Support VWWC

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NP's 20VT MK1 Cabby Build Thread

Users Country Flag

NP's 20VT MK1 Cabby Build Thread

It hasn't taken long!

Last month I bought a 1991 Golf Cabriolet - it has a ripped roof, a few dents here and there, mechanically it's sound, the odd little part needs replacing, but engine and gearbox are very strong still. Shame everything is getting replaced really!

Pics: (highlighting damage mainly!)

8D2B9942 by night photographer, on Flickr

8D2B9945 by night photographer, on Flickr

8D2B9943 by night photographer, on Flickr

8D2B9946 by night photographer, on Flickr

8D2B9947 by night photographer, on Flickr

8D2B9948 by night photographer, on Flickr

8D2B9949 by night photographer, on Flickr

8D2B9950 by night photographer, on Flickr

8D2B9951 by night photographer, on Flickr

I'm getting to work on the interior, replacement roof, bodywork and new paint job first. Then the mechanics will follow later in 2013 with my dad in the UK about to buy a MK4 Golf GTI Donor car (had originally had my heart set on an AEB engine, but now I'm going AGU!).

Things I've already bought:

New carpet and boot lining in Terracotta Red.

Porsche 987 Leather and Alacantara Seats.

This seat^^ but in this style vv

Single Headlight Badged Grill Set.
    Forge Short Shifter (no longer going into my Polo)
    2.0T Coil packs and adapters (coming out of my Polo)

Things I've already done:
    Current engine has been completely flushed and serviced and will be for sale with most of the engine components once my new engine is on a boat over here.
    Interior stripped ready for sound deadening and speaker and electric seat wiring (only electric recline - nothing too crazy)

Things on the shopping list (if anyone can help):

New roof in Red from Prestige Auto Trim in the UK.
    Replacement front bumper.
    Replacement O/S/F Wing (or Guard - whatever you Australians call them )
    Spare stock seat rails for the Porsche Seats (existing one's have had it)
    OEM Porsche Seat Wiring loom - unless someone can instruct me on how to do the seat wiring without it?
    Caliber RCD 110 Retro Head Unit
    Pioneer TS-A4613I 4x6" Front Speakers (pretty certain they're a straight swap)
    Other car audio related purchases.
    Red Grille Surround
    Coilovers (no decision on brand as of yet)
    3 Piece 15x7/8 Wheels
    Chrome Strips, Door Handles, Window Winders, Fuel Cap and Mirrors.
    Replacement glove box (unless dash has to be removed)
    K03s Turbocharger for the AGU unless I can find a compatible K04 for a decent price.
    New Sun visors
    Misc seals/gaitors and random parts.

So yeah - this is going to keep me busy for a long time, but now's definitely the time to do it before the strong dollar falls and the bargains to be had in Europe are thus gone! As a few may know I'm great at finding awesome rare parts and bringing them into Aus - not so great at actually putting them together and getting them to work! But hey we've all got to start somewhere and I am VERY excited about this project.
    Last edited by nightphotographer; 28-12-2012 at 07:43 PM.
    2019 132TSI Tiguan
    2011 Audi S4 Wagon
    1988 MK1 Caddy
    2006 Polo GTI

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Okay well - since posting the initial thread, I found myself a girlfriend, built a house, started a business and well forgot about the old fella. After finally getting my Porsche Seat(s) over from the UK and getting outrageously charged by quarantine, customs etc I think it might be time to make some progress!

I'm selling off all un-needed parts to help fund the project, I don't have the biggest budget right now for the car but it's always been a long term thing. You can PM me for parts - heaps of stuff is already getting taken so be quick!

I am however running into my first dilemma and would really appreciate some input from the more experienced restorers - remember this is my first ever project - and first car I've ever driven without PAS, ESP etc - I'm a complete noob!

So here's my dilemma - how on earth am I going to mount these seats to fit in my MK1 and maintain OEM functionality - i.e. all the adjusters working smoothly etc. What's the easiest and most cost efficient way? And also because this is Australia - how can I do it legally?

Here's some pictures of both seat bases side by side.

And a shot of the seat! I'll be getting the rears retrimmed in the same style.
    2019 132TSI Tiguan
    2011 Audi S4 Wagon
    1988 MK1 Caddy
    2006 Polo GTI

Users Country Flag
    Love the Carpet...
    Hadn't thought about red for mine, but it very well could be the go...
    Actually, I'd probably go for Burgandy to match the roof...

There are heaps of seat adaptors on ebay, but as Peter has said numerous times, probably just as easy to have some made up...
    '90 Mk I Cabriolet 1.8L - My toy... err... Daily driver... - Replaced with ‘93 Mk1 Cabriolet 1.8L <- Soon to be mine...
    '99 Mk IV Bora V5 <-- RIP - Replaced with ’10 Tiguan 147kw <-- Wife's Daily Driver
    '05 Volvo T5 S60 - 2.5L Turbo AWD Replaced with '09 Ford LV Focus Sedan <-- Used by the kids

'07 Eos 2.0 TFSI - Project Eos...

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Is it best if I keep the MK1 bases for when I get adapters made up - or will I not need them? I have a few people interested in buying the seats that's all.
    2019 132TSI Tiguan
    2011 Audi S4 Wagon
    1988 MK1 Caddy
    2006 Polo GTI

I'd keep em, unless you can get your hands on another set of bases. Would make it much easier to fabricate a new base with imo.

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

Users Country Flag
    Put a post in the Wanted section for some seat bases off someones crap seats and sell yours.

If you get stuck I know someone with 70 MK1's. I'm sure he'll have something to suit.

Cheers

Paul

Users Country Flag
    Paul, would he have some Mk2/3 Adjustable height seat bases?
    I need at least 1, as my drivers seat sits way too high... And I'd transfer my leaning, seat cushion, fabric onto the new base...
    '90 Mk I Cabriolet 1.8L - My toy... err... Daily driver... - Replaced with ‘93 Mk1 Cabriolet 1.8L <- Soon to be mine...
    '99 Mk IV Bora V5 <-- RIP - Replaced with ’10 Tiguan 147kw <-- Wife's Daily Driver
    '05 Volvo T5 S60 - 2.5L Turbo AWD Replaced with '09 Ford LV Focus Sedan <-- Used by the kids

'07 Eos 2.0 TFSI - Project Eos...

mk 2 will fit, mk 3 won't, the base/legs are wider.

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

Interesting project, nice to see a cabby (and a LA5Y Helios Blue one at that!) getting some love.

Interested to see what you do with the seats, we commute in the cabby and I am sick of the mk1 seats. They are better than many modern cars seats, but I'm a big bloke and they twist and creak with cornering forces. Be nice to have something a bit sturdier and more modern.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Rusty View Post
    Paul, would he have some Mk2/3 Adjustable height seat bases?
    I need at least 1, as my drivers seat sits way too high... And I'd transfer my leaning, seat cushion, fabric onto the new base...
    Nick's got lots of MK1s and a few MK3's. Not a single MK2 so no seats to suit. Get Andrew to do a cut and weld.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast