Support VWWC

Thread: Manual Conversion of MkV GTI Pirelli Edition

Users Country Flag

Manual Conversion of MkV GTI Pirelli Edition

This might the dumbest question ever asked by someone with little to no mechanical aptitude, so please forgive me.

The MkV GTI Pirelli Editions sold in Australia only came with DSG transmission, but I believe that in other markets they were also available in manual. Would it be possible to convert one from DSG to manual? If so, how complicated would this be with regards to effort and regulation, what would be the major pro and cons, and what would be acceptable donor vehicles for the manual transmission?
    Daily: 2010 Tiguan TDI | Candy White | Manual | 4MOTION | New York Wheels | Comfort Pack | Tinted Windows | Discover Media | MkVI MFSW | Mk7 Climatronic | RVC | Fog Lights | ECB Nudge Bar | Hella 160 Driving Lights | Rola RBXL135 Cross Bars | To Do: Colour MFD
    Toy: 2008 GTI Pirelli | Sunflower Yellow | 3 Door | DSG | Pirelli Wheels | RNS-510 | 9W7 Bluetooth | RVC | Rear Sensors | Fog Lights | To Do: Mk7 Climatronics, MkVI MFSW, Colour MFD

Users Country Flag
    All DSG? Really?

I swear the dealership I was working for at the time, sold at least one manual.

Similar vintage regular GTI would be a suitble donor for parts. Everything will physically swap over, although you'd need to install a pilot bearing in the crankshaft (no big deal). As for wiring and coding of modules, I'm not too sure.

Personally, I'd leave it alone. They'll be worth a bit of money one day.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

surely easier to buy a normal manual gti and tune it?
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    Stronger bottom-end, among other things, in a Pirelli.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by gldgti View Post
    surely easier to buy a normal manual gti and tune it?
    Probably, but it wouldn't be a yellow Pirelli.
    Daily: 2010 Tiguan TDI | Candy White | Manual | 4MOTION | New York Wheels | Comfort Pack | Tinted Windows | Discover Media | MkVI MFSW | Mk7 Climatronic | RVC | Fog Lights | ECB Nudge Bar | Hella 160 Driving Lights | Rola RBXL135 Cross Bars | To Do: Colour MFD
    Toy: 2008 GTI Pirelli | Sunflower Yellow | 3 Door | DSG | Pirelli Wheels | RNS-510 | 9W7 Bluetooth | RVC | Rear Sensors | Fog Lights | To Do: Mk7 Climatronics, MkVI MFSW, Colour MFD

To answer another of your questions - you can swap it to manual with no paperwork/engineering changes.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by gldgti View Post
    To answer another of your questions - you can swap it to manual with no paperwork/engineering changes.
    Thanks. That's a bonus.