying leaf matter inside of fuel filler flap & under the sides of the rear glass.
    Successfully removed a couple of minor surface scratches on the left rear flank with energetic use of a muslin cloth & some extremely fine finishing polish.
    Applied a sealing polish to all areas that I clayed today. Reckon I have at least another 3 days off work to decontaminate remaining panels.
    Upon completion of the cleaning & polishing I will apply a sealing coat to assist in maintaining appearance. Currently using my Old School AutoGlym products, but will most probably change to the locally produced Bowden's Own

Users Country Flag
    Hi ChampagneWC., What you are doing is hard work, but ultimately satisfying. I think it's a great way to get to know the vehicle, as you will pick up little problem areas as you go.I've been working on a Mk6 Golf along the same lines, and it's now gleaming. I'm working in the engine bay now which is in good nick, but some insulation is detaching from the firewall and I am trying various fixes.Good luck with your project. Cheers-John

Users Country Flag
    Very satisfying to detail a car yourself, although its a big job - especially on something the size of a Touareg.

Do yourself a favour and buy yourself a dual action polisher as it will not only speed up the time taken in polishing/scratch removal hugely, but you will get a much better result than doing it by hand. Also use some dedicated good quality polishing compounds designed for paint rejuvenation and scratch removal, rather than a finishing polish which is really only designed to enhance gloss and for very very fine scratch removal.

Basic DA polisher: ToolPRO Dual Action Polisher 240V 720W 150mm | Supercheap Auto

Better quality DA polisher with more powerful motor: AutoCosmetica PRO-15 DA Polisher — Meguiar's Australia
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 03-06-2021 at 09:17 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Thanks for your comments, finished cleaning, by hand, yesterday. Then applied a generous coat of Carnauba based polishing compound. Allowed that to cure for a while, then overcoated with a sealing compound, followed by a light hand buff, then wipe down all over with an old fashioned chamois. It fits me.
    Final job looks great. Still need to do wheels & tyres. Today maybe if the weather holds.
    I am no stranger to doing this type of job. With both of my previous vehicles, often received comments on their appearance. Both gone, one stolen, other written of - uneconomic to repair.
    I have, somewhere amongst my belongings, a 240v polisher, currently lost in my sons catch all shed.