Thread: Geelong Revival - RS7 destroyed

Users Country Flag

Geelong Revival - RS7 destroyed

I took myself off to the Geelong Revival on Saturday and VAG brands were well represented in the 1/4 mile sprint by Porsche (various 911s, 944), Audi (RS3, RS7) and VW (Golf Rs). Unfortunately there was not a straight panel left on the RS7 after missing the braking marker and exploding through the water filled plastic barriers that marked the left hand turn exit from the course. It ended up landing on a couple of the barriers and the momentum carried the car right to the end of the run off road.

Luxury car demolished in festival crash - bay 93.9 Geelong
    Indium Grey Golf 7.5 Alltrack 135tdi Premium - all options

It is amazing how many people buy quick cars then run out of talent and stuff like this happens. If you buy a quick car do everyone a favour and go and get some experience driving it with an instructor on a track, even then stuff can go wrong as happened to a mate of mine. He was in the left hand seat of a Ferrari and it went off through turn one at EC and he was badly injured.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    To be fair, the guy won his class at last year's event and was third overall. Sorry to hear about what happened to your mate but we are a bit too quick to jump to conclusions when things go wrong.
    Indium Grey Golf 7.5 Alltrack 135tdi Premium - all options

He obviously blew it, pure and simple, stuff like this has a root cause and you have to ask yourself what went wrong. Missing a braking marker is no excuse in my book, he was the root cause in the end. I know it comes across as being super critical etc but this stuff happens because people do not get training for driving fast powerful cars. YouTube is full of similar incidents. I used to to teach this stuff and the level of skill that some drivers show AFTER they have bought the car used to astound me. Everyone reckons they are a s**t h*t driver but most aren't and I am certainly not. I am certain that if a poll was done here most would rate themselves as a good driver, it is just human nature. I will get off my favorite soapbox now.