Support VWWC

Thread: 150TDI Towing

150TDI Towing

Has anyone been using a 150TDI for towing heavier trailers?
    I realise is has the same 3500kg capacity as the V6 but only has 400 vs 550 nms. Wanting to initially tow a 2.5 ton hoarse float, but down the track maybe up over 3 ton. Whilst I would love a V6 I cannot really afford it, so it makes me wonder how the 150 would cope. Less power and lacks the air suspension of the V6 which would probably self level nicely. But there is a bout an 18k price difference which takes the V6 out of my budget. Something like 67K for a 150TDI and high 80s for a V6. OTOH a Jeep GC in the late 50s has more grunt than the touareg V6 so is a consideration. Obviously it does not have the styling and quality of the VW. Will probably fleet lease whatever I get. This mandates dealer servicing and rules out an ECU tune to boost up the output on a 150TDI nearer to the V6. Anyway how do you reckon I would get on towing with a bog standard 150TDI. I am guessing it would work OK, but would just feel underpowered as compared to the V6 or Jeep when doing so.
    Golf Mk6 118 TSI DSG |APR Stage I ECU Upgrade | HEX-USB+CAN

Users Country Flag

Hey assuming you have bought a Tow pig by now what did you settle on? The 150TDI and Diesel Jeep can both be chipped and tuned to get more power and torque - mate bought a Jeep over 150TDI just because of auto leveling suspension for towing as he lives in a hilly area and would rather a level experience.. He chipped the jeep for more power and has done the exhaust system..