Thread: RNS Alternative?

Users Country Flag

RNS Alternative?

DVD GPS DVB-T VW SKODA GOLF V PASSAT SE CC JETTA EOS | eBay

any thoughts and comments?

yes, it is damn cheap!

Users Country Flag
    They're rubbish. I had one. Does everything, but nothing well. Bluetooth connectivity was good. Couldn't skip songs on the ipod, it just restarts the same song over and over, even thought the song title information would change. Constant white noise through the speakers. I replaced it with the RNS510. It really is false economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Mitchell_1983 View Post
    They're rubbish. I had one. Does everything, but nothing well. Bluetooth connectivity was good. Couldn't skip songs on the ipod, it just restarts the same song over and over, even thought the song title information would change. Constant white noise through the speakers. I replaced it with the RNS510. It really is false economy.

100% true....

These units look the part and have every function available but unfortunately they are buggy, unpredictable and unreliable. I bought one a couple of years back, perservered with it for a couple of months until I got fed up with it. The eBay seller I used was very helpful and after a firmware upgrade the unit ran a lot better however it still didn't feel right so I removed it from the car and resold it on eBay. The original seller offered technical support for whoever bought it and a short time later the new owner (buyer) sent me an email to say he was working with the original seller to sort out some problems (screen freezing, slow operation, touchscreen not working etc....) these were the same issues I was having. It's obviously your decision to make but if you want a hassle free install and can live without all the additional functions these units offer then spend the extra money and buy an RNS510 (VW OEM headunit) be sure and confirm compatability with your car first by doing some research as some earlier model cars (pre 2007 from memory) have a power drain issue with the RNS510 which can be overcome quite easily with a CANBUS upgrade.

Good luck
    Russ

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R Premium