Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: BMW e30 325i

BMW e30 325i

Hi guys, thought I'd make a bit of a thread for my e30, even though it's not a VW this is still the forum I spend the most time on by far, and I know there's a few people interested in watching the progress, so instead of continuing to post about it in the mk3 section, figured I'd make a thread here

Early in January I sold the bagged mk3 and soon after flew down to Sydney to buy the new toy.

It's a 1986 e30 325i which was imported into a Australia from London in '99. For those who do not know these cars very well, the 325i was not brought out here (or anywhere except Europe I think) until '88, where the e30 also received a facelift and changed from the chrome bumpers to plastic bumpers, among a few other changes. Basically, this "series 1.5" is pretty rare in Australia, would be surprised if there was more than a couple in the country.

Has all sorts of luxuries my mk3 didn't have, like power windows and sunroof and aircon, and the previous owner had done a lot of work on it, including a respray of everything except the bonnet and boot, 288 shrick cams, 19lb/hr injectors, exhaust, lowering springs, Azev type A wheels, etc etc.

Too much text, so more photos:

Drove it back to Brisbane and it didn't miss a beat. Took it to the track for "happy laps" and had a blast. Got a roadworthy and registered it in QLD. Things were going pretty well until the ECU fried one day on the highway...

Got it fixed up and took it out to another "Happy laps" in the rain, this was a bad idea...

Got a fender off a mate, and straightened out the bumper with a hammer and continued to drive it like that for a few weeks

Bought a new spray gun and a spoilerless bootlid and painted some things up over easter.

Took the fender back to bare metal (obviously not completed photo)

Sprayed with etch primer, then primer surfacer, wet sanded the primer with a block, sprayed a few coats of colour, then wet sanded the colour:

About 6 coats of clear, with the last 2 coats being thinned out significantly more to flatten it out

I'm very happy with the finish, It is acrylic which is never super glossy straight off the gun unlike 2k, but it does look good. Going to leave it a few weeks, maybe a month, before wet sanding it and buffing it up. Fairly confident that it should come up like glass and match the rest of the car when its sanded back and buffed. Guess we'll see in a couple weeks though. If it does come out good I might try the bumper and the bonnet myself as well.

And yeah. I've fixed up a lot of small things as well that I haven't noted, but the pretty much brings us up to now. Have a lot of plans for this car, so stay tuned

If your clear coat is even reasonably flat, just hit it with a machine polisher I reckon - thats worked well for me in the past (random orbital with farecla cutting compound). Sometimes I get scared around sharp curves using the wetsanding because its so easy to go right through

Car looks aswesome otherwise, very tasteful. One of my mates had an '88 320i 4-door that he ended up dropping the 2.5L into - with a set of extractors it sounded awesome.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Thanks for the tip. And yeah these do sounds pretty good, mine doesn't have extractors and I'm not sure what exhaust is on it, but it sounds awesome. Idle sounds pretty aggressive with the cams too

I'll definintely try just hitting it with the buffer before sanding, it is pretty flat, a lot better than my previous attempts at spraying on the old car when I was using cheap gear and had no idea what I was doing. The paint job the previous owner had done is amazing though, there is no orange peel whatsoever, and when it's clean the gloss is amazing, photos don't do it justice. The clear coat alone that they used was $1000 for 5L apparently which wouldn't surprise me. So to get these panels to look as nice, I think it will need a bit of wet sanding to get it perfect. I sprayed enough coats to leave myself some room for sanding, and I've wetsanded clear before (although I will admit, I did go through in a small spot when I got careless) so think I should be fine hopefully.

epic bmw is epic. One day I will hopefully own one of these!

Users Country Flag
    I'm also looking for a E30 325i...
    2012.1 Skoda Octavia VRS DSG Wagon - Carbonio cold air intake and pipe - HPA Motorsports BBK 355mm rotors 6 pot calipers
    APR Stage II ECU - APR 3" exhaust down pipe & high flow catalyst
    APR/HP Roll bars - Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks
    Supaloy lower control arms - Enkei 18*8 Wheels

Re: BMW e30 325i

Yeah its pretty hard to find a clean one, I was searching for months, was lucky this popped up the same time my car sold... I paid top dollar for it, but like to think it was worth it

Spent today building a pretty cool/complicated immobilizer with a twist, obviously wont go into details as that would defeat the purpose, but it will keep the "honest" theifs (those without tow trucks) from stealing it...

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Users Country Flag
    Such a nice example! Great work mate.

Re: BMW e30 325i

Thanks! Have a lot of plans for this car, standalone is in the very near future, and a 2.8 (possibly 3.0 if I can find pistons) stroker is also likely to happen in the next year (have most of the parts lined up already, just need the time to take the car off the road and do it)

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben J View Post
    Thanks! Have a lot of plans for this car, standalone is in the very near future, and a 2.8 (possibly 3.0 if I can find pistons) stroker is also likely to happen in the next year (have most of the parts lined up already, just need the time to take the car off the road and do it)

You know the new RaceRoom beta on Steam has a free E30 you can race round Mount Panorama......

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk HD
    NOW: 2018 MY19 Kodiaq Luxury and Tech Packs: 132kW Petrol 7DSG Sunroof and Ivory Leather
    HISTORY: 2012 Fabia RS (FOR SALE) ; 2013 Fabia RS (SOLD); 2015 Octavia RS 135TDI (SOLD)

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast