Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Project Type 82e - '55 Beetle Base - Bringing Back this Bug to Life :-)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Picky of the semaphores we pulled out. all in one piece, need a clean up, repaint and a check out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Project Type 82e - '55 Beetle Base - Bringing Back this Bug to Life :-)-103456969_10219696519555645_356947011001373115_o-jpg  

Removed front and rear bumpers today - new rubber seals to be added to list of reqs.

Front and rear bliners removed. these are apparently old Harley blinkers.

SO next session on beetle:

3 guards off - only front drivers side still on.

Still working on the hinge - smothering it with lubricant today and for the rest of the week.

Discussion around the car has been standing outdoors for 20 years.

2 styles of glove boxes to be built - picture of one style

Discussion around crank handle attachment and mount.

Good progress
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Project Type 82e - '55 Beetle Base - Bringing Back this Bug to Life :-)-glove-box-jpg  

Managed to source a replacement rear bumper - it's off a 61 model and has all the towels rails, but will be perfect for what we need.

Shipping to be arranged in about a weeks time
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Project Type 82e - '55 Beetle Base - Bringing Back this Bug to Life :-)-new-bumper-jpg  

So removed the last guard today - no issues

Picture is of my problem corner holes and rusty hinge which is still stuck.

Next is to get both doors, the engine lid and bonnet off.

Then we look at taking the engine out
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Project Type 82e - '55 Beetle Base - Bringing Back this Bug to Life :-)-rust-corner-jpg  

Had a thought today about removing the hinge.

MAybe a long bolt with two dome nuts, or even champhered sockts that were the right size. Tighten the nut/bilt which squeezes the nuts into the gap expanding it.

But then I found some stuff around removing the pin. Yes the pin is peened in, and rusty, but this might just work

Will look to see if this is possible next time I am at the factory
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Project Type 82e - '55 Beetle Base - Bringing Back this Bug to Life :-)-332025-jpg   Project Type 82e - '55 Beetle Base - Bringing Back this Bug to Life :-)-pin-remover-jpg  

So today checked the size of the gap in the hinge - approx 15mm across. Hinge is 65 or so mm from top to bottom, so some plans to make a pin remover/hinge opener

Also purchase a 6volt charger and price on new 6 volt battery for vw is around the $195 mark so very reasonable.

So some work done today:

FInally removed the bolts and mounts etc. fromm the rear guard - had to cut them out with a cutting wheel. I reckon these 2 bolts have cost me at least 2 hours work.

Started taking off some paint/rust on the bonnet with some josco wire brush attachments for the angle grinder. Only need to use them very softly.

Found some good metal and found the bonnet has more areas which will need to be replaced

Alos had a good look around the hinges with a view to building a pin extraction tool. Will need to make it from scratch. The hinge pins are 8mm tight fit. there is a small amoiunt of hole on each of the bottom part so something to settle a pushing pin into from underneath. the top head of the pin is 10-11mm diameter. They are domed and looking at new ones, they have splines which help them grip when they banged in.

So I "could" maybe drill them out - lots of clearnace for the top hinge pin but the bottom one not so muc. Could take the dome off with a grinder and then drill with an 8mm drill, as long as it was perfectly central. Oversize pins are available (8.5mm).

Some thing like what's on this video is what I will be shooting for YouTube a guy makes the proper tool so looking to see what that would be worth but looks like it could be handy for this a other projects.

That's about it for today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Project Type 82e - '55 Beetle Base - Bringing Back this Bug to Life :-)-small-new-view-jpg   Project Type 82e - '55 Beetle Base - Bringing Back this Bug to Life :-)-small-bonnet-pin-holes-jpg  

Project Type 82e - '55 Beetle Base - Bringing Back this Bug to Life :-)-small-found-metal-jpg   Project Type 82e - '55 Beetle Base - Bringing Back this Bug to Life :-)-small-cuto-out-bolts-jpg  

So have ordered the right tool for the job for door hinge pin removal from the uk

Am in the process of getting my rear bumper picked up and shipped from Perth.

Found a source of new running boards so I figure I will just get them and tick that box off Approx $250 each.

Hinge pin tool should be here next week bumper is paid for - waiting to order the 2 new running boards and doing some research on new panel pieces rather than fabricating them ourselves

https://dasrestoparts.com.au/beetle/...-bolt-kit.html

Lokking at these guys first
    Last edited by fightingtiger; 15-07-2020 at 06:28 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast