Support VWWC

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BMW e30 325i

Really like this Ben, must admit I am jealous. E30's are such nice cars.

Look forward to seeing what you do with it
    2014 Golf GTI PP - Pure White

Users Country Flag
    Nice mate, I saw my old E30 318is the other day near my place, almost tempted to leave a note asking if they fancied parting with it. Did a few little mods to fit elec windows, fogs and the lower front splitter. Wish never got rid and left it sitting in the corner of my garage. Mind you the K's were up there, getting close to 800,000. So some cashola would've needed to be spent which at the time I didn't have.

Re: BMW e30 325i

Holy ****, 800000? thats awesome, really shows these are built to last.

Got a real camera today for the birthday (Canon 600D), so everyone can expect to see a lot of photos as I learn how to use it properly

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

With All Stars car show on this weekend and nothing else to do today, I wetsanded and buffed up the spoilerless boot and the left fender that I sprayed a while back.

Before

Wetsanded

Half buffed

All buffed

Extremely happy with how they turned out, especially since it was a backyard spray job...
    Last edited by Ben J; 25-04-2013 at 06:38 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Nice!

What products did you use?

Plus, how much paint do you have to play with?
    08 Golf GTI - SOLD

thanks. dont have a paint thickness gauge or anything but I didn't rub through anywhere. I sprayed like 6 coats of clear though to give me lots to play with.

Wet sanded with 800 (would have used 1200 but nowhere opem today had any left), then 1500 then 2000. then menz fg500 on a surbuf pad, followed by pf2500 on a medium polishing pad, and then sf4000 on a finishing pad. haven't put wax on yet, but when i do the rest of the car tomorrow/saturday it will get some dodo supernatural wax to top it off

Users Country Flag
    Brave move without a PDG.

Main thing is, it turned out well in the end.

How do you find the Surbuf pads? I persisted with them for a bit but gave up on them, too fragile. They were brilliant when (on the rare occasion) they worked though.

Car is looking awesome BTW. Liking this a lot more than the Golf.
    Last edited by Wolfgang; 25-04-2013 at 08:55 PM.
    08 Golf GTI - SOLD

Thanks man Im liking it more than the golf too to be honest, guess I've outgrown the whole stance thing a little bit.

I figured if I ****ed it up i can just paint it again, a pdg is definitely on the wish list though...

But yeah im not sure if I'm a fan of the surbuf pads or not, for the same reasons as you. They get destroyed pretty fast and I don't like how they seem to mat (for lack of a better word), they do seem to cut better than anything else I've tried though. Mainly only used it because my foam cutting pad was dirty.

Users Country Flag
    They are very prone to overheating because of how thin the foam backing is, letting your machine cool down between passes and using minimal pressure and slower machine speed is the key. I ended up running two of them and swaping from one to the other after each panel. Still managed to cook one 3/4 of the way through correcting a Volvo C30 from being impatient and not letting my machine cool down enough, ended up with foam everywhere when it started delaminating. If they are matting up in the middle you are using too much product. I now use wool pad on a rotary when some serious cutting is required, sooo much better.
    08 Golf GTI - SOLD

Thanks for the tips, I'll give that a go next time im doing someone's car that needs a heavy cut and i use the surbuf pads. Rotary is also on the wish list, the little DA does ok, but takes a lot of work to cut anything but light swirls out of euro paint..

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast