Support VWWC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project Type 82e - '55 Beetle Base - Bringing Back this Bug to Life :-)

Users Country Flag

Smile Project Type 82e - '55 Beetle Base - Bringing Back this Bug to Life :-)

Hi Forum

This will hopefully give a full record of the resto project for my Father In Laws '55 Beetle, which, in the late 1980's/Early 1990's roamed around some of the VW shows and won somw "Peoples Favourite" awards.

The vehicle was done up as a Type 82 e German Wartime Staff car Replica, and my Late Mother in Law and he used to dress in German Uniforms for effect.

The car has been sitting out in the open for many years after it stopped being driven, so now it is in my factory, and ready to live again

Very excited about this project, I have owned a couple of VW's before and spent many many hours with my Father in Law working on Beetles of all vintages (mainly pre 1960).

Trying to work out how I can get some pickies up and show the vehicle, and then the fun begins.

Any tip or tricks will be welcome, as well as recommendations for suppliers.

Hope this adds some value to the group and thanks again for this great group.

Regards

Shane

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

First photos

Some initial pickies from delivery to our factory
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Project Type 82e - '55 Beetle Base - Bringing Back this Bug to Life :-)-98184919_10219597008507931_400079622416367616_n-jpg   Project Type 82e - '55 Beetle Base - Bringing Back this Bug to Life :-)-100619309_10219597008747937_410980395442503680_n-jpg  

Project Type 82e - '55 Beetle Base - Bringing Back this Bug to Life :-)-100770719_10219597012908041_3794882731645599744_n-jpg   Project Type 82e - '55 Beetle Base - Bringing Back this Bug to Life :-)-101835794_10219597013148047_5886721607992344576_n-jpg  

So first things first.

Looking at the subject of sand blasting. Tossing up the idea of buying one or just farming out bits when I need them done.

Any feedback on this. I know I need the guards, bonnet and engine lid for a start.

From research a BIG compressor is the way to go which means an investment of maybe up to $600 or so, and then sort out what sort of blasting delivery.

See if I can get some quotes for shopping it out first.

Shane

Users Country Flag
    I have a 60l 320cfm compressor (Ironair from total tools) and it drives a $59 blaster (Google Shopping - Product not found) easily, but the dust is horrible - it gets everywhere. I made a frame on the ceiling of my garage that I hang tarps from which keeps most of the blasting grit from spreading around but it doesn't stop the dust.

I was planning to sandblast the bodyshell of the car I'm restoring myself but it isn't worth it, I'll do little areas and when I'm finished with the rust repairs I'll probably get the whole shell done. However do I think I will buy a sandblasting cabinet so I can do small stuff.

You definitely need to buy or make a dryer (I made one out of water pipes - google it), the water separator on the compressors regulator isn't nearly enough. I live in a low humidity area and still get a lot of water in the pipes. The harder the compressor is working the hotter it will get so more water will come through

You shouldn't blast the guards etc. anyway, it risks distorting them through heat buildup if not done right. Use a wire brush on an angle grinder for big panels like that.

Thanks for the feedback. I did contact a place who said the panels could warp. I managed to pick up a compressor, even got a discount cause that guy cracked one of the filter intakes when moving it - $60 for a new set which I would have had to buy anyway. It's a 60 L Super 16 so 3ho and lots of air.

I think a cabinet is a great idea for the smaller parts.

Good tip around the dryer, I will do some research on that when I get the compressor up and running and a check over.

Thanks

Shane

So after some discussion the colour will be as per the original build which is German Grey. We will do some stencils for wartime markings.

We also discussed the Africa Corps logo with the palm tree. Probably do a redesign of that to feature a VW symbol rather than the original German symbol in it - times have changed a lot since this car was last doing the rounds of VW shows

So first trip over to my factory for my Fater in law (FIL) for a consulting session.

I am keeping the notes on this blog post as a record to the resto process, so they don't get lost, and also in the hope that they may help someone at some stage

Removed both semaphores. FIL has a stack of them at his house as spares. Both had plastics on good order, these maybe converted to LED flashing units. Will clean up the current ones for reuse.

The VW is 6Volt and will be staying that way.

The body will be coming off the chassis for a full rust/paint/resto.

Suggestion around the passenger door was to leverage on the top of the hinge rather than use the door, the door is already damaged and will need some good repair.

The blinkers on the bumper bars front and rear are harley davidson.

The rear lights on the guards are fibreglass replicas cast off an original spilt window light. The red glass reflector are original.

The rear light on the engine lid is a replica i think but FIL has an original one at home.

The bumper bars will be repaired and repainted body colour German Grey. We will do a project to mockup some "banana" overriders front and rear as per the original type 82e.

The air filter on the engine is a mock up - there are a large number of variances of air filters for the wartime period.

The running boards will be replaced, stainless stell for preference, covered in canvas as per the originals.

Door glass in originals had a small scalloped out section which could provide a small amount of air from just dropping the window a fraction - research this.

Guards will come off, bolts go through to the inside of the bonnet so easy access.

Look to get a more original looking bonnet locking handle.

The horn on the front is a replica similar to original but it is a 24v truck horn so doesnt work. the working horn is behind the pass front guard.

FIL has both a replica and original black out headlight which could be fitted to the existing mount.

The headlights have VW in the glass on the top of them and are rare. Will work out new ones so these can be removed and stored. Will also look to make some replica wartime night covers for display at a show.

The regulator on the gennie is a dummy, the real regulator is inside the car.

FIL has more material to redo the headlining, the current one is a bit narrow and hangs down, this could be used as a good guide for a new one.

The mock "split" section in the oval window is made from 2 halves of the door pillar of a type 3 joined together so glass could be inserted.

Speedo is out of a type 3 vw.

Dashboard is original split.

The shaft/handle for the reserve tank operation is mocked up on the original design.

The petrol tank is an early one complete with the early tank cap.

Bonnet needs some work for a better fit when repaired.

At least one door winder (drivers side) needs to be replaced and rebuilt.

The picture is close to what we are going for as an end result and is very similar to the way the car used to look

FIL had a great time telling me about the various bit and pieces so will be a fun project together
    Last edited by fightingtiger; 08-06-2020 at 07:12 PM.

Project Type 82e - '55 Beetle Base - Bringing Back this Bug to Life :-)-82e-jpgpictuee of another one close to what we would like to achieve.
    Last edited by fightingtiger; 08-06-2020 at 07:20 PM.

picture

forgot to add to the list - steering wheel is original split and FIL has a good condition spare.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast