Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rusted Brakes, what to do?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jaackyy View Post
    So it's safe to paint that bit where the rust is? I don't wanna paint it and make my brakes not work properly or something
    Yes the pads dont rub there do they Use the same high temp paint as you do the calipers with You were going to do that werent you
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    In this photo - the black bit you can paint. The shiny dinner plate part with the slots has to stay shiny. (your's doesn't have slots)

Search brake rotor painting and brake caliper painting. There are heaps of you tube how-to's out there

Rusted Brakes, what to do?-dba4000-reardisc-shield-jpg
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    The rusty part appears to be the hub, not the friction face of the rotor itself.
    In the picture that was added later, yes. The originally linked pic only showed the rotor face.

Quote Originally Posted by jaackyy View Post
    So it's safe to paint that bit where the rust is? I don't wanna paint it and make my brakes not work properly or something
    Even if you painted the rotor faces, I couldn't see the paint there surviving more than a second of braking. Of course you could have an accident in that period...
    Resident grumpy old fart
    VW - Metallic Paint, Radial Tyres, Laminated Windscreen, Electric Windows, VW Alloy Wheels, Variable Geometry Exhaust Driven Supercharger, Direct Unit Fuel Injection, Adiabatic Ignition, MacPherson Struts front, Torsion Beam rear, Coil Springs, Hydraulic Dampers, Front Anti-Roll Bar, Disc Brakes, Bosch ECU, ABS

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kaanage View Post
    In the picture that was added later, yes. The originally linked pic only showed the rotor face.

Even if you painted the rotor faces, I couldn't see the paint there surviving more than a second of braking. Of course you could have an accident in that period...
    I've seen people paint the friction face & rely on the brakes to remove the excess. It works but is also can contaminate the pads & smoke like crazy until it burns off.

So at least make a token attempt at masking the friction surface.

I made this dodgy cardboard screen when I did my Subaru

There was overspray but i wiped most of it off with metho.

And it does look better
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Alright, thanks for the help everyone !
    Last quick question, since google is giving me both answers.

When painting my calipers, do I need to prime them? Or can i just wire brush them, degrease them, dry and then spray?

One of my friends says he just cleaned them up, got the caliper paint, sprayed it into a container and painted it on with a brush. They're still going strong 1 year later too.

Users Country Flag
    I just clean, wipe over with metho, mask & use a spray bomb. I don't even bother with heat resistant paint as I know I don't get my brakes hot enough to overheat / burn standard Dulux enamel

any kind of enamel paint will last very nicely on brake parts.

Even export enamel from SCA will last for years and years and years.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    That sounds awesome guys, now sorry if it's a stupid question.. but can I get the caliper paint, spray it into a lid and just use a paint brush to get the job done ? ( I don't want to remove the calipers, but i'm scared I'll get over-spray on other parts, after masking ) Soz, this is just a lazy question LOL

You should watch some dyi vids on YouTube

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag

As above

Watch DIYs

If you want to paint with a brush then save some money & buy a tin of paint.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12