Thread: OEM VW Volkswagen Golf MK7 RCD520 with Wireless Apple CarPlay

Users Country Flag

OEM VW Volkswagen Golf MK7 RCD520 with Wireless Apple CarPlay

Users Country Flag
    I think that unit would be VIN locked and not useable in another car unless it is hacked on the PC board. It's not a simple here is the PIN thing anymore.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    Yes, alas if this unit was originally factory installed into the car, it will almost certainly have what VW calls "Component Protection" (CP). This means that the radio (let's call this by its correct name "MIB") will have an internal authorization code that's tied to the donor car's VIN.

Immediately after the first ignition cycle following the installation of the MIB into another car - the CAN network will check the authorization code - which will be incompatible with the new car's VIN, This will create a CP error which has the practical impact of normally disabling the audio in the MIB.

The ONLY official way to erase the CP error is to take it to a dealer. It varies of course, but dealers normally charge a minimum of 1 x hour of their master-tech's time for this fix, which is about $220 the last time that I checked.

It is possible to have CP hacked by third party service providers - I make no comment about this option, other than to include the information in this reply

Don
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I’m not sure the history of the unit as it was in the car when I bought it. All I do know is it has a Tiguan icon instead of a golf so guessing it’s unlocked…

Good point, I’ll update the advert with these details…

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Now sold…