Support VWWC

Thread: Caravan wind deflector for Touareg?

Users Country Flag

Caravan wind deflector for Touareg?

Hello Touareg & caravan lovers,
    Moved up to Touareg as tow vehicle and need to install an Aero brand wind deflector to these longitudinal roof racks ,may I have some advice regarding this?
    Some may suggest it’s a waste of effort for the returns expected, not me though as we’re so content with the deflector advantages,we wouldn’t tow without one fitted, Territory went so well and before that was the ford BA,Subaru all the way back to Mazda in 1985!

Presently have a front mounted solar panel which needs deflector to prevent insect strike in addition to improved handling behaviour.
    This aero deflector requires additional widthways rack for fitting,though I’d check with your advice first?
    Hopefully I am not just single minded here!
    cheer,
    Mick.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hello again,
    Well apparently I'm on my own with wanting to fit a wind deflector,I've ended using my pro rack HD roof rack (single one). Once fitted to the longitudinal roof bars the whole thing clears the sky roof which was great,wouldn't want to bugger that up on the roof racks!
    Just fitted one stainless plate 4mm with hole drilled for C/K hex key head bolt on each rack fitting , easy as I'm able to slide the wind deflector
    along to suit and tighten.
    Very secure arrangement to suit my solar panels (insect free) and keep the van clean together with so much better vehicle handling, picture to follow.Thanks for your thoughts and potential good deeds!
    Cheers,
    Mick.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Dear Touareg/caravan nears,
    Today’s trip was to Rutherglen (where they have nice wine),installed the purple-line Aero plus wind deflector/air foil and used the recommended towing mirrors (fit on the car mirror-Aero type).
    I had trouble fitting these mirrors because of the ridge on the Touareg mirrors, resolved by using 5mm splined (fly wire screen stuff),this provided a parallel surface for the clamps to securely tighten onto, so easy!
    I checked the twelve pin connector and found the auto sparky had used 8 for + and 10 for -,just changed over to 10&9 to match the van, all good.
    I then measured the vans parallel stance,600mm on each corner, couldn’t ask better than that.This dropped the cars rear by 40mm,air suspension pumped back to level,how great are these Touareg!
    Driving to Rutherglen was a dream run, despite the dodgy road surface that air suspension soaked up all bumps and bounces!
    Today’s weather is the first day we’ve seen a blue sky after three weeks of smoke!
    Such a lovely direction to take the van , solar panel didn’t move an inch and remained insect free due to the air foil.
    Acceleration is both smooth and powerful despite our 2400kg Evernew, this van now tows so well and more so particularly towed by the Touareg.
    Interested to find that during towing the van , the Touareg wouldn’t go past 7th gear presumably because of the smart tow tow area connecting.
    Heather and I have successful bonded with this Touareg/Evernew combination.
    Cheers,
    Mick.

Users Country Flag

Cool

Gday Mate,

Good detail in your post.

I may suggest you also consider clubtouareg.com and take a look at the forum.
    I think it might be right up your alley.....

Volkswagen -Enthusiasten