Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chyb swap.

Users Country Flag

Chyb swap.

Hi all

I have a 2013 vw up! with a chyb that I'm looking in to possible engine conversion as it's just lacking that extra power i need.

I have spoken to sharkie with his turbo conversion that he is currently doing but after talking with him and reading other information online the stock gearbox just won't handle any extra torque.

So I'm on the hunt for either a gearbox conversion to handle some extra torque or a motor conversion with a gear to suit. Sharkie did mention that he thinks there is a polo motor and box that will go straight in. But I cant find any one that's swapped them over.

I am currently waiting on some rough weights and sizes on the dkra with the 6 speed from the up gti in the UK so I can get some shipping quotes as there has been a few citigos that have had thenm swapped over. They have all just been basically fully body electrical swaps though.

Any suggestions on any other suitable conversion so I can keep researching them. Before I just sell the up and go to something else.

Users Country Flag
    5sp ODF from Polo AW 70TSI is common with the Up! 66TSI in the UK. It is rated at 200NM I believe
    Engine and gearbox from the AW 70TSI Polo is exactly the same as the Up!TSI. There have been swaps performed in the UK.

6spd ODQ from the AW Polo 85TSI is common with the Up! GTI 85kw in the UK. It is rated at 220NM I believe
    Engine and gearbox from the AW 85TSI Polo is exactly the same as the Up! GTI. There have been swaps performed in the UK.

For our Ups, given the BCM, Cluster and other gear indicator constraints, the 5sp ODF would be a much easier swap.

I plan on doing this in the future.

All you need to do is buy a wrecked AW Polo locally with the correct engine and gearbox combination and do the conversion. Be much cheaper than buying overseas and shipping it in.

BTW, 66TSI and 85TSI engines themselves are identical and only run a different ECU tune from the factory. Aftermarket tunes have both versions make exactly the same ~110kw.

Dibbs on the seats if you sell yours ....

Also, if you look on ERWIN, you will see the VW docs stating what I stated above. I can email you the PDFs if you want.
    Last edited by Sharkie; 24-10-2022 at 02:06 PM.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Cheers sharkie.

I'd love to see some forums where people have done these swaps. I'm interested in a 85tsi with the 6 speed. After we spoke I've been looking on and off for weeks for conversions and have only come across people doing gti swaps and a couple of cars built for the track with 2.0 tdi swap and the vr5.

I was looking at the gti swaps as I have seen motor and gearbox's with looms for roughly 1200 pound so basically $2200. So I have had roughly freight quotes of $1000 so I could almost do a gti swap for $3500.

That gives me a good baseline for a budget moving forward.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kristianvanek View Post
    Cheers sharkie.

I'd love to see some forums where people have done these swaps. I'm interested in a 85tsi with the 6 speed. After we spoke I've been looking on and off for weeks for conversions and have only come across people doing gti swaps and a couple of cars built for the track with 2.0 tdi swap and the vr5.

I was looking at the gti swaps as I have seen motor and gearbox's with looms for roughly 1200 pound so basically $2200. So I have had roughly freight quotes of $1000 so I could almost do a gti swap for $3500.

That gives me a good baseline for a budget moving forward.
    You will need ECU and all the ancillaries too. You can get a whole scrapped AW Polo for less than $3500 locally and have access to the whole car for bits you may need (including those you did not know you will need...). What you don't use you can then sell to a wrecker (or privately) and recover some costs. I suspect I could offset about $2000 from the parts I don't need against the cost of the car.

Remember the 85TSI engine is identical to the 70TSI, so you don't have to solely focus on the 85.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    Another thing I am going to explore when I myself do the above conversion, is to see if I can use the front and rear hubs from the Polo on the Up!. This way you can go to 5x100 on the stud pattern AND possibly do a rear disc brake conversion. As a bonus, the front brakes then would be quite a bit larger for that extra stopping power needed with the extra power....

So aw polo is basically anything 2017 to 2022. I have had a little look and I've not come across a manual 1ltr yet.

There's a couple of repairable write-offs in autos going through an auction tomorrow that I will check out to see what they sell for to get an idea on what a complete car will be.

But I have a feeling that they won't go over that cheap as they are 2020 ones.

Ideally I'd like to find a cheap up shell or rear ended one to mock it all up in.

Users Country Flag
    Another alternative is to have your gearbox rebuilt with stronger internals to cope with extra power. I have a spare box, so will likely do that depending on the price.

The turbo kit I'm compiling is practically ready, I just need to Up! to be available for about 2 weeks to fit it all up. At present its being used daily as a cheap runaround (the Amarok is too expensive to run daily I'm told LOL)

Honestly how much has the turbo kit cost you?

I've seen people in the UK talking about building the boxes stronger but nothing has ever come of them. Probably because no one produces any stronger internals for them.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kristianvanek View Post
    Honestly how much has the turbo kit cost you?

I've seen people in the UK talking about building the boxes stronger but nothing has ever come of them. Probably because no one produces any stronger internals for them.
    The gearbox will be custom job, there is a place in Brisbane that will build you a stronger clutch and upgrade your gearbox. I'm expecting that to be fairly expensive though.

The turbo kit actually has been pretty cheap, about $1200 so far.
    $300 incl shipping for an OEM 1.0TSI turbo (same turbo for 85, 70 and 66TSI models)
    $135 incl shipping for the custom wastegate setup
    $149 for a blow-off valve kit including piping (for the 1.2TSI but customisable for the Up!) FYI you don't actually need this.
    $249 for the little piggy-back computer box that will modify the fueling
    $250 for the oil cooler kit incl piping and connections.
    $100 for silicone connectors and some stainless piping.
    $50 for the boost tap (including piping) at the MAP sensor on the intake manifold.

I did waste some $$ buying bits I don't need (not listed)

An expense I'm not counting is the downpipe from the turbo which was $1000. You would need to buy that and the cat-back extra if you used another engine (regardless of the source).

Not buying it all at once, lessened the pain ....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast